• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen VI Pokemon Discussion

Which are your favourite Pokemon revealed so far?

• Total voters
Re: Revealed Gen VI Pokemon Discussion/Speculation Thread

Maybe it's just me, but I absolutely hate Litleo's design. It's huge eyes are the worst, not to mention it's color scheme on the entire body. And the ironic thing is that I've been really wanting an actual Lion Pokémon (I don't count Luxray since that's a Mountain Lion). So I really hope the evolution looks a lot better.

Why is it that someone sees lion they jump to the assumption of manticore?
Has anyone considered, that the thing on the end of his tail is just a flame design?

I don't like Litleo's design either, it looks awful, but I am holding my hatred for it because it might evolve into a bad ass manticore-based Pokémon.

Punk rock stars have more of a mane than Luxray. But I guess a lynx would suit it better.
No, Luxrays are most definitely not lynx. Lynx have really short tails.

(I don't count Luxray since that's a Mountain Lion).
What is this I don't even *headdesk*

Luxray:
405Luxray_Dream.png

Mountain lion (aka cougar, panther, puma):
Mountain_lion.jpg

Lion:
320px-Rostock_Zoo_Lion_2007.jpg

Any questions?

Now as for me, I'm a bit curious why they would make a second lion Pokemon for the series (and still no tigers?), but I ain't complaining either. That derpy look on his face needs to go, but in-game he looks fine.

Has anyone considered, that the thing on the end of his tail is just a flame design?
...because it isn't colored orange like the tuft on his head? And if it only evolves into a lion, then it's basically just a Fire-type clone of the Luxray family.

Still prefer Shinx to Litleo though. :)

Last edited:

So at first, I thought Noivern was just a boring Dragon/Flying....but I just noticed it is a Flying/Dragon....meaning that it is primarily a Flying type. It's also known as the Soundwave Pokemon. Perhaps Game Freak is now associating sound with Flying type as well? We already have wind, clouds, fog, and the ability to fly associated with it. Given how sound wouldn't be able to exist without a medium like air....maybe this is why Game Freak made Noivern primary Flying.
I don't think that it means they are connecting sound with flying. I think they're connecting sound with echolocation, which is what bats use to gauge their surroundings instead of sight. Noivern is based equally off of a Wyvern and a bat, hence the strong connection with sound/echolocation. Echolocation itself certainly isn't limited to bats, its found in several species of whale and dolphin, again used to sense things out of visual range/in areas of very low light. Additionally, sound actually travels much better in water than it does through air, so by that logic, sound should be included as a 'subtype' of water. Coincidentally, the world's three loudest known animals all live 100% of the time in the water, the Sperm Whale, Pistol Shrimp, and the Blue Whale.

Sound ≠ Flying
I was waiting for someone to make the comment that sound travels better through water than air, but I really didn't want to bother going "Game Freak doesn't really know its science". I mean, really, how exactly is Noivern supposed to echolocate when its ears are constantly emitting sounds? Wouldn't that jumble the incoming signals?

I know Noivern is a bat. I know what echolocation is, and I know bats aren't the only thing that can use echolocation. Even humans can be trained to use echolocation. My post was merely trying to make sense of Noivern's primary flying type. It wouldn't be the first time anyone has speculated a relationship between an "air" element and sound given that airbending has been used to amplify sound waves in Avatar.

I also don't get the assertion that Game Freak is actively "connecting sound with echolocation" as if a connection needs to be made.

Echolocation itself certainly isn't limited to bats, its found in several species of whale and dolphin, again used to sense things out of visual range/in areas of very low light. Additionally, sound actually travels much better in water than it does through air, so by that logic, sound should be included as a 'subtype' of water.
When there are water Pokemon that actively manipulate sound waves in the water, why not? It seems as if you're trying to discredit my assertion by saying that because sound can easily be included as a subtype of water, that it should not be included as a subtype of air.

But what about sunlight? The sun has played a prominent role in Pokemon, but what type is it associated with? Solar Beam would suggest Grass type. At the same time, Sunny Day is a Fire type move that increases one's Fire type moves, something that directly opposes Grass. But then, intense sunlight also benefits Solar Beam users, and there are many abilities associated with grass types (e.g., Chlorophyll) that benefit from sunlight.

Both Psychic and Fighting types have been associated with spirituality. Indeed, the move Meditate has more Fighting type users than it does Psychic, despite being a Psychic type move.

In short, just because something can be associated with one type, does not mean it is exclusively associated with that type. I'm willing to bet Noivern's signature move is going to be Flying and not Dragon as well.

My post was simply saying that sound is not explicitly linked to flying. I didn't state that GF are actively linking echolocation to sound (like you pointed out, it's hardly a stretch to do), I said that Noivern's partial concept of a bat (the main concept for it is a Wyvern, with the echolocation/fur around the neck etc embellishments from a bat) is the reason for its connection to sound/echolocation, not its primary Flying type. The current move expected to be the signature move of Noivern is Boomburst, which is a normal-type move, as with most current noise-based moves. If you were waiting for someone to bring up the 'sound through water' argument, then why not acknowledge it in your original post?

Nothing in Pokemon makes scientific sense. Animals can't store a flame sac in their body, nor fire a beam of ice from an orifice of their choosing. The fact that Noivern's ears emit and receive sound is relatively moot when you consider that it can be captured and contained in a (presumably plastic) ball measuring approximately 3" in diameter, and then stored digitally only to be summoned into battle at the whim of its owner.

I also didn't say that sound is only related to water, that would be stupid. I was merely using it as an example that sound does not only apply to air, much the same as your point about light/sun applying to multiple different types and moves.

Back to why Noivern is the only dual-typed 'mon with Flying as its primary type - really, who knows. Maybe GF have decided that Flying needs a bit more love. Maybe they've decided that it's more than just an ability to keep oneself airborne. Maybe they liked having a pure flying type last gen so much that they're going to showcase the type more often. Whatever it is, I doubt that it's because it's able to make noise with its ears.

Last edited:

That derpy look on his face needs to go, but in-game he looks fine.

That derpy look is what makes Litleo, I say. Gives it some form of personality. Just look at the little guy tongue out and everything. I bet he tripped over himself:
new_derpy_pokemon_by_fancypancakes-d68vdlv.png

It's off color for a flame and it has only one wisp which is doesn't really waver. Not really a wisp at all. It's shaped much more like a scorpion stinger. With that said a manticore evolution would be just too awesome to pass up: HOLY CRAP! I just realized that Litleo has a...

EDIT: Looks like that Skrelp in the Skrelp vs Clauncher battle they showed off may be shiny.
qlTg21K.jpg
Masuda you sly devil.

Last edited:

Luxray hasn't ever looked like a true lion to me. It looks like a normal cat that had a bad hair day. But if Litleo does evolve into something that's more lion-y (or a manticore better yet), hopefully it'll get less hate. I don't see why it's so hated in the first place, other than "it's too derpy"

For the record, Noivern is not a bat. It's a Wyvern. (Noiver = Noise + Wyvern). It's Dragon typing makes that pretty obvious.

Also, Luxray is not a lynx, nor is it a mountain lion, it's a hodgepodge big cat creature with no particular species being its inspiration. (Shinx = Shine + Lynx, Luxio = Lux + Leo, Luxray= Lux + X-Ray / Rentorar = rentogan, x-ray + tora, or tiger).

I don't understand people saying that Luxray isn't a "true" lion or doesn't look like one.

In regards of Litleo evolving into a manticore, @Helioptile96; It is just wishful thinking. I like big felines and Luxray is one of my favorite Pokémon. I also appreciate the legendary beasts, specially Raikou who is the most cat-like of the trio, so I really want to like Litleo, but... if it evolves into a regular boring lion, I probably won't like it that much. Also, its tail looks like a scorpion's tail, not like a flame, at least to me. Hopefully it will evolve into a manticore-based beast indeed, perhaps Fire/Poison?

Does anyone else find it very strange that not a single Pokemon's ability was revealed yet? I know for a fact CoroCoro is not gonna cover these Pokemon again with the exception of Xerneas, Yveltal, and Mewtwo, so we pretty much won't know their abilities until release. I guess that's a minor thing to look forward to?

Does anyone else find it very strange that not a single Pokemon's ability was revealed yet? I know for a fact CoroCoro is not gonna cover these Pokemon again with the exception of Xerneas, Yveltal, and Mewtwo, so we pretty much won't know their abilities until release. I guess that's a minor thing to look forward to?

I assume we'll be getting some new abilities for this generation. That's probably why none have been revealed yet. Not saying all of them will get a new one, though. I suspect Sylveon, maybe Yveltal and Xerneas, possibly the new Mewtwo forme, and maybe Flabebe.

I don't understand people saying that Luxray isn't a "true" lion or doesn't look like one.
I don't get that either. The whole family has tufted tails; Luxrays definitely have a thick mane (slightly thinner on females).

Team Gaara said:
I assume we'll be getting some new abilities for this generation. That's probably why none have been revealed yet. Not saying all of them will get a new one, though. I suspect Sylveon, maybe Yveltal and Xerneas, possibly the new Mewtwo forme, and maybe Flabebe.
Well, they had no problem revealing new abilities last generation.

Luxray's mane leaves something to be desired. It's pretty meh.

I would definitely agree that if Litleo did evolve into a maticore it'd become Fire/Poison, probably losing the Normal typing as it's barb gets bigger (and thus gets more poison). Or maybe Dark, given its color scheme, but I don't want Houndor 2.0.

Xerneas, Yveltal and Mewtwo form will most likely have new abilities(or Pressure). Sylveon and/or Flabebe will have new abilities too as they have to have some abilities for Fairy types too. Helioptile will maybe have some new ability too.

Xerneas, Yveltal and Mewtwo form will most likely have new abilities(or Pressure). Sylveon and/or Flabebe will have new abilities too as they have to have some abilities for Fairy types too. Helioptile will maybe have some new ability too.

I agree, though I think Helioptile may get Solar Power.

I did not know that an ability like that exsisted. What does it do?

I did not know that an ability like that exsisted. What does it do?

When the sun is out in battle the Pokémon with Solar Power has its Special Attack boosted but it also loses its HP each turn.

For the record, Noivern is not a bat. It's a Wyvern. (Noiver = Noise + Wyvern). It's Dragon typing makes that pretty obvious.
I think it's pretty obviously based on both a bat and a wyvern. Why else would a wyvern have echolocation?

I think it's pretty obviously based on both a bat and a wyvern. Why else would a wyvern have echolocation?

It's just like how Garchomp is a shark dragon and Flygon is an antlion dragon.

Shinx = Shine + Lynx
Huh, interesting, I never considered the lynx connection. My interpretation was always that it was a pun on "sphinx".

I think it's fair to assume that Noivern's based on both a bat and a wyvern, not just the latter. Most wyverns don't look so bat-like, especially with the ears and stuff.

I'm still annoyed that Boomburst is Normal. Really GF, wtf? Give a Pokemon a signature move that doesn't match EITHER of its types? -_-

I'm willing to bet that Litleo does eventually evolve into a manticore. Whether it'll be an awesome one or a lame one remains to be seen. And I hope it's Fire/Poison, that'd be nice. Sure, x4 weak to Ground, but if it's winged like your typical manticore, then giving it Levitate would negate that :D.

As far as not revealing any Abilities yet, I'm fine with that. We've been given so much info within the past month that, honestly, if we didn't get anything else I wouldn't mind. After all, I don't want the entire game spoiled for me because people are too impatient to wait for the game itself. Personally I hope they don't reveal the evo'ed forms of the Starters; I wanna be surprised by whatever Fennekin evolves into.

Back
Top Bottom