• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I think Game Freak is trying to win back the Gen 1-3 crowd?

Sneazy Sneasel

Is a pretty Sneasel
Reaction score
If you go to sites Youtube and Facebook, you'll notice a large amount people who ether hasn't played a Pokemon game after gen 3 or think the series have gone downhill with since Gen 4, with the poor sales of White 2 and Black 2, it seems Game Freak is trying to win back those "fans" with X and Y, i mean think about it Mewtwo was brought back for no reason, the Pidgey and Zigzagoon evolutionary lines are in the Kalos pokedex which is odd for a regional bird and rodent, and the rumored return of the Kanto starters.

Any thoughts?

I doubt Gamefreak cares about "winning back" old fans when they still have a large fanbase of old and new fan who will be buying the games regardless. This whole thing is probably just a coincidence.

Also, seeing as this thing about getting the Kanto starters is an unlikely rumor, I wouldn't use it as evidence.

I personally hate the New Mewtwo form Gen VI has introduced (my least favorite Pokemon by far of all the Gen VI Pokemon we've got a sneak peek at, most of which I actually like now), personally, and I started from Gen I with the games and anime. My least favorite Gen was IV as well, but I don't think they're trying to win me back. That's just me, though. You may be on to something here. lol. :sweatlol:

I don't think so. GF wants to bring in new kids who have parents with jingly pockets and purses, not old fanbase.
Why not both? A very good question.

There's no reason to believe that any of these things point to winning back lost fans.

Mewtwo getting a new forme is likely just because it relates to XY's apparent theme with genetics. And honestly, Zigzagoon and Pidgey (Really? Pidgey was there too?) means nothing. There's been generations before that have introduced older Pokemon in their regions, and so that people can at least catch a few of them without having to rely on transferals.

I don't think so. GF wants to bring in new kids who have parents with jingly pockets and purses, not old fanbase.
Why not both? A very good question.

Well, crazy thought. Where is the "old fanbase" now? Some of them are the "parents with jingly pockets and purses."

mind = blown

There's no reason to believe that any of these things point to winning back lost fans.

Mewtwo getting a new forme is likely just because it relates to XY's apparent theme with genetics. And honestly, Zigzagoon and Pidgey (Really? Pidgey was there too?) means nothing. There's been generations before that have introduced older Pokemon in their regions, and so that people can at least catch a few of them without having to rely on transferals.
Except those "older" Pokemon didn't include a regional bird and a rodent appearing in a non-international pokedex.

i mean think about it Mewtwo was brought back for no reason

He's the Genetics Pokemon in a generation that's more than likely gonna have something to do with genetics. I wouldn't call that no reason. It actually makes perfect sense.

the Pidgey and Zigzagoon evolutionary lines are in the Kalos pokedex which is odd for a regional bird and rodent,

How, exactly? This has happened in before. Johto, for example, has Pidgey and Rattata.

and the rumored return of the Kanto starters.

Well, being that it's a rumor...I wouldn't count on that, as has been mentioned.

I can't say I feel that GF is trying to win back their old fans. People quit Pokemon for such dumb reasons, that I don't think they could be won back. They have plenty of fans and don't need to satisfy the ones who've quit.

Appealing to the older audience (in regards to Mewtwo) is another thing, though.

Except those "older" Pokemon didn't include a regional bird and a rodent appearing in a non-international pokedex.

And your point being?

GF has broken trends before, and it looks like they continue to do so. So what if they decide to include Pidgey and Zigzagoon in Kalos' Dex? It does not mean that it is a means of trying to appease to older fans.

the Pidgey and Zigzagoon evolutionary lines are in the Kalos pokedex which is odd for a regional bird and rodent,

How, exactly? This has happened in before. Johto, for example, has Pidgey and Rattata.
Johto was right next to Kanto so it made sense to have a Kanto bird and rodent in the Johto dex Kalos is nowhere close to hoenn or Kanto yet we're getting the Zigzagoon and Pidgey lines within the Kalos dex before the regional bird and rodent of gen 6.

I personally hate the New Mewtwo form Gen VI has introduced (my least favorite Pokemon by far of all the Gen VI Pokemon we've got a sneak peek at, most of which I actually like now), personally, and I started from Gen I with the games and anime. My least favorite Gen was IV as well, but I don't think they're trying to win me back. That's just me, though. You may be on to something here. lol. :sweatlol:
Gen 4 was good imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johto was right next to Kanto so it made sense to have a Kanto bird and rodent in the Johto dex Kalos is nowhere close to hoenn or Kanto yet we're getting the Zigzagoon and Pidgey lines within the Kalos dex before the regional bird and rodent of gen 6.

It could just be that those Pokemon are also native to Kalos. And we don't know for sure that Zigzagoon and possibly Pidgey are before the regional bird and rodent of Gen VI.

Gen 4 was good imo.

It never really clicked with me as much as the others gens have. Though it could be moreso because of my disappointment with the Gen 4 anime that transferred over to the games, IMO. I know Gen 5 has been the worst received yet, though, but I've enjoyed it more than Gen 4 myself so far.

I don't see the divide/break to begin with. Various people like each gen more or less, depending on their own preferences, there isn't some kind of pattern to say that there is a particular reason for it that is anything other than unreasonable expectations, or maybe being over-nostalgic regarding earlier generations because they are childhood memories, when the quality itself hasn't changed, just the people themselves who have these opinions. Game Freak doesn't need to 'win these people over', because there's nothing they can do to try to do that. It's impossible. They will like or dislike as they see fit, after they do their best it's mostly out of their hands. They are just keeping it real, trying to do right by the pokemon world as a whole, and if some people like it, that's awesome, and if some people don't, then whatever. Everyone is never going to be happy. If it ever happened, a few people would change their minds and decide to hate it, just to be contrary.

If you go to sites Youtube and Facebook, you'll notice a large amount people who ether hasn't played a Pokemon game after gen 3 or think the series have gone downhill with since Gen 4,

Don't mean to sound rude but, what else is new? People have their favorite gens and opinions on others, but they don't count for the majority nor are they Game Freak's focus. No different than people saying that they haven't played since Gens 1 or 2.

with the poor sales of White 2 and Black 2, it seems Game Freak is trying to win back those "fans" with X and Y, i mean think about it Mewtwo was brought back for no reason, the Pidgey and Zigzagoon evolutionary lines are in the Kalos pokedex which is odd for a regional bird and rodent, and the rumored return of the Kanto starters.

Any thoughts?

Like said, its probably the Genetics theme which is why Mewtwo is back. There were even small hints in the previous Gen 5 that Mewtwo might get some kind of new focus, such as the signature move after 4 generations and the promotional events. (Also its remake of sorts, Genesect)

As for Pidgey/Zigzagoon, the Pokedex simply needs to be filled out. Nothing more to it than that. Seriously, this thread might have made more sense one Gen ago when GF really did try to bring back the older fans with Black/White.

With BW2, I think people were just very confused by it, since before we've always had a 'special version', rather than a sequel, and then this happens? I gather quite a few people deigned not to get it because they had weird ideas that a sequel was somehow inferior to a special version, when actually the sequel was kind of better. I mean the special versions are almost literally a replay of the other versions, while the sequel actually had quite a lot of new things in it and a different story altogether. In the future, I wouldn't mind sequels rather than a special version.

The gen 1 starter rumor came from Pokebeach if there wasn't a good chance of the rumors being true Pokebeach would have never posted them and quite frankly to me bringing back gen 1 starters in a game that isn't a remake seems like an attempt to please genwunners.

I don't think Genwunners would even buy X or Y. Putting starters in the game with the intent to please them would be useless. Putting the starters in there is just a way to help complete the Pokedex. Isn't that why they were in Johto and Hoenn?

They've given out starters from older games before, though. Both in game, and through events.

Gen I-III crowd? You mean Gen I-II crowd, right? The people who claim to like the "originals" usually don't like Hoenn, heck, some of them hate even Johto. But no, I don't think Game Freak is doing such thing, the Kanto starters thing is just a rumor and besides that, is there any evidence to believe they are trying to win anyone back? I read some people saying that the designs of Generation VI are Kanto-like or something, but I don't think that is the case, they are... Pokémon-like, at least to me.

Besides the point, I suppose, but I really don't find the new pokemon Kanto-like at all, personally. If they resemble anything, I would say they resemble the Hoenn Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom