• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is Cilan scared of Purrloin???

Supreme Leader Palpitoad

The Toad of Honor
Reaction score
Hi!
If there is a thread like this administrators can move or close this one. Now to the question. Why do you think that Cilan is scared of Purrloin? I think Purrloin cased him when he was young and that became some sort of thing he always remebered.

My personal headcannon is still that he once tried to stuff one down his trousers and received a royal mauling to the crotch area.

And, from the looks of things, I'll always be able to keep that headcannon (as I doubt that the writers will ever provide an official explanation at this stage). This pleases me greatly.

Maybe he's just more of a dog person? He seems to like Burgundy, after all. She's a dog person, I think.

Maybe he's just more of a dog person? He seems to like Burgundy, after all. She's a dog person, I think.

I thought you were going to say "she's a dog" :I

I don't think we'll ever find out but i'm sure the reason is something quite boring. A purlion attacked him as a child, did something mean to him which wasn't all it seemed. Like the time Jessie hated Jynx for stealing her doll at Christmas, then when it was explained, she liked Jynx etc. It's usually something cheesy like that.

Maybe he just hates Purlion because it hunts bird/rodent/fish Pokemon for fun. Cats are murderers, less we forget.

Maybe he just hates Purlion because it hunts bird/rodent/fish Pokemon for fun.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the reason. One day Dent fishes up an amazing catch and then a Choroneko comes and eats it up on the spot in seconds.

Maybe he just hates Purlion because it hunts bird/rodent/fish Pokemon for fun. Cats are murderers, less we forget.

I would point out that Cilan is only afraid of Purrloin, not cats in general. He was probably the nicest to Meowth during the whole Nyagotiator arc, after all.

I guess they wanted it to be plot-important at the first Purrloin filler, and since it has resonated among the fans, they kept it on.
During that episode, they could have make him stop fearing them if they really liked to. It's just COMIC RELIEF!

He was probably playing with one but it scratched him so hard he became so scared of them I think but I don't know for sure.

During that episode, they could have make him stop fearing them if they really liked to. It's just COMIC RELIEF!
Comic relief or not, Cilan is generalizing the entire species of Purrloin based on his one bad past experience. It would be true character development for Cilan to admit outloud that not all Purrloin are bad. Sadly, we'll never get that nor an explanation on what happened to him in the past (as silly it probably was).

Because Cilan's fear of Purrloin is most likely just a play on the black cat superstition.

Was playing one day, and then some Purrloin was playing and followed him all over the place and when Cilan told it to leave it Scratched him so hard he became afraid of it.

I thought about it just now and what do we know about Purrloin? Well they suck a lot. I tried using one against Cress total failure. But maybe that's it he scared of them because he saw a extremely well trained one so it scared him to think such a lousy species can do that much damage.

It may be that Cilan was attacked my many Purrloin, just like Ash and Pikachu were attacked by a flock of Spearow. But it's just a guess. No one will ever know exactly why he is afraid of Purrloin.

I guess at kindergarten, Cress found a purrloin then decided to show it to Cilan. But it scratched him and lashed out at him, he fell, it frightened him, he wet his pants and got laughed at by Chili and a few other kids then it attacked him again causing Cress to scold it.

Pity it wasn't game-canon. Can you imagine how easy his gym battle would have been?

"You are challenged by Leader Cilan."

"Cilan send out Pansage."

"Go, Purrloin!"

"Cilan fainted!"

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom