• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

What about Grass>Electric? :O

Hm...that one seems like it should be reversed. Lightning strikes are know to burn patches of ground and set fire to trees.

No clue for that one, although it makes me wish it was either Grass=Electric or Electric>Grass.

If the Saturday, May 11th, 2013 @ 3 PM PST update is accurate (disincluding any mention of Ice), we would get a type chart like this:

23wlkh.png

It honestly does not look that bad. Dragon is being brought down a notch by having another weakness, and can now be more easily countered because of Fairy's Immunity. Poison also receives a much needed buff.

Of course, all of this is mere speculation at the moment.

From all the discussion I can see the concept behind Fairy, and the utility of giving Steel and Poison something else to be SE against. Other details still look pretty sketchy to me (immune to Dragon? Ice weak to five elements and still resists only itself?).

Dragon does need to be rung in though, it's been the dominant typing for quite a while so something else to keep it in check is always nice.

As for Ice, it's GF's personal punching bag for typings.

I don't think Dragon's are powered up enough that a new types need to be completely immune to them. Dragons have the best stats because they are super effective against only one type - themselves. if their stats were lowered too much I'd consider them under powered, for lack of super effective damage. In my eyes, the Dragon type needs the high stats. If Dragons were super effective to more than themselves, then perhaps I'd agree they'd be a little overpowered.

Also, I'm slightly biased about Fairies being immune to Dragons, as the Dragon type is one of my all time favourites.

I don't think Dragon's are powered up enough that a new types need to be completely immune to them. Dragons have the best stats because they are super effective against only one type - themselves. if their stats were lowered too much I'd consider them under powered, for lack of super effective damage. In my eyes, the Dragon type needs the high stats. If Dragons were super effective to more than themselves, then perhaps I'd agree they'd be a little overpowered.

Also, I'm slightly biased about Fairies being immune to Dragons, as the Dragon type is one of my all time favourites.

I can understand where you're coming from, but my way of seeing this is, Dragon types are the Pokemon who probably use a wide range of moves other than Dragon Types anyway, so despite the immunity, there're still plenty of choices a Dragon can have to set up for a sure-win against a Fairy.

I couldn't imagine a Love Type coming into the Pokemon world. I have my doubts that Game Freak would choose an emotion or feelings as a Pokemon Type. I'm still hoping we won't receive any new types, however, of the potential new types others have mentioned, I much prefer the Astral type, or the Fairy type, than the Love type.
Why not? They have evil type.

Love is basically the same thing as "goodness".

Evil isn't an emotion. Goodness isn't really an emotion either. I'd find it more likely we'd be seeing an Astral type or Fairy type, or I at least hope that will be the case if a new type is announced.
Love isn't really an emotion either. It's an ideal.

To be clear, "good type" is what I find most likely. "kind" "generous" "peaceful" "loving".
"Love type" just sounds the most marketable of these to me.

and then half-ass logic that nobody's really gonna complain about:

- Dragon power treated as inferior to Fairies, in many artistic portrayal of Dragons are usually guardians/pets of Fairies
- Fairy represents light as opposed to darkness/evil, and wherever light reaches, darkness disappears

Dragons are stereotyped as ruthless mythical creatures, while fairies are typically gentler. It could also fit the "light dispelling darkness" theme. A Fighting weakness probably reflects how delicate most fairies are.

And I'm getting major Ferngully vibes from the Poison weakness.

There is still no proof that Hiro is correct about Xerneas and Yveltal's types, and I find it hard to believe that the version mascots would be so asymmetrical (with Xerneas only have one type that is effective against Yveltal's alleged Dark type).

Groudon and Kyogre, much? (plus Rayquaza being immune to Groudon's STAB)

Wasn't Xerneas rumored to have a second type that Yveltal would have an advantage over too?

Can someone please walk me through this? Who is this Hiro guy? And why do we think that he is reliable? And what exactly did he say ? Thanks a lot...

I dunno, have you ever seen Sailor Moon? Sylveon's bit in the trailer seemed like a homage to Sailor Moon's transformation/attack sequences. And there's no better representative of the power of love than Sailor Moon.

As for the in-game attacks we've seen, they seem to be mostly attacks learnable by Eevee: Trump Card, Double Edge, possibly Last Resort, and one unidentified move. Given how coy they've been about the type thing, they're understandably using attacks that Sylveon can learn, but don't give any hints as to her type.

Its true that Sailor Moon (and other magical girls) draw power from ideas like love, and to another extent friendship, but I'm arguing on the nature of those powers.

For an example: Will Vandom - W.I.T.C.H. Wiki - W.I.T.C.H.ipedia This is one character in particular that reminds me of Sylveon and where it could possibly go. The nature of her powers is similar to Sailor Moon in a ways in which "the heart" could be called a big part of her power or love. However, it is still clearly defined just what her powers are: Quintessence (element) - W.I.T.C.H. Wiki - W.I.T.C.H.ipedia They are still given an element or theme. Notice how similar those powers are to Sylveon's in the trailer.

That doesn't mean that Game Freak won't have at least some kind of theme like that (love or "the heart"), but overall I just think the effect of the powers rather than the cause (or is it the other way around? lol) is what they will focus on. On another note, all these "star theme" can't be a coincidence either, considering Sylveon could have some kind of magical connection to that as well.

At this point, I'm really betting overall on fairy. It would just encompass everything magical, magical-girl like, or aether like in nature.

This sort of spans multiple topics, but I'll put it here since the final conclusion involves a new type. I'm not even saying it is necessarily true (I kind of hope for it, but not counting on it), but it works out rather nicely.

What if:
Let's assume these posts are correct about the starting town and first town being the two in the south-center of the map, and route three leading to the place with the green roof houses. Let's say that city contains Gym #1.

That 5 in Lumiose City would imply that route 4 gets you there, so it is next. Now, to dive into another topic. There was recently a rumor published by Water Pokemon Master, and his source has since gained substantial credibility by correctly having the English names of the newly announced pokemon. He said that the second gym will be a fairy type gym, and if I'm following the path correctly that means Lumiose City.

Now, this has me thinking. For a while, I've wondered if "fairy" type and "light" type could even be one and the same. What if the word for fairy is used in Japanese, but "light" is used for English? It could be similar to "evil" vs. "dark". "Evil" has a connotation, so it was replaced. "Fairy" similarly, has a connotation that might not fit as well in our culture, so "light" could better describe the idea.

Where I'm going with this, is that "Lumiose" screams "light" to me (probably because it is supposed to be from light), and could very well be this "fairy second gym" reported in the leak. Even if the type is "fairy" after all, Lumiose still fits okay, but not quite as well. I don't know what "Miare" means or comes from, can anyone tell if it might have a similar theme?

This is all just speculation, but it really would work out perfect.

- Fairy represents light as opposed to darkness/evil, and wherever light reaches, darkness disappears

Yeah, no. I agree with the other points, but this one makes no sense.

Oh wait, thanks to the other comment I think it's a misunderstanding, I was referring to the Effectiveness against Dark Type rather than Dragon Type here if it were the Dragon Type you were thinking of here.

- Fairy will be a new type weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.
- Sylveon is Fairy-type. Some older Pokemon will be reclassified to Fairy, such as Mawile (Steel/Fairy).

Please tell me this is fake.

Hm...that one seems like it should be reversed. Lightning strikes are know to burn patches of ground and set fire to trees.

No clue for that one, although it makes me wish it was either Grass=Electric or Electric>Grass.

Personally, I think Electric should be weak to Rock or Grass. It only has one weakness, plus Trees often take down power lines and cause power outages (if you need the logic attached)

EDIT: meant Electric, not Grass. Fix'd.

Last edited:

- Fairy will be a new type weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.
- Sylveon is Fairy-type. Some older Pokemon will be reclassified to Fairy, such as Mawile (Steel/Fairy).

I'm almost sure it is, but I would really like it to be true. I hate the idea of having a new type, but having something IMMUNE to freaking Dragon?! Come on, that's awesome! I'm totally up for that.

I'm almost sure it is, but I would really like it to be true. I hate the idea of having a new type, but having something IMMUNE to freaking Dragon?! Come on, that's awesome! I'm totally up for that.

That specific part is the part that feels the most likely to be real, in my opinion. I'd love a fairy (or light) Mawile.

Yeah, when I said fanbase, I meant the fanboys. As in those that just want a new type because it sounds cool. If they make a new type that helps better the type chart, that's pleasing the fanbase. If they just make a new type because, well, just because, then that's pleasing the fanboys.

Does dark really need to be knocked town a peg I mean it share both types it super effective against with ghost. I just don't see the need is that immunity to psychic that big a deal cause two strength two weaknesses sounds fair compared to Ground's five strength 3 weaknesses. It's only profit is that immunity and psychic's have access to focus blast. I mean it's the only thing besides ghost that beats ghost but I don't see how that's dark's fault.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom