• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Play D/P on January the 12th!

kc_alex2

Supreme King
Reaction score
Orignal by Junichi Masuda

Greetings. Happy new year!
We look forward to your support
and encouragement.

In 2008, we Game Freak will try for
various things as always!
And we will keep striving to create
new innovation beyond the imagination.

Well,
I'd like to ask a question to you.
Do you have an aspiration for this year?

I, Masuda's aspiration will be
'to gather up stuffs firmly'.

Last year was the year of 'Challenge'...
This year, I'd like to gather many things up firmly.
If you don't have any aspiration yet,
try to come up with one!

Oh, yes.
Here's a little surprise for you.

Please play Pokemon Diamond / Pearl on January 12th.
You'll find something different!!!!!

I hope this year, things go well for all of you.

See ya.

That´s not a joke! It´s a little suprise during the 40th birthday of Masuda.

Source:
http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir/?p=153

And in English:
http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/?p=41

There are only three possible methods by which players can find something "different" in Diamond and Pearl, at least without attending an event: 1) GTS; 2) Wi-Fi Battle Tower; 3) Wi-Fi Mystery Gift.

The first two methods have seen use since the release of the games, so much so that they are no longer different to players' normal experience. The only thing that can be done differently in that field is data fed to the server by Nintendo, rather than the player themselves. That, too, has been done for the GTS before (the Psyduck and Ponyta mass exchange); Wi-Fi Battle Tower based on Nintendo-fed data would be akin to regular, off-line Battle Tower play. Therefore, we are left with Wi-Fi Mystery Gift.

I would wager that the item to be delivered will be modest, that is to say, not the Membership Pass, simply because of the very short notice that has been given. Whatever it is, I do hope it manages to stick out from the rather redundant giveaways with which the normal DS Mystery Gift has come to be associated.

How exactly is this all supposed to work? I'm really interested, and I've only recently gotten a wireless router to use wifi with.

Do note that on the pokemon website recently, a silhouette of Darkrai has been seen to regularly appear and float around, and Nintendo have given no real answer as to what it is (for those of us who haven't already seen Darkrai in it's full glory already)

Do note that on the pokemon website recently, a silhouette of Darkrai has been seen to regularly appear and float around, and Nintendo have given no real answer as to what it is (for those of us who haven't already seen Darkrai in it's full glory already)
You seem to be implying that either the Membership Pass or Darkrai itself will be distributed this Saturday. If you think carefully, you will see that it does not make much sense for Darkrai to be revealed tomorrow and distributed immediately afterwards. Such a thing is only possible if they are planning to hold the distribution on multiple occasions, the first of which being on the day following the English unveiling. Even then, it assumes that Darkrai will be revealed to Europe and Australia, as well; there hasn't been any indication of that.

Considering that Wi-Fi Mystery Gift is a surprise in and of itself, there is no need to hit two birds in one stone by distributing Darkrai right away. After all, Japan is the only country that is "ready" to receive the Membership Pass (they've only received the movie Darkrai, which was by other means), but it would be a shame if Wi-Fi were somehow made region-selective.

to be honest I would be happy if they handed out a crappy pokemon like bidoof over wifi that way at least the wifi mystery gift option would be used I hate when the put some thing into the games code then never use them. I doubt that the event activations will be sent this way if they are even used it will be some gathering of poke fans like JAA or the manaphy give away or god forbid given out only at one or two parts of the country like deoxys in New York and Huston.

I doubt that the event activations will be sent this way if they are even used it will be some gathering of poke fans like JAA or the manaphy give away or god forbid given out only at one or two parts of the country like deoxys in New York and Huston.
It is, however, fair to expect that after the first distribution (via normal Mystery Gift) of the event Pokémon, subsequent distribution methods will be done via Wi-Fi Mystery Gift.

They can also choose to create a division in which normal Mystery Gift is used for direct transfers (as has been done so far) and Wi-Fi Mystery Gift - for downloading items that trigger in-game events (all of which are unobtainable as yet, even in Japan).

For non-event Pokémon, they could separate Wi-Fi Mystery Gift from the normal feature by having downloadable Pokémon that are actually worth the download. Thus far, all of the non-event Pokémon downloaded to Diamond and Pearl have been devoid of rare (i.e naturally unlearnable) moves; Wi-Fi should change that.

Last edited:
That´s not a joke! It´s a little suprise during the 40th birthday of Masuda.

Source:
http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir/?p=153

And in English:
http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/?p=41

I do so love badly translated Japanese!

now, the mystery here is, as Wi-FI was'nt mentioned as being necessary for this "Surprise", will the event be triggered by the internal clock, or something over WI-FI?

for me, i almost hope (but severely doubt) that its the former, as i dont have WI-FI!

Although i belive that if it was merely an internal clock event, then it wouldnt be a monumental surprise, as surely we could just access it anytime.

either way, im rather excited and cant even hazard a guess. Any informed guessees?

Jan. 12? Okay, but what time zone? In some places, people may play on the 12th and discover that, in Japan, it's the 13th already. So, what time zones?

Unless it's the internal clock, of course...

If anybody's wondering about the significance of the date, the 12th of January is Masuda's birthday. He'll be forty!

EDIT: Oh yeah, the OP beat me to that observation. Hmmmm.

While I do wonder if this will be a Japan-only thing, I must admit I'm very curious indeed. I'll be playing on the 12th, naturally >.>

Last edited:
Since it's on a Japanese blog and is written in Japanese by a Japanese person for a Japanese audience, it's safe to say that this is a Japanese-only event.

Duh.

And if it is only an in game change and not a wi fi give away why bother to remove it in the other languages. If it is a wifi thing then how can they stop the rest of the world from joining in?

Could be an internal clock thing. Nobody may have bothered to check something like this. Hopefully, someone with expertise on this sort of thing will quickly be able to find out if that's really what it's all about. Otherwise, it very well may be a Wi-Fi thing. Highly likely too, seeing as how we're LONG overdue in that regard. I was thinking an extra PokeTch program.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom