• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Don't understand the hatred for the Fairy... all you have to do is go to Wikipedia and find out that Fairy'd in folklore are mean bastards

People are always pissed off at the beginning when something changes and assuming they don't pull a rage-quit, they eventually look back and wonder what the hell they were so hung up about.

But anyway, for all of you drama llamas hating on Fairy because you don't see what the constraints and stuff are, chill out. Game Freak will probably show us more about what's up with Fairy and what qualifies as fairy as we go on.

For my part, Psychic has always meant 'mental' abilities, like psionics, while Fairy, seems more likely to be based on outright magic, nature and/or feelings, so I do see a distinction. It's similar to the difference between Telepathy and Empathy.

People just take a while to accept change. It's even more rampant on 4chan, with people "quitting forever, not buying XY, etc". Of course, they'll still get it, lol.
It's ironic because Laquer Head has an ice fairy in his avatar

Lord Cirno is god type

-Fairy Type revealed
Me: NonoNONONO! N! O! Don’t give the fans what they expect!!

Jigglypuff and Gardevoir are Fairies now
Me: Okay, Gardevoir too. But what about my Clefable? Is it NRM/FRY or all-Fairy too?

Gardevoir nearly kills Hydreigon
Me: Duuuude! ...I’m totally okay with this.

Time to approval: 21 seconds. I'm enjoying this already, but what else can the type do?
(And I mean, with the evidence shown at E3)

I do like the idea of another check for dragons (I don't think they're that crazy powerful, I just irrationally hate them) but give me something that makes sense D:

Also, it's not that I hate fairies, fairies are the shit, I just don't like it as a TYPE. They just fall perfectly into other types, making it redundant and just weird. It isn't strictly the only reason I've lost hope in X and Y, I'm just theorizing that it's another attempt to make it look like there has been a massive change, but will end up in uninspired and uninteresting additions. I HOPE I'm proved wrong, I hope it somehow makes sense, I hope the game is great regardless, but the new pokemon being released are iffy and idk. Though, so far, the new starters look cooler than they have in a few generations.

People are always pissed off at the beginning when something changes and assuming they don't pull a rage-quit, they eventually look back and wonder what the hell they were so hung up about.

But anyway, for all of you drama llamas hating on Fairy because you don't see what the constraints and stuff are, chill out. Game Freak will probably show us more about what's up with Fairy and what qualifies as fairy as we go on.

For my part, Psychic has always meant 'mental' abilities, like psionics, while Fairy, seems more likely to be based on outright magic, nature and/or feelings, so I do see a distinction. It's similar to the difference between Telepathy and Empathy.

What about clairvoyance and precognition?

This I can understand, but it seems like ghost has that covered, to an extent. Idk, wouldn't a magic type make more sense? It would be more inclusive that way as well. Fairy implies a sprite and such.

You're not explaining why. Your opinions aren't substantiated. Also, Mewtwo's new form isn't confirmed to be part Fairy type. I don't think that it will be.

Types are generally elements in someway. Fire, Water, Grass, etc. Except for dragon of course, but I was never a fan of dragons, but since it was one type, I just went with it. But now, there's another like dragon, that makes absolutely NO sense. What is a fairy doing that's unique to a normal/flying attack? How does it just magically hurt dragons and so on. Of all the ideas they could have went with...it's just ugh. Obviously there were exceptions, but they still made a LITTLE sense. Bug, Psychic and Ghost, you can understand those. Fairy? Not so much.

I was honestly hoping for a Light/Holy type, most RPGs have it. It would make even more sense in japan, dark being the evil type. MAYBE if fairy had some co-relationship with dark, it would be ok, almost as a less conspicuous good vs evil thing...but why dragon?

I would say all things considered Fairy would be a more realistic (powerful counterpart to dragon). Hopefully fairy(type) brings a change to the type chart the shows fairy has its own weaknesses and strengths other than now. Fairy(type) can also hopefully help bring back the element of rareness of dragon type since a super type like a counterpart for dragon(type) should be as rare.

Fairy magic damages dragon magic imo. Anyone wanna develop why fairies beat up dragons? A elementary Google search shows no obvious relations between the two type in myths. It does show "fairy dragons" what about that type combo. Good & evil not that major theme in pokemon, just bad guys vs good guys yes? Why dragon as a strength> hopefully eludes to a change in the type chart.

People sitting here commenting complaining and swearing saying they hate Pokémon forever because of the newly introduced type are completely ignorant imo. Obviously it's the males complaining the most because somehow you think playing Pokémon with a newly introduced fairy type, makes you feminine. Well, grow up, GF doesn't produce to meet everyones standards, I'm happy with the fairy type as it's balancing out the charts more and giving other Pokémon that never shined, another chance. Just because it's been introduced and is staying, doesn't mean you don't have to buy the game, it's not like they're rebranding every Pokémon a fairy type, get over yourself and stop looking for a reason to complain about every new aspect.

ON MY PART THOUGH, I'm satisfied! I saw it coming and I'm happy, and at least they let us know in an awesome way, along with some cool new moves! I'm excited!

I don't think anyone had an attack over pokemon...because it's pokemon

You're not explaining why. Your opinions aren't substantiated. Also, Mewtwo's new form isn't confirmed to be part Fairy type. I don't think that it will be.

Types are generally elements in someway. Fire, Water, Grass, etc. Except for dragon of course, but I was never a fan of dragons, but since it was one type, I just went with it.

You forgot Norma, Bug, Ghost, and Fighting. They ain't elements.

You got some weird hate goin' on there Lacquer Head.

Normal = no element
Bug = Think of the shit bugs can do, bite, sting, shoot webs and silk, spread powder and so on.
Ghost = This should be obvious, it's supernatural shit, spirits, curses, etc.
Fighting = Implies martial arts and so on.The whole supereffective against steel...now that I DO disagree with.

I said GENERALLY, not everyone, but you see what I mean. Fairies seem to fall under normal or psychic type...and look what types are getting the addition. Though it paves the way for a kick-ass leprechaun pokemon...I'm not seeing anything that makes sense. Though, if they make a fairy type that wears boots, I will thrust aside all my inhibitions and give GF all of my money.

Now your just going against yourself. Dragon was ok with you because it was the only nonelemental, but as you've confirmed those other types aren't elemental in nature as well and you're still cool with them.

Fairies will go along with Dragons from here on forth judging by their design aesthetic. These types lend themselves to a much more flavorful and mythological presence in the Pokemon world and the Pokemon of these types will usually be rich with design concept.

With that said, why you hatin' on Fairies?! As a Touhou fanboy you should be loving this!

People just take a while to accept change. It's even more rampant on 4chan, with people "quitting forever, not buying XY, etc". Of course, they'll still get it, lol.

Lord Cirno is god type

-Fairy Type revealed

Me: Okay, Gardevoir too. But what about my Clefable? Is it NRM/FRY or all-Fairy too?

Time to approval: 21 seconds. I'm enjoying this already, but what else can the type do?

I do like the idea of another check for dragons (I don't think they're that crazy powerful, I just irrationally hate them) but give me something that makes sense D:

Also, it's not that I hate fairies, fairies are the shit, I just don't like it as a TYPE. They just fall perfectly into other types, making it redundant and just weird. It isn't strictly the only reason I've lost hope in X and Y, I'm just theorizing that it's another attempt to make it look like there has been a massive change, but will end up in uninspired and uninteresting additions. I HOPE I'm proved wrong, I hope it somehow makes sense, I hope the game is great regardless, but the new pokemon being released are iffy and idk. Though, so far, the new starters look cooler than they have in a few generations.
Whilst I was against a new type I'm find with Fairy (would've preferred Fey but meh) nobody really expects massive changes we still got the same 8 badges quest... the biggest shzke-up will be the Fairy type... Pokemon's game play is solid they don't really need to change much. The plot is the big thing

My problems with Fairy type are entirely based on the speculated/rumored match ups.

As a concept I think it's great, and closest to what had been thrown by some people other times that I liked enough. Mystical, fantasy, whatever.

The problem comes with its speculated balance:
- SE to Dragon takes away the best thing Ice had for itself.
- SE to Ice after taking its main use makes things even worse for the Ice type. Specially if it is going to be such a key type that is SE to Dragon in the first place.
- Being weak to Fighting makes an strong type stronger. (Which in turn also screws up Ice.)
- Resisting Grass (as rumored) wouldn't be good either. But really, this is all about Ice.

I think everyone can agree that Ice of all things doesn't need yet another weakness and less of reasons to be used it.

Of course, this is all rumors. Maybe Ice is SE to Fairy and resists it or something... but as it is looking like, Ice is heading down to "objectively worst type" pretty fast.

All would be forgiven if we have a Dragon/Fairy or if Grass is Super-Effective to the type, though

Lord Cirno is god type

-Fairy Type revealed

Whilst I was against a new type I'm find with Fairy (would've preferred Fey but meh) nobody really expects massive changes we still got the same 8 badges quest... the biggest shzke-up will be the Fairy type... Pokemon's game play is solid they don't really need to change much. The plot is the big thing

I was hoping for some crazy change up, myself. It's risky, but could turn out epic. Not really with the battle mechanic, but SOMETHING...idk, I wouldn't hate on it for sticking to a similar formula, but I don't wanna see half-assed "radical" improvements

People sitting here commenting complaining and swearing saying they hate Pokémon forever because of the newly introduced type are completely ignorant imo. Obviously it's the males complaining the most because somehow you think playing Pokémon with a newly introduced fairy type, makes you feminine. Well, grow up, GF doesn't produce to meet everyones standards, I'm happy with the fairy type as it's balancing out the charts more and giving other Pokémon that never shined, another chance. Just because it's been introduced and is staying, doesn't mean you don't have to buy the game, it's not like they're rebranding every Pokémon a fairy type, get over yourself and stop looking for a reason to complain about every new aspect.

ON MY PART THOUGH, I'm satisfied! I saw it coming and I'm happy, and at least they let us know in an awesome way, along with some cool new moves! I'm excited!

I don't think anyone had an attack over pokemon...because it's pokemon

Types are generally elements in someway. Fire, Water, Grass, etc. Except for dragon of course, but I was never a fan of dragons, but since it was one type, I just went with it.

You forgot Norma, Bug, Ghost, and Fighting. They ain't elements.

You got some weird hate goin' on there Lacquer Head.

Normal = no element
Bug = Think of the shit bugs can do, bite, sting, shoot webs and silk, spread powder and so on.
Ghost = This should be obvious, it's supernatural shit, spirits, curses, etc.
Fighting = Implies martial arts and so on.The whole supereffective against steel...now that I DO disagree with.

I said GENERALLY, not everyone, but you see what I mean. Fairies seem to fall under normal or psychic type...and look what types are getting the addition. Though it paves the way for a kick-ass leprechaun pokemon...I'm not seeing anything that makes sense. Though, if they make a fairy type that wears boots, I will thrust aside all my inhibitions and give GF all of my money.

Now your just going against yourself. Dragon was ok with you because it was the only nonelemental, but as you've confirmed those other types aren't elemental in nature as well and you're still cool with them.

Fairies will go along with Dragons from here on forth judging by their design aesthetic. These types lend themselves to a much more flavorful and mythological presence in the Pokemon world and the Pokemon of these types will usually be rich with design concept.

With that said, why you hatin' on Fairies?! As a Touhou fanboy you should be loving this!

nonono, you've got me all wrong. I WASN'T ok with dragon, but since it was one rare type, I just accepted it, but fairy is the same thing, but with more common pokemon. Compare Marill and Jigglypuff to dratini or gible. I don't hate fairies, I just hate the fucked up typing of pokemon.

To stifle the conflict here, might I say that Fairy is hands-down the broadest type? Somebody please tell me what Fairy-types have in common after seeing Gardevoir and Marill...No wonder Sylveon's English name is so tied down to a specific concept (forest deities) as opposed to reflecting the entirety of its type like the other Eeveelutions. Sylveon disappointingly isn't much of a "poster child" of its type (other than the color scheme). Why, you ask? Because the type itself is broad, so they couldn't shove all the concepts into one design/have it embody the primary concept (because there is none in this case), and thus, the Eeveelution naming trend and design trend were broken. No, not all fairies are sylvan. Honestly, the first time I saw it, I immediately thought of a gift box, not a fairy.

My problems with Fairy type are entirely based on the speculated/rumored match ups.

As a concept I think it's great, and closest to what had been thrown by some people other times that I liked enough. Mystical, fantasy, whatever.

- SE to Ice after taking its main use makes things even worse for the Ice type. Specially if it is going to be such a key type that is SE to Dragon in the first place.
- Being weak to Fighting makes an strong type stronger. (Which in turn also screws up Ice.)
- Resisting Grass (as rumored) wouldn't be good either. But really, this is all about Ice.

I think everyone can agree that Ice of all things doesn't need yet another weakness and less of reasons to be used it.

Of course, this is all rumors. Maybe Ice is SE to Fairy and resists it or something... but as it is looking like, Ice is heading down to "objectively worst type" pretty fast.

All would be forgiven if we have a Dragon/Fairy or if Grass is Super-Effective to the type, though

Going by folklore the Fey are weak against cold-Iron and extreme cold so logically Fey should be weak against Ice and Steel. I'd be nice to get ice another resistance maybe they'll change things up?

Going by folklore the Fey are weak against cold-Iron and extreme cold so logically Fey should be weak against Ice and Steel. I'd be nice to get ice another resistance maybe they'll change things up?

...gimme an Ice/Steel type

Something to consider: Wigglytuff and Azumarill suck in-metagame and out. I feel that some Pokémon like them need the buff to keep up with the new ones, or otherwise become obsolete through Power Creep

Gardevoir's a little better, but could still afford to stand out more

Something to consider: Wigglytuff and Azumarill suck in-metagame and out. I feel that some Pokémon like them need the buff to keep up with the new ones, or otherwise become obsolete through Power Creep

Gardevoir's a little better, but could still afford to stand out more

Doesn't CleFAIRY need the boost? What about Munna, Musharna, Meowth, Persian, or lots of other unused Pokes??

On magic the way I see it pokemon non elemental magic is diluted into the following types attacks: Dragon (basically fire related destructive magic), Fairy (mystical forest like magic), Dark (evil, hidden like magic), Physic(I see mainly magic that can relate to telekinesis), even normal (hyperbeam normal energy).

Possible power creep but hopefully the new type will effectively bring in more balance and fairness into the gen 6 as a whole. Thus power creep is diluted by change of the type chart.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom