• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW130: Satoshi and Butterfree! Until the Day We Meet Again!!

It wasn't really needed.
Lots of things in the episode weren't needed. Longer references to the original Butterfree would have been appreciated by both veteran viewers and the kids who didn't necessarily understand why Ash and the original Butterfree weren't together anymore.

It wasn't really needed.
Lots of things in the episode weren't needed. Longer references to the original Butterfree would have been appreciated by both veteran viewers and the kids who didn't necessarily understand why Ash and the original Butterfree weren't together anymore.

There were only some, but they still made the episode more enjoyable anyway. The whole episode was a big reference, and I really doubt kids didn't understand.

This was the best damn tribute to Ash's Butterfree! That goodbye scene *_*

The animation annoyed me gravely, though. Hope the AD isn't someone who'll be recurring.

So why didn't Satoshi send out his Lizardon to help him chase the Rocket trio?

Y'know, if this was boring Best Wishes! Rocket trio, they would have been applauded for being so villainous and actually trying to kill the protagonist by jumping on Satoshi's head until he fell off their hot air balloon. But here? No one seems to care. I find that very interesting.

Finally, it must be nice for Satoshi and his friends to have the luxury of just dropping whatever the hell it is they're doing for a week to help some random pokemon.

So why didn't Satoshi send out his Lizardon to help him chase the Rocket trio?

Y'know, if this was boring Best Wishes! Rocket trio, they would have been applauded for being so villainous and actually trying to kill the protagonist by jumping on Satoshi's head until he fell off their hot air balloon. But here? No one seems to care. I find that very interesting.

Finally, it must be nice for Satoshi and his friends to have the luxury of just dropping whatever the hell it is they're doing for a week to help some random pokemon.

Well, there is no indication that Satoshi-tachi brought their Pokémon with them the day the went to train with Trancell, I think they didn't bother since they were hosting in the near Pokémon Center during that time and they were training with methods other than battling. Satoshi has usually dropped whatever he is planning to do to help random Pokémon and people, so I don't see anything new here aside that they pretty much have a lot of free time and it's not that they were planning on something else (unless it was implied in the dialogues that I didn't understand).

That was ages ago in Kanto, and I'm not sure if that's from an English dub added line or the Japanese dub.
The line was present in both versions. They also mention "experience points" a couple of more times later in Kanto.

Then again, it may have been a stupid way to refer to Pokemon gaining experience through battle rather than directly referring to numbered levels like EP009.

I thought the episode was good. Yet, it didn't leave the same impact on me as when Satoshi/Ash parted with his own Butterfree. Still, I have a really big soft spot for these kinds of episodes. People always say Charizard was the best and stuff, but Butterfree was the Pokémon I felt Ash was really attached to as it was the first one he caught and raised. Therefore, I felt their parting was more touching and memorable myself.

What am I saying? Anyway, I liked the episode when I saw it. It was cool to see Caterpie again and all of its stages of evolution. I was really sad when Satoshi/Ash said that he would meet his own Butterfree again one day. :')

8/10

I was really sad when Satoshi/Ash said that he would meet his own Butterfree again one day. :')
Did he said that he was going to meet his own Butterfree someday? I assumed he was making the same promise to this episode's Butterfree instead, but I don't know.

I was really sad when Satoshi/Ash said that he would meet his own Butterfree again one day. :')
Did he said that he was going to meet his own Butterfree someday? I assumed he was making the same promise to this episode's Butterfree instead, but I don't know.

Tbh, I'm not sure myself. I don't recall which, but I'm assuming you're right and it was the latter. I guess I got caught up in seeing a reference to Ash's Butterfree again too much to notice. XD.

Gabo 2oo[/QUOTE said:
Well, there is no indication that Satoshi-tachi brought their Pokémon with them the day the went to train with Trancell, I think they didn't bother since they were hosting in the near Pokémon Center during that time and they were training with methods other than battling.

They usually make it a point to say when our heroes don't have their Monster Balls on them. There wasn't any shot of the Monster Balls sitting in a bedroom or of Satoshi checking his empty pockets in this episode.

I was sad because I thought ash's Butterfree was going to be in it for just the episode, but it wasn't.....

Guess I pretty much agree most of people here, this episode was really good.
AND DAMN SATOSHI DON'T CRY I'M STARTING TO CRY TOO Seriously, I nearly teared up when Satoshi was there and crying after Butterfree..and FYI, the original Bye bye Butterfree didn't make me cry.
The animation wasn't nearly that bad as expected, actually I would like to see this guy animating more episode in the future...
1gg.png
But we all have to agree that that's just plain ugly XD

I think the interpretation is left to the viewer. I don't think Ash would cry for a Butterfree that he already knew he was parting. In the original Bye Bye Butterfree both Pikachu and Ash cry, even Misty and Brock were more than moved...but here only Ash did, Pikachu was simply giving bye bye (when he cried a lot when the original Butterfree left) and Iris was surprised when Ash cried because the reaction was stronger than what one could give for a Caterpie he just bonded with. Why did he cry? Because the events triggered his memory on how he parted with his original Butterfree in a similar way.

But this is just my interpretation. One can easily disagree with me. However I am pretty convinced on this matter, so I won't bother listening to your point lol.

I think the interpretation is left to the viewer. I don't think Ash would cry for a Butterfree that he already knew he was parting. In the original Bye Bye Butterfree both Pikachu and Ash cry, even Misty and Brock were more than moved...but here only Ash did, Pikachu was simply giving bye bye (when he cried a lot when the original Butterfree left) and Iris was surprised when Ash cried because the reaction was stronger than what one could give for a Caterpie he just bonded with. Why did he cry? Because the events triggered his memory on how he parted with his original Butterfree in a similar way.

But this is just my interpretation. One can easily disagree with me. However I am pretty convinced on this matter, so I won't bother listening to your point lol.

The interpretations the viewers can make is the reason why Ash was crying so much, and I'm also convinced that it's because he is attached to the species and the events reminded him of his very first Pokémon ever, since Ash doesn't cry when he leaves every other wild Pokémon he has bonded with, like Cottonee. But it's still possible that Ash, in tears, promised this Butterfree to see it again, all while he was thinking in its own one as well.

The interpretations the viewers can make is the reason why Ash was crying so much, and I'm also convinced that it's because he is attached to the species and the events reminded him of his very first Pokémon ever, since Ash doesn't cry when he leaves every other wild Pokémon he has bonded with, like Cottonee. But it's still possible that Ash, in tears, promised this Butterfree to see it again, all while he was thinking in its own one as well.

Well yes, the promise was this Butterfree, but at the same it is also for the distant Butterfree. It's pretty rare to see a few depths in Pokemon isn't it?

Well yes, the promise was this Butterfree, but at the same it is also for the distant Butterfree. It's pretty rare to see a few depths in Pokemon isn't it?

Yeah: it's moments like this that I really like the most in the series.

The last scene was nice. It felt like suddenly Satoshi was back to the time he was seeing -his- Butterfree's departure again.

But overall I can't help but complain about one thing... There was so much "quality" in this episode I was often distracted by them. It's unbelievable they're even allowed to air such a thing.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom