• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Re: The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart?

Was being SE against Dragon type the only thing revealed about Fairy's type matchup?

I wonder if Gallade will Become Fairy/Fighting or stay as it is.

Was being SE against Dragon type the only thing revealed about Fairy's type matchup?

Yep, that's it.

Nice to see it finally being confirmed and I agree with all the retypings, particularly Gardevoir's.

I hope Mawile and Whimsicott's type is changed to Steel/Fairy and Grass/Fairy, respectively.

Considering Gardevoir is confirmed to be Psychic/Fairy, I think it will stay Psychic/Fighting.

It'll stay Psychic/Fighting since Gardevoir is Psychic/Fairy. I like that it creates a better parallel between them now that they're both dual types.

I would expect both Petilil and Cottonee to get Fairy.

I hope it works like Ralts/Kirlia = Psychic, then they both gain their respective second type upon evolving.

How does everyone feel about the Fairy type?

Hey everybody, I was wondering how everyone feels about the new type, Fairy type. I think it's a cool addition that will enhance vanilla and competitive play. I'm also glad it's super effective against dragon because some dragon types are a bit OP. Anyways leave your thoughts below :)

Thanks, Shiny Froslass

Re: How does everyone feel about the Fairy type?

I think the Fairy type is a great addition. By no means do I think it's the best thing ever, but it isn't a bad move by GameFreak IMO. The only concern I have is that they'll retcon previous Pokémon as part-Fairy when they reeeally don't need to be. I have faith though :)

Since they seem to be applying the new type pretty liberally, I'm wondering how many fairy types we'll end up with of older pokemon. If the Marill line got it, I'm almost certain they'll give it to Plusle/Minun. Whether they give it to Pachirisu I still don't know, but they definitely won't to Pikachu. They could always just give Pikachu an Electric/Fairy split evolution. I'd say the line is too iconic to touch, but they gave Mewtwo a new forme so I could see the split evo not being outside the realm of possibillity.

My only concern with Fairy is that GameFreak will go on a spam-fest, just applying part-Fairy to all sorts of Pokémon that really don't need it...

I think they'll show restraint and not be so arbitrary with typings. They've never done that in the past.

My only concern with Fairy is that GameFreak will go on a spam-fest, just applying part-Fairy to all sorts of Pokémon that really don't need it...
That's quite honestly the feel I get from the fact that they gave it to pokemon in the fairy egg group that neither have any sort of mystical element to them nor being at least inspired by mythical creatures.

I hope that they don't make Fairy-types immune to Dragon-type moves.

They could always just give Pikachu an Electric/Fairy split evolution. I'd say the line is too iconic to touch, but they gave Mewtwo a new forme so I could see the split evo not being outside the realm of possibillity.
I'd like this. It would be much better than another Pikachu clone, and frankly, it seems unfair for Plusle, Minun and Pachirisu to be the ones to benefit from a new type just because they aren't as iconic as Pikachu is.

That's quite honestly the feel I get from the fact that they gave it to pokemon in the fairy egg group that neither have any sort of mystical element to them nor being at least inspired by mythical creatures.
Exactly. I hope that at least the new designs will actually feel mystical, but even Sylveon leaves something to be desired.

Last edited:

I think they'll show restraint and not be so arbitrary with typings. They've never done that in the past.

Marill will be retconned as Fairy...
I don't think of it seriously, I just can't think of it seriously. Normal types evolving into Water/Fairy ones?

Marill will be retconned as Fairy...
I don't think of it seriously, I just can't think of it seriously. Normal types evolving into Water/Fairy ones?

Water sprite? I dunno. Marril is the only one I'm kinda unsure of and even then I'll take it.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom