• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

I don't think giving Ice another weakness will change much. It already has many that most Pokémon can exploit. It could perhaps use some resistances, such as to Dragon, but I think it'll be best to try and give Ice types traits that'll make it stronger. It's already a rather strong offensive type, so it needs to work with that somehow. I think making Ice a rarer attacking type can also help, maybe make it so that Water-types don't get Ice-type moves by default or something.

I agree that Water-types should be a lot more limited when it comes to getting Ice moves. They already have a pretty varied moveset, and not giving them Ice moves (with the exception of dual types, and maybe one or two other 'mons) would help. I'd also like to see Ice become more effective against Water, while simultaneously taking less damage from it.

If the poor Ice-type gets another weakness, then it'll just lose all purpose, as it already tanks in defenses. Along with the fact that Water-types can pretty much obtain whatever Ice-type move they want makes it unfair. The Water-type just seems way too powerful as an end result. And I agree, with either a resistance to Water or deal Super Effective damage to Water would give Ice a chance to regain lost ground and make it more welcoming. I love the Ice-type, so I hate to see it turned to slush thanks to the Water-type.

On another note, if this info is true, then the Poison-type will finally gain some ground. It's only good defensively or for stalling purposes, but those positions can be slightly redundant, especially the latter. There are a lot of cool Poison-types, but they all seem to come up short thanks to type disadvantage, so a little help is always appreciated. Maybe they can also fix the poor Psychic-type, as thanks to Dark it lost a ton of power and usefulness. But that might be a lost cause.

As for a new type in general, I'm not sure what to think. Sure, it would be interesting, but we kinda have a large number of types already. Do we really need a new one? Or will it completely change the game's mainframe and possibly the meta-game? I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway, I'm glad new info has arrived. I was getting a little concerned that the lack of info might cause interest to dry up, so I'm glad they mitigated that.

I like the idea, but 'Fairy' is simply better as a type name than 'Love' imo.

I'm thinking fairy is most likely. It seems more pokemon-like than some of the other ideas, it already shares its name with an egg group (and wouldn't be the only type to share its name with an egg group), and there are plenty of normal types that are fairy like, and could easily be spun off into their own type.

Even though nymphs, which are the basis of Sylveon's Japanese and French names, are associated with love (if you know what I mean :p), a "love" type just seems strange. Everything we know about Sylveon seems to give off more of a nature/forest/Fern Gully-like vibe than a "love" vibe anyway, so all things considered, fairy seems to be the best-fitting idea.

In my opinion, I think the Light Type is the only senible one. Isn't Pokemon Types suppose to be based off of elements and stuff?

I really don't like the idea of a Fairy-Type. I think it's rediculas. Someone's got to tell me how this would fit in other with the other elements and make sence as an element.

The Love Type sounds like a good idea, but for the love of Pete, I really DO NOT want it to be named Love Type. I rather have them do the same thing like they did with the Dark Type, and have it be known as Light over in the USA (And other places like Europe that has Dark instead of Evil as a Type.) and Love over in Japan. I would be fine by that.

I swear, I really hope Game Freak knows what the heck they are doing, and they better tread lightly...

Ice type has always been the "strong offensively, weak defensively" type, which in practice has meant players using Ice-type moves on non-Ice-types. I think it's also the reason you didn't see any Ice monotypes for a long time. So an additional weakness for Ice is a pain, but isn't going to change the fundamental nature of the type.

And I don't get the objections to Love as a type. I really don't. Is it that offensive a concept to people? I've even seen claims that it would make the series appear "childish", since, you know, adults are incapable of love, or something.

Ice type has always been the "strong offensively, weak defensively" type, which in practice has meant players using Ice-type moves on non-Ice-types. I think it's also the reason you didn't see any Ice monotypes for a long time. So an additional weakness for Ice is a pain, but isn't going to change the fundamental nature of the type.

And I don't get the objections to Love as a type. I really don't. Is it that offensive a concept to people? I've even seen claims that it would make the series appear "childish", since, you know, adults are incapable of love, or something.
Pretty sure it's the other way around.

Basically. Ice the literal Glass Cannon type. Much like how Steel is the literal Tank type.

Last edited:

In my opinion, I think the Light Type is the only senible one. Isn't Pokemon Types suppose to be based off of elements and stuff?

I really don't like the idea of a Fairy-Type. I think it's rediculas. Someone's got to tell me how this would fit in other with the other elements and make sence as an element.

It wouldn't make sense as an element (of nature), but neither does Dragon or Ghost. both are mythical creatures, so I don't think it would be totally strange if Fairy (or something similar) became a type.

There's Types that aren't "elemental"...Bug for instance, and Dragon (although perhaps that can kind of be seen as an element?), Ghost, those are basically referring to what the Pokemon is instead of its elemental affinity.

Fairy really doesn't seem that out there...Yu-Gi-Oh is aimed a little higher than Pokemon, and it uses it as a Type. Although, in Japan, I believe Fairy is "Angel"...but then again, like I imagine Pokemon would, the Yu-Gi-Oh "Angel" type includes heavenly angels and fairis.

I'm gonna laugh if the fairy type ends up being called the "light" type when it comes over to the states.

Not always. Ghost, Bug & Dragon are based on creatures, for example. Besides, there are lots of reasons why Light wouldn't work as a type in the literal sense (match up, treading on the other types' feet, etc.). Light could only work as an English name for Love, the current strongest new type competitor atm, like how Dark is "Evil-type" in Japan.

The idea of a love type seems incredibly ridiculous. Come on we already dealt with this bullshit with all the captain planet jokes. The last thing we need is it for it to appear in pokemon. I have my gripes with a new type and my main problem is that every "NEW" *hand wave* type already has been touched on already. While I do admit a new type is possible (and this is painful to say perhaps very possible) at this point that doesn't mean my point holds no water a mass retyping is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VEEEEEEEEEEEEERY different from a small retyping which annoyed me about the whole Clefairy Magnemite comparison (I E Being waaaaaaay too forced). So the ideal new type for me is a new type that has been touched on very little. Now finding my ideal new type is going to hard to find especially considering the the ice type strength and the poison type weakness. But even if there is a new type that doesn't guarantee a STAB move. Frankly a new type using a old type move solves both the problem of "the build up" and the whole ice getting a new type thing. I more faith in Game freak design skills not to hurt ice more than Smash not to troll I mean we already saw Pokemon USA troll us by suggesting that the form was a new pokemon.

So what else besides bug and grass can be weak to poison? Something relating to a alternate universal sanctuary? Maybe if it's catchy enough in japanese and there is lore about it.

*moan*

Not always. Ghost, Bug & Dragon are based on creatures, for example. Besides, there are lots of reasons why Light wouldn't work as a type in the literal sense (match up, treading on the other types' feet, etc.). Light could only work as an English name for Love, the current strongest new type competitor atm, like how Dark is "Evil-type" in Japan.
Thematically, both Psychic and Fighting have a claim to be the "light" type, since they're the antithesis of Dark in different ways.

I don't think we'd see Love renamed as Light in English, though; we haven't had that kind of intentional alteration in a long while, and the translators are a lot more literal than they used to be (if only because changing stuff creates more problems down the road, such as with Comet Punch).

There's a good reason TCPi chose "Dark" instead of "Evil" for the US type name - because the Pokemon themselves are neither "good" nor "evil", the main series is about how people use them.

Evil getting translated to Dark actually made sense. Fairy getting translated to Light would be silly. They're barely the same thing.

I don't like Love type nor do I think it's likely because for one, I can't think of any intuitive type relationships that work for it. It's a damn emotion. Second, I thought types were supposed to be things that work as physical attributes. Bugs are anthropods, ghosts are intangible beings, dragons are mostly reptiles, fire pokemon have fire in/on their body, fighting pokemon focus on martial arts, dark pokemon focus on underhanded techniques, and so on. How the hell is love a physical attribute or fit into any of that? What, are they affectionate to the opponent's Pokemon during battle? I...what? Thirdly, it doesn't fit Sylveon the same way the other Eeveelutions types fit them.

Last edited:

All I see around every forum I visit is the constant bash on the name "Fairy" for the new type. And for all you naysayers, the evidence for a new type strongly outweighs the claim for no new type. You can't attribute all of this Pokemon Smash hype and all of the secrecy Game Freak/Nintendo is employing around Sylveon to antics alone. Sylveon's JP name is Ninfia for crying out loud. Nymph. Fairy. Look at every single Eeveelution's Japanese name and tell me you can't somehow relate it to the Eeveelution's type in some way. Only Flareon has an odd one in "Booster." Yet, that can relate to boosters on a jet pack or jet, having the heat and flames emitted. What else can "Ninf" relate to other than the English pronunciation of nymph (The 'n' in Ninfia is a nasal sound that actually is pronounced as 'm' when preceding the consonant sound 'f' makes)?

The name alone screams new type. That didn't make me hop on board as quickly as the holding off on revealing the type did, however. And Pokemon Smash's latest episode only strengthened everything. Fairy as a new type is likely, people. I'm sorry if all you can think of is the stupid little idea of Tinkerbell as a fairy, because I can already tell Game Freak does not. Anything magical, or healing based, or centered around wishes seems to be classified as Fairy. The European lore around anything faerie like is the true meaning of fairy. But Pokemon can take it in whatever direction it desires.

I just cannot stand when someone says "Fairy sounds stupid!" It honestly makes me believe they have no idea what the origin of a fairy really is or what Game Freak tends to embody it as. /:

And Pokemon Smash's latest episode only strengthened everything. Fairy as a new type is likely, people.
Smash strongly implied a new type, but Sylveon's advantage over Ice doesn't scream Fairy.

Nymph. Fairy.
Nymph isn't synonymous with fairy. Nymphs may loosely be classified as fairies when comparing them to actual fairies, but the latter don't exist in Greek mythology.

Look at every single Eeveelution's Japanese name and tell me you can't somehow relate it to the Eeveelution's type in some way. Only Flareon has an odd one in "Booster."
Umbreon's Japanese name, Blackie, doesn't have anything to do with evil, which is Dark's Japanese name. It's a reference to black cats being considered good luck in Japan, which is basically the opposite of what you would expect from an Evil-type species. Umbreon itself is hardly representative of the offense-based nature of its type.

Honestly, if this fairy thing does end up true, I'd rather it be called "Fae" or something similar. It still means fairy, and the younger ones who play the game wouldn't instantly think "little girls with wings!"

So WPM's source predicted Parabola and the names of the four new Pokemon, which means another seemingly trusted source has confirmed a Fairy-type. I don't get though why it has an advantage over Ice in Smash but it wasn't mentioned to WPM. I guess being strong against Ice isn't that notable since every other fucking type is anyways.

Ok, I surrender. They must pay more attention to the meta than I thought to target Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, though. It's nice Poison gets another use other than picking on Grass types again. I suppose having more fun with Steel is good too.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom