• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I think Game Freak is trying to win back the Gen 1-3 crowd?

Their best bets in this regard are remakes.

They already remaked the two generations that the few disbanded fans of the franchise like. Those people don't really like RSE.

Unless they choose to re-remake RB or GSC... but that would be awful.

Am I the only one here who kind of agrees with Macromaster?
To me, it doesn't seem like they are trying to win back the Gen I fans that have already left the franchise, but they do seem like they are definitely trying to please the Gen I-III fans that are still part of the fandom.
Finally! someone who gets what im saying.

I'd say they are, but for completely different reasons. Us original fans wanted to play pokémon on a home console, not just a handheld. GF hasn't made one yet. They've all been spinoffs or half-baked titles made by other developers. Some Wifi Store games have been decent steps in that direction, but they're not very substantial.

GF is making a lot of changes to their design in X & Y. 3D models being the biggest we've seen so far. The entire look of the game is different. I would say that this was a marketing decision to communicate to the consumer that "this game is finally something new." (as opposed to all the previous 5 Gens being more or less the same game)

Reinventing Mewtwo would also do this. Revisiting the first legendary could convey the idea that this game is a new beginning: "Pokemon 2" as opposed to "Pokemon 1.6".

Of course, this is wishful thinking coming from a guy who wishes he could have a Pokemon game with scope and development comparable to the next big Zelda game. But I fear that day will never come. Pokemon is just to easy too sell for them to spend so much money on it. But, I still am holding out hope for a Super Smash Bros: Pokemon some day... :') A man can dream...

I don't know what are you're trying to imply with "a development comparable to the next big Zelda game"

Also, Gen 6 will still be more or less the same game, only with fully 3D graphics instead of 2D/poor man's 3D of older games

To me, it doesn't seem like they are trying to win back the Gen I fans that have already left the franchise, but they do seem like they are definitely trying to please the Gen I-III fans that are still part of the fandom.

Why is it that they're supposedly trying to please just the Gen I-III fans as opposed to all of them? (For clarification; if they're only fans of Gen I-III, wouldn't they have been left the fandom?) They haven't specifically done much of anything, unless you count Mewtwo, that is catering more to certain fans than to others at this point, if you ask me. They're trying to please everyone.

Why is it that they're supposedly trying to please just the Gen I-III fans as opposed to all of them? (For clarification; if they're only fans of Gen I-III, wouldn't they have been left the fandom?) They haven't specifically done much of anything, unless you count Mewtwo, that is catering more to certain fans than to others at this point, if you ask me. They're trying to please everyone.
I meant that like Gens I-III better than the others, but still play the others.
And it's not just Mewtwo... In the very first trailer that was released for these games, Iwata gave us a brief history of the previous gens, but did you realize he focused mainly on Gens I-III and then kind of skipped through the rest? And I don't remember them doing something similar when Gen V was released? Even for Newtwo, on the website, they have a whole recap of him from previous games, including Red nd BLue... I do not recall this happening for Gen V... Same thing for Sylveon
Why is it that they are continuously reminding us of the very first gens, when they never did it for Gen V or IV iirc? Usually, they may mention a change from the gen directly before it, but they never wen't all the way back..... They seem to be trying to bring out the nostalgia for the older fans.
And that's only the games... If we count the anime in to this... They brought back Charizard and Mewtwo, and now Butterfree.....
I guess you're right about pleasing everyone, but they're not always trying to please the older fans, it seems this time they are more though.....

They already remaked the two generations that the few disbanded fans of the franchise like. Those people don't really like RSE.

Unless they choose to re-remake RB or GSC... but that would be awful.

I was meant to say that remakes are the games people should say are attempts at winning back fans who've already left, not a completely new release simply because old pokémon are present. Must be my wording.

I meant that like Gens I-III better than the others, but still play the others.
And it's not just Mewtwo... In the very first trailer that was released for these games, Iwata gave us a brief history of the previous gens, but did you realize he focused mainly on Gens I-III and then kind of skipped through the rest? And I don't remember them doing something similar when Gen V was released? Even for Newtwo, on the website, they have a whole recap of him from previous games, including Red nd BLue... I do not recall this happening for Gen V... Same thing for Sylveon
Why is it that they are continuously reminding us of the very first gens, when they never did it for Gen V or IV iirc? Usually, they may mention a change from the gen directly before it, but they never wen't all the way back..... They seem to be trying to bring out the nostalgia for the older fans.
And that's only the games... If we count the anime in to this... They brought back Charizard and Mewtwo, and now Butterfree.....
I guess you're right about pleasing everyone, but they're not always trying to please the older fans, it seems this time they are more though.....

I guess I can see what you're saying. I guess part of it is for the newer fans who didn't get to experience Mewtwo and they also mentioned experienced fans know Eevee has 7 evolutions on the site. They couldn't do it for Gen V since it wasn't related to any other regions (being the first one since Gen I to do so) and there was nothing they could really refer back to from past games. As for the original Direct, I assume it was because Gens IV and V were the most recent and he was generally taking about the differences in years of release dates for the games between countries (by Gen IV, the gap wasn't so great anymore).

But you do bring up good points regarding the anime bringing back Charizard and Butterfree.

I guess I can see what you're saying. I guess part of it is for the newer fans who didn't get to experience Mewtwo and they also mentioned experienced fans know Eevee has 7 evolutions on the site. They couldn't do it for Gen V since it wasn't related to any other regions (being the first one since Gen I to do so) and there was nothing they could really refer back to from past games. As for the original Direct, I assume it was because Gens IV and V were the most recent and he was generally taking about the differences in years of release dates for the games between countries (by Gen IV, the gap wasn't so great anymore).

But you do bring up good points regarding the anime bringing back Charizard and Butterfree.

Did they do it for Gen IV though? (I honestly don't remember that well, but I don't think so...)
Anyways, you're definitely right about the Gen V relation thing, I should've noticed that. But it brings me to my main point... (Which I should have said in my very first comment...):

In my opinion, there are two "extremes" of types of Pokemon fans; ones who think GF should stop doing things the same over and over again and try something new, and ones who think that GF should stop adding new things and stick to the originals. (Not everyone is part of either extremes.) So this is how I think it is: the reason they wanted to make V new and different from the others is because they were mainly aiming for the first extreme type, but that pissed off people that were closer to the second extreme. So now they are trying to make up for it with VI, but they are, at the same time, trying to please the first extreme too. Thus, they are going back to the originals, but still adding new things.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the reason I think VI is trying to please I-III fans more is because V didn't. However, as you said, VI is not completely focusing on pleasing the second extreme, but both extremes, thus all fans. And that did not seem to be the case with V since it seemed to focus only on the first extreme.
So the idea of "Gen I-III trying to win back the older crowd" probably arised from the contrast between V and VI in the way they want to please fans.
(Okay..That was a lot.... I think I'll sleep now.....)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the reason I think VI is trying to please I-III fans more is because V didn't.

...Because Gen V slathering the C-Gear with Kanto Starter Skins, shorehorning events for Kanto legends/starters, making sure Rage Candy Bars and Moo-Moo Milk can be bought, making sure many Gen II & IV monsters were available early in BW2 all while shoving down loads of Gen I & II refs (Team Rocket) wasn't enough? And this is putting the disgustingly shameless publicity Kanto is getting from the anime aside.

Yes, I get it, it came first, I started on Blue myself and only its remake (thanks to Gen III mechanics) can challenge it for the title of "hardest Pokemon main game". Yes, Gen II is popular due to its indirect sequel status along with its many one-off bells & whistles, you DO NOT want to ask me what I think of them as playable games. Their remakes (which touched upon none of the previous flaws btw) screwing over the rightful games of that generation made things worse.

Geez, I'm at the point where I thoroughly cannot stand Gen I. And what's with this "and Gen III" fans talk? If anything, Gen III fans have been getting the short-end for a long while. Sure we get our references to what an amazing tropical paradise Hoenn is. We KNOW that. Part of the reason we love it. But why is it that Gen II's stuff gets usable status when my beloved and far more effective color flutes are reduced to under-glorified "rare finds" that serve no purpose other than to be sold and not even for much?!

If Gen III fans were being reached out to then why were something as amazing as Secret Bases a one time deal? Why the hell is Gen V's idea of Diving so piss poor? Why are Hoenn's monsters actively getting the cold shoulder when the large majority of our guys (even at their weakest) didn't need a fancy need evolution two generations later to have a purpose and kick moderate degrees of ass across the tiers?

The one thing Gen V that DID harken Gen III's spirit was its region one heck of a fun place to explore. Pales in comparison to Hoenn but hey, its the thought that counts.

I...Argh the title of this topic just rubs me... Sorry all, just... Just go on with your conversation.

EDIT: To poster I quoted: Nothing personal nor did I intend to put you on the spot. But you just brought up a point that not even I could overlook at this point.

Last edited:
I don't see how they're trying to win the older crowd.

If nothing else, they really are banking very hard on the nostalgia factor and personally I'd wish it stop. (Thanks btw, that's what I meant to say in my original post but couldn't slip it in anywhere.)

Too be fair Newtwo has won me over as one of the "gen1-3 crowd." Granted, I am a slightly overzealous Mewtwo fan. On the other hand the only reason I dropped off from Pokemon to begin with was I didn't want to pay $100+ for a Nintendo DS When Pokemon D/P was the only game that interested me.

Did they do it for Gen IV though? (I honestly don't remember that well, but I don't think so...)

I don't remember either. If they did, it was probably relating Weavile to Sneasel, Mime Jr. to Mr. Mime, or Munchlax to Snorlax (since I know they were revealed early). Other than that, I don't see any reason why they would or could. Gen VI's early Pokemon reveals are related to Kanto's, so they can make the connection.

I don't really see Game Freak trying to cash in on the crowd who primarily liked the first two generations, as I don't think that the fans the OP talked about would generally like the third generation. Mewtwo probably connects with the genetics theme they could be going with. If they are introducing older Pokemon in the Kalos region, then it would probably just so that people can catch some older Pokemon without transferring them. Plus, they might not want to have another region with only the then new current generation right since they started off the fifth generation in the same fashion. I still doubt that we'll get the Kanto starters and if we do, it wouldn't be until the post-storyline.

I think it would make a lot more sense if they were just trying to appeal to everyone, instead of primarily older fans who haven't played the games in years. Not everyone is going to be happy with the final product. That would be difficult, if not impossible, for any kind of game, but by making it a game new players, long time players and players who haven't actually played a Pokemon game in years could potentially find appealing and enjoyable, they would have a better chance of getting more people interested in buying the games, which is what they care about the most.

Last edited:
I don't know what are you're trying to imply with "a development comparable to the next big Zelda game"

Also, Gen 6 will still be more or less the same game, only with fully 3D graphics instead of 2D/poor man's 3D of older games
By that, I mean big budget. A huge production. More. Zelda's always a big deal to Nintendo and they try to make it larger than life. Pokemon as it is right now is mostly a laundry list of things you gotta' do and each gen adds some things to the list. My imagination has to work overtime and gets exhausted after a while. Pokemon's the opposite of immersive. Don't even get me started on how much time of the game is spent in menus...

Ya Gen 6 is still gonna' be a turn-based game where pokémon can only learn four moves and you travel the region to collect gym badges. But it was a big decision for them to move away from sprites. If they are ever going to see if their fans are open to new things with pokemon, it's going to be this game. So I want to believe in a lot of the rumors about new types and various typical sort of improvements that would be taken for granted in other franchises but are taken for denied in pokemon. I was incredibly excited when it was revealed that we'll be able to walk diagonally. And that's just sad.

Hopefully they do take chances and are successful so that we can finally get a huge game. For a tiny inkling of the pokemon that never was, but could so easily be, check out videos for Pokemon Generations (on windows). It's a small test for a fan game that leaves much to be desired. But just looking at even those dopey graphics makes me 10 times more excited than any handheld pokemon game to date.

Last edited:
Too be fair Newtwo has won me over as one of the "gen1-3 crowd." Granted, I am a slightly overzealous Mewtwo fan. On the other hand the only reason I dropped off from Pokemon to begin with was I didn't want to pay $100+ for a Nintendo DS When Pokemon D/P was the only game that interested me.

I think they just won Gen 1 and 2 crowd. They didn't win back Gen 3 crowd yet. I do hope Game Freak will not put too many Gen 3 Pokémon into the Kalos Dex, as FRLG and HGSS are remade from RBGY (Gen 1) and GSC (Gen 2), and there's no need to remake them.

I think they just won Gen 1 and 2 crowd. They didn't win back Gen 3 crowd yet. I do hope Game Freak will not put too many Gen 3 Pokémon into the Kalos Dex, as FRLG and HGSS are remade from RBGY (Gen 1) and GSC (Gen 2), and there's no need to remake them.

...I seriously hope that bolding there was a typo because leaving out many Gen 3 pokemon isn't going to win back any Gen 3 fans.

Speaking of which...

I grew up with pokemon ever since Gen 1, and I'm part of the 'Gen 3 crowd' because when my peers started leaving pokemon, I fell in love with the Hoenn region all over and stayed with Gen 3 for a long time. It breaks my heart to hear that Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald are getting the worst treatment ever in the Pokemon franchise with no direct connections to the other games, no remakes, much less a mention, only the Golems, the Eon siblings, and the double Champions appearing once in a while to remind us that Hoenn exists somewhere and even when people talk about Gen 3, all they seem to remember is FRLG - everyone's favorite friggin KANTO.

I don't know why Hoenn is getting the cold shoulder. Hoenn was where abilities first appeared. Hoenn was where berry-farming first started. Hoenn was where double battles and tag battles started. Contests? Diving? The Battle Frontier? The friggin EV berries everyone loves? They all originated from HOENN. And people only think that FRLG is the only Gen 3 game out there. Hoenn EXISTS. RSE EXISTS, and it's more than thanks to HOENN that competitive playing exists, for god's sake!!

Sorry for the rant, but Hoenn is just being "conveniently" left out from everywhere, even when people talk about Gen 3 and nostslgia, Hoenn is almost never touched upon. GF isn't doing anything much to win back the HOENN fans.

...I seriously hope that bolding there was a typo because leaving out many Gen 3 pokemon isn't going to win back any Gen 3 fans.

Speaking of which...

I grew up with pokemon ever since Gen 1, and I'm part of the 'Gen 3 crowd' because when my peers started leaving pokemon, I fell in love with the Hoenn region all over and stayed with Gen 3 for a long time. It breaks my heart to hear that Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald are getting the worst treatment ever in the Pokemon franchise with no direct connections to the other games, no remakes, much less a mention, only the Golems, the Eon siblings, and the double Champions appearing once in a while to remind us that Hoenn exists somewhere and even when people talk about Gen 3, all they seem to remember is FRLG - everyone's favorite friggin KANTO.

I don't know why Hoenn is getting the cold shoulder. Hoenn was where abilities first appeared. Hoenn was where berry-farming first started. Hoenn was where double battles and tag battles started. Contests? Diving? The Battle Frontier? The friggin EV berries everyone loves? They all originated from HOENN. And people only think that FRLG is the only Gen 3 game out there. Hoenn EXISTS. RSE EXISTS, and it's more than thanks to HOENN that competitive playing exists, for god's sake!!

Sorry for the rant, but Hoenn is just being "conveniently" left out from everywhere, even when people talk about Gen 3 and nostslgia, Hoenn is almost never touched upon. GF isn't doing anything much to win back the HOENN fans.

Well, you have to remember that originally the reason gen 1 and 2 got remakes was because they weren't compatible with gen 3 onwards. They had to be remade so people could trade. Technically, R/S/E do not need remakes as they don't have compatibility issues. If they were to be remade, it would solely be for the aesthetic changes. And with the graphic overhaul they are doing with gen 6, basically all previous generations need remade if aesthetics is the only reason to remake them which I doubt GameFreak would be willing to do (would be pretty snazzy if they did). Now don't get me wrong, I love gen 3 (either my favorite or a very chose second after G/S/C) so I'm sure as hell rooting for some Hoenn love this gen.

Speaking of which...

Well, you have to remember that originally the reason gen 1 and 2 got remakes was because they weren't compatible with gen 3 onwards. They had to be remade so people could trade. Technically, R/S/E do not need remakes as they don't have compatibility issues. If they were to be remade, it would solely be for the aesthetic changes. And with the graphic overhaul they are doing with gen 6, basically all previous generations need remade if aesthetics is the only reason to remake them which I doubt GameFreak would be willing to do (would be pretty snazzy if they did). Now don't get me wrong, I love gen 3 (either my favorite or a very chose second after G/S/C) so I'm sure as hell rooting for some Hoenn love this gen.

For issues, when I say Gen 3, note that I am referring to RSE the HOENN games, not FRLG. I don't feel the need to talk about Kanto here when they were already featured in HGSS not too long ago.

Technically, yes, they can still connect to the DS for migrating, but eventually, there will be a time when Hoenn will be the last region left out. Also, Gen 3 is already the last region that can't use any of the features that were included in the game since Gen 4.

Like I said before, most of what we take for granted while playing the game nowadays have been introduced in Hoenn - a region that's already under-appreciated like hell. Hoenn was the first to enable us to play competitively by allowing us to change EVs using berries and introducing abilities and nature. I'm not saying the region should be worshipped like Arceus. It needs recognition in some way, and they fact GF is just leaving Hoenn to fade away from people's memories, it's heartbreaking. As a personal Gen 3 - read, Hoenn - fan, this is plain disappointing. Yes, I like how the Ralts family is confirmed to be in the Kalos region (Kirlia appeared in the demo battle clip), but of course I'd love more Hoenn promoting features.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom