• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon-amie: new bonding feature

"Its body is made of a powerful poison. Touching it accidentally will cause a fever that requires bed rest". Muk's pokedex entry. petting it is not something i would like to do

There're a lotta Pokedex entries that don't make actual sense. Magcargo, for example, can apparently reach something like twice the temperature of the surface of the sun. This might be one of those dex entries that's just ignorable nonsense.

I wonder if NPC pokemon, such as Gym Leader teams, will be programmed to have been Pokemon-Amie'd. Will this make it absolutely impossible to land hits on a double-team spammer? Will we have to be extra-wary of critical hits? That doesn't sound so fun to me. Otherwise, though, I think Pokemon-Amie as a whole sounds absolutely amazing, and I can't wait to play with it.

grrrm I really don't want to be forced to pet a digital creature for it to attack better, that kind of annoys me a little. I don't mind it being in the game though, I just hope it does not effect to much.
I don't get this objection. How is this any less fun than the tedium of EV training?

grrrm I really don't want to be forced to pet a digital creature for it to attack better, that kind of annoys me a little. I don't mind it being in the game though, I just hope it does not effect to much.
I don't get this objection. How is this any less fun than the tedium of EV training?

Battling is strong and manly and petting and feeding is not. *grrr*

The only real concern is that there is some kind of decay so that you have to pet them every day. Some people play on and off so if they don't play for a month it would feel tedious to get their bond back up again.

I'd be fine with a decay if it were reasonable and judged by time played rather than real-life time.

Speaking of Tamagotchis, I really hope the feeding of the pokemon is a treat thing and not a required thing.

That's why I tend to avoid simulated pet games. I don't want to have something that's too much of a liability.

I'm pretty excited for Pokémon Amie. Finally I can pet my Musharna after a hard day's work. Or I can treat my <insert Eeveelution here>. :3

...or I can pet my Nidoqueen. :XD:

I'm not saying its tedious, I'm saying I don't want to rub digital fur dude.

I'm not saying its tedious, I'm saying I don't want to rub digital fur dude.

Let's just say that this is a "stupid" feature, nobody if forcing you to use this feature. Just play XY like previous generations and completely ignore this function. The game can still be beat by overlevelling and EV training if that's how you want to play.

It's supposed to be a benefit for those who do like this feature. It's (probably) not like they're lowering our stats to 80% and using this to bring it back to 100%. It's like we're starting at 100% and going to 120%.

You can even say that this is an "easy mode" function and say that you're more hardcore for beating the game without having to resort to these game-breaking boosts.

These bonuses will probably not carry over to online battles and if they do then it'll probably be banned in most circles.

We're supposed to be better than the evil organization because we care about our Pokemon and don't treat them like tools.

If there are cosmetic changes (and slight advantages) for Pokemon with high amie, it makes some sense that there might also be cosmetic changes for Pokemon with very low amie.

If there are cosmetic changes (and slight advantages) for Pokemon with high amie, it makes some sense that there might also be cosmetic changes for Pokemon with very low amie.
Your mon's attacks are less powerful than average and they refuse to interact with you if you attempt to play with them through the feature, perhaps?

Your mon's attacks are less powerful than average and they refuse to interact with you if you attempt to play with them through the feature, perhaps?
So, they refuse to play with you through the Amie feature until you play with them more with the Amie feature? There's a problem here.

No, not like that. Subtle things like:
- Critical hit rate (-1 if very low; +1 if very high)
- Chance of taking confusion damage (60% if low; 50% normal; 40% if high)
- Chance of losing a turn to Paralysis (33% if low; 25% normal; 20% if high)
- Chance of recovering from a Freeze (25% if high; 20% otherwise)
- Average duration of Sleep (+1 turn if very low; not exceeding current limits, more like a RNG bias)
- Pokemon's battle animations make it seem distanced or annoyed by the Trainer's orders (though, unlike a traded Pokemon, it does still execute them as ordered)

For example, when you're going up against the villainous team you see Pokemon that are following orders but you can clearly tell the Pokemon don't necessarily like their Trainers. On the other hand, go up against a Gym Leader, E4 or Champ and you can just tell the Pokemon enjoy the battle.

And, yes, a Pokemon with low amie might not respond much to attempts by the Trainer to interact with it. It will still respond in general, but the animations make clear it's not terribly friendly.

I don't see how this feature could be regarded as a feminine feature. What's the difference between petting a Pokemon and a real life animal?? Who's going to tell me that men don't pet their pets?? I don't view this feature as something for either gender over the other.
^ This. Guys pet their companion animals, too. Feed them and take care of them as well. To be perfectly blunt, the reason why we have a cat is because Sammy bonded with my husband first.

That said, I can't wait to see how he'll bond with his Gardevoir. That'll be adorable. XD

Petting and feeding can help in the training process. My cat can sit on command and will get in his crate on command because I gave Sammy treats and praised him when he performed the correct actions. The Pokemon-amie feature may just work in the same way--positive reinforcement for a job well done.

And manly or not, a lot of people are stunned when I say that I own a trained cat.

Petting and feeding can help in the training process. My cat can sit on command and will get in his crate on command because I gave Sammy treats and praised him when he performed the correct actions. The Pokemon-amie feature may just work in the same way--positive reinforcement for a job well done.

And manly or not, a lot of people are stunned when I say that I own a trained cat.

Hehe, I know and it was sarcasm. I was just trying to point out the irrational dislike people have for new features that aren't related to battling.

I know that battling is a main part of the game (some say only part) but there needs to be more distractions so the game doesn't seem as linear. Even if it's just a slight detour, backtracking to towns or exploring side areas for your Pokemon's favorite food/toy can give you more gameplay.

So I don't know if this has been discussed elsewere, but from the official site:
As your Pokémon becomes more friendly, it may perform better in battle—by avoiding opponents’ attacks, landing critical hits, and more!
This new bonding feature increases critical hit rate and evasion. And other things.

Magma Storm incoming.
I can see some metagames that minimize chance banning this, while official Tournauments and other "do the best possible" metagames encouraging it. That'll be interesting to see.

Personally, I like how it could give a highlight to increased critical and fully accurate moves. I mean, deppending on how high the critical boost is, Farfetch'd could actually spam critical attacks.

Probably said enhanced abilities will be turned off during link battles. After all, evasion, accuracy and critical hit ratio are not fullfledged stats.

Now I wonder about something - what if they're made into exactly that?

So I don't know if this has been discussed elsewere, but from the official site:
As your Pokémon becomes more friendly, it may perform better in battle—by avoiding opponents’ attacks, landing critical hits, and more!
This new bonding feature increases critical hit rate and evasion. And other things.

Magma Storm incoming.
I can see some metagames that minimize chance banning this, while official Tournauments and other "do the best possible" metagames encouraging it. That'll be interesting to see.

Personally, I like how it could give a highlight to increased critical and fully accurate moves. I mean, deppending on how high the critical boost is, Farfetch'd could actually spam critical attacks.

Probably said enhanced abilities will be turned off during link battles. After all, evasion, accuracy and critical hit ratio are not fullfledged stats.

I'd love if that did happen, but if those became full-fledged stats, how would natures, EVs, vitamins, etc. affect them? Surely they can't always be neutral by nature, need Pokemon to give those EVs, and have their own vitamins. Even if it did happen, I'm pretty sure critical hit ratio wouldn't be a stat. Isn't it pretty much the same for every Pokemon? Now, something like IQ would be interesting to see.

Magma Storm incoming.

I'd love if that did happen, but if those became full-fledged stats, how would natures, EVs, vitamins, etc. affect them? Surely they can't always be neutral by nature, need Pokemon to give those EVs, and have their own vitamins. Even if it did happen, I'm pretty sure critical hit ratio wouldn't be a stat. Isn't it pretty much the same for every Pokemon? Now, something like IQ would be interesting to see.

Having three extra stats to deal with is quite the undertaking for everyone involved. On one hand, you want it to have tangible effects, and on the other hand, there are limits for the sake of a playable game, especially in heavily-skewed situations in favour of either side.

I think they'll be playing it safe for now and make it a relative modifier to the "base" evasion, accuracy, and CHR. (To be honest, I prefer the way accuracy and evasion are handed in PMD games. Accuracy is lower across the board, and yet they still work for the most part.)

Here's the problem with accuracy and critical hit ratio becoming full-fledged stats: Most damaging moves have the exact same critical hit ratio as each other moves (and there are some that have a higher ratio as listed in the move description), so that is based entirely on the move, and accuracy is tagged directly to each move (along with that move's base power). Accuracy varies between moves, from low to high to 100 to perfect (perfect accuracy meaning that it never misses, like Swift or Aura Sphere), and, in the case of OHKO moves, based on the participants levels (which could make a hacked Ditto, for example, extremely dangerous by giving it the ability No Guard and four OHKO moves and maxed out stats to ensure that it attacks first). As for evasion, I honestly don't know how that works exactly, but I think it's like a second form of accuracy reduction/supplement by affecting the Pokémon without the hard accuracy change.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom