• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do we feel about dual type attacks?

Would you like dual-typed attacks in XY?

• Yes, I would like them. It would offer something new and interesting and more strategy in battles.

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • No, it just seems like a bad idea to me. Let's stick with single-typed attacks.

Votes: 86 66.7%
  • Not sure at the moment.

Votes: 21 16.3%

• Total voters
I'd say that whether a dual-type attack is plausible depends on whether its constituent elements overlap. For example, if Heat Wave is Fire+Flying then what happens if you use it on a Parasect? Fire+Flying vs. Grass+Bug = 16x damage? That would be obviously broken.
I wouldn't really say broken; Fire-type and Flying-type attacks already have a high chance of KOing a Parasect in a single attack. You can't really do more damage than a straight out KO.

I love the idea of dual-type attacks. If this really did come to be, I'm not worried they wouldn't tweak and leave it too overpowering or weak.

And speaking on 'realistic' terms, why couldn't Lanturn do an electric Hydro Pump when it should be perfectly capable of both types?

This is still only a rumour right? Someone please tell me it's only a rumour and not something that's confirmed. It's a terrible idea.

I'd say that whether a dual-type attack is plausible depends on whether its constituent elements overlap. For example, if Heat Wave is Fire+Flying then what happens if you use it on a Parasect? Fire+Flying vs. Grass+Bug = 16x damage? That would be obviously broken.
I wouldn't really say broken; Fire-type and Flying-type attacks already have a high chance of KOing a Parasect in a single attack. You can't really do more damage than a straight out KO.
Maybe, but then you could take down like a level 60 Parasect with one hit from something like a level 25. I think that dual type attacks can work, but only in very limited quantities, or with multi-hit attacks.

You could also have attacks that interpret "dual type" differently, such as an attack that deals one type of damage, but can be used with STAB by another type.

Another possibility I thought of is that instead of simply compounding the type multipliers, it could instead average them.

So if you have a dual-typed attack whose respective types are e.g. 1x and 2x against the target, the effective type modifier against that target is 1.5 . Ultimately meaning that while dual-typed attacks are more likely to be super-effective against single types, their SE bonus is generally less than single-typed attacks.

Of course, the latest official XY screens have all but completely ruled out dual-typed attacks simply because there's just no room on the Pokemon's move screen to fit two type icons instead of one.

The rumor says that the XY dual-type attacks are basically attacks that give Stab while doing another type of damage.

IE - Ice Drill gives STAB to Steel-types but does Ice-type damage. Sort of like that Psychic-type attack that deals physical damage and scales with Special attack.

The rumor says that the XY dual-type attacks are basically attacks that give Stab while doing another type of damage.

IE - Ice Drill gives STAB to Steel-types but does Ice-type damage. Sort of like that Psychic-type attack that deals physical damage and scales with Special attack.

I can see that working. It wouldn't be as confusing anyway. Still, I wonder what kind of attacks they would come up with for that.

Someone pointed this out...
may_p5_7_es.jpg

How will a dual type fit?

Yes! :D I'm so happy. Looks like it won't be happening ^_^ Although, on that note, if the information about dual typed moves that WPM posted was not true, then that could mean that multiple pieces of information he was given is also not true despite that a few of them have come true.

may_p5_7_es.jpg

Yes! :D I'm so happy. Looks like it won't be happening ^_^ Although, on that note, if the information about dual typed moves that WPM posted was not true, then that could mean that multiple pieces of information he was given is also not true despite that a few of them have come true.

It could very easily fit if it's like Psyshock but with types. The attack would have, say, a fighting type icon, and the description would say "This attack deals flying type damage" or what have you.

may_p5_7_es.jpg

Maybe the dual type attacks could fill in the same space, like half of the bubble says "Grass" and the other says "Fire" (just examples). I do really hope that WPM is wrong about most of his info, though.

may_p5_7_es.jpg

Maybe the dual type attacks could fill in the same space, like half of the bubble says "Grass" and the other says "Fire" (just examples). I do really hope that WPM is wrong about most of his info, though.

Okay, I can sort of see that working (particularly in comparison to Psyshock/Psystrike), but then isn't that part of what dual-typed Pokemon are for in the first place? And I don't see an easy way of saying that "Steel also gets STAB on this move" to the user. The games never explicitly say that you get a +50% boost for using your own type, only a few hints here and there that a move is "more effective" when used by its own kind.

Okay, I can sort of see that working (particularly in comparison to Psyshock/Psystrike), but then isn't that part of what dual-typed Pokemon are for in the first place? And I don't see an easy way of saying that "Steel also gets STAB on this move" to the user. The games never explicitly say that you get a +50% boost for using your own type, only a few hints here and there that a move is "more effective" when used by its own kind.

You do the opposite: Mark the move as steel but say in the description that it does ice-type damage to the target.

As long as the dual-type attack only as a STAB and not as an actual type, then that's OK with me (I believe someone else mentioned this earlier?). It could also be that the attack has an additional effect of a power boost if another type use it, to simulate the effect of a STAB.

Thanks for reading.

If this came true, fighting types might be able to get stab from elemental punches.

You do the opposite: Mark the move as steel but say in the description that it does ice-type damage to the target.

Yeah, like Psyshock and Psystrike.

"Ice Drill
Type: Steel
Category: Physical
Description: "The user attacks with a metal drill coated in ice. This attack does Ice-type damage."

"Ice Drill
Description: "The user attacks with a metal drill coated in ice. This attack does Ice-type damage."
Then why visibly label it as Steel-type at all?

The type label of a move currently means two things: Its elemental modifier and who gets STAB from it. (Neither of which have any effect on status moves.) If we're going to split the meanings, which makes more sense? I say the former.

"Ice Drill
Then why visibly label it as Steel-type at all?

The type label of a move currently means two things: Its elemental modifier and who gets STAB from it. (Neither of which have any effect on status moves.) If we're going to split the meanings, which makes more sense? I say the former.

But if they can't or won't directly allude to STAB, as you said before, then the only way they can clue the player in on what type gets STAB for such a move is to list that type as the move's type and explain what type of damage it does in the description. Of course, it would be just as easy to start outright explaining STAB and list a move as the damaging type while mentioning the STAB type in the description. None of this is an actual barrier to introducing "dual-type" moves.

I don't like it. I hate triple and rotation battles too. Think about a boosted Blaziken, going through 34 Pokemon with Blaze Kick (Fire/Fighting), all OHKOs.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom