• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon-amie: new bonding feature

I list this feature as one I wanted most but never knew I wanted so badly. I've treated my Pokemon on par with real pets since Pokemon red. I remember when I first beat Blue and the E4 how proud I was not just for myself but also my team. So to see a feature that makes them more life like, and my bond more personal. Ill happily take it.

And on the topic of men petting their pets. I kiss my dog on the forehead all the time. It's cool cause that's what bro's do. Forehead kisses! *sand crabs away*

As for evasion, I honestly don't know how that works exactly, but I think it's like a second form of accuracy reduction/supplement by affecting the Pokémon without the hard accuracy change.
Evasion is basically just a negative Accuracy multipler. One Double Team has the same effect (in one-on-one battles) as one Sand Attack; one X Accuracy will counter one Double Team.

I wonder if you can talk to your pokemon in pokemon-amie using the microphone feature....

As for evasion, I honestly don't know how that works exactly, but I think it's like a second form of accuracy reduction/supplement by affecting the Pokémon without the hard accuracy change.
Evasion is basically just a negative Accuracy multipler. One Double Team has the same effect (in one-on-one battles) as one Sand Attack; one X Accuracy will counter one Double Team.

Besides a negative multiplier, I'd say a passive one as the big difference. Accuracy relies on the attacker, while evason relies on the target.

I don't mind evasion or crit rate changes but I just hope evasion doesn't rise too much. The game already has lots of luck based features.

Besides a negative multiplier, I'd say a passive one as the big difference. Accuracy relies on the attacker, while evason relies on the target.
Yeah, that too. Which is what makes evasion boosts so annoying in practice -- switching your Pokemon just doesn't do you any good.

I don't mind evasion or crit rate changes but I just hope evasion doesn't rise too much. The game already has lots of luck based features.

And the fast pace of battle (as measured from turn 1 to KO) doesn't help it any. When most competitive attacks can take out an opponent in 2-3 hits, a sudden critical makes a huge difference.

On the other hand, if battles were longer (e.g. all Pokemon being able to endure more hits) then this diminishes ("averages out", if you will) the role of luck, but it also diminishes the importance of Speed.

I've always kind of wished that things like evasion and critical were a little more controllable. This is a bit of a tangent, but in a game I used to play quite often (Ragnarok Online) Critical and Dodge were both mostly controlled by the same stat (Luck). The higher your luck, the higher your crit-rate and dodge-rate, and the more likely your character was to dodge an attack that would otherwise hit, or land a critical hit that did superior damage by bypassing defense (if I recall). Evasion measured how possible it was for something to hit you at all, and was something else entirely from Dodge. It had mostly to do with your evasion (based mostly on Speed) vs. the attacker's Accuracy (based mostly on a stat call Dexterity).

ANYWAYS, my point is that I have always wished the pokemon concepts of critical and dodge were more controllable and individual, rather than even across the board, with the exception of a few attacks, and I'm glad that Game Freak seems to be moving somewhat in that direction, by taking advantage of Pokemon-Amie.

I wonder if you can talk to your pokemon in pokemon-amie using the microphone feature....
That would be awesome. I'd love to be able to "chat" with my Golurk and tell him I adore him...

Seriously, this feature has me so excited it ain't even funny. I can't wait to start bonding with my "kids"! XD

At least it might have better conversation than a Geodude. Guy's seriously got the brains of a rock.

I still hoping that bonding with this feature can increase IV's we don't really need MORE ways to increase ev's. The minigame looks fun enough but I hope certain foods and playing methods can increase IV's

If they make it hard enough it would be perfectly fair

I still hoping that bonding with this feature can increase IV's we don't really need MORE ways to increase ev's. The minigame looks fun enough but I hope certain foods and playing methods can increase IV's

Increasing IVs is something that shouldn't be done, since those are the "Individual Values" of each specific Pokémon and are like their DNA (you know, in code form). Plus there's also the fact that Hidden Power's type and power is calculated by the Pokémon's IVs makes it a huge problem to do so.

Increasing IVs is something that shouldn't be done, since those are the "Individual Values" of each specific Pokémon and are like their DNA (you know, in code form). Plus there's also the fact that Hidden Power's type and power is calculated by the Pokémon's IVs makes it a huge problem to do so.

I'm gonna call bullshit on that.

1. IV's is a fan term half of IV's are randomly generated kinda pokes a whole in the DNA thing

2. They are recalculating the HP to add a new type anyways don't see the point

3. IV's is an incredibly unfair system that encourages cheating it has it's purpose for single player but making it hard enough to raise them protects that. Playing casually is really unfair because someone will be more lucky. Playing with breeding is possible but people are better breeders then others or just cheat or RNG. The only way to get a fair match is through Battle sims

The point of IV's is that they are supposed to be dictated by luck. They are part of what makes individual Pokemon different from each other.

The point of IV's is that they are supposed to be dictated by luck. They are part of what makes individual Pokemon different from each other.

And they would still be different from each other until the IV's are raised which would be a hard process thus they are still earned. The purpose for single player would remain intact and the only thing that IV's do for the metagame is sink your time, reward cheating and ultimately prevent people from playing the metagame which is fucking bullshit.

And they would still be different from each other until the IV's are raised which would be a hard process thus they are still earned. The purpose for single player would remain intact and the only thing that IV's do for the metagame is sink your time, reward cheating and ultimately prevent people from playing the metagame which is fucking bullshit.

Hear, hear! Well put. IV's, as they are detract from the game.

IV's, in my opinion would be better if they were per-level caps on trained points in the various stats, that way, nurture and nature matter and play a better role together, effectively allowing Pokemon with different ceilings to perform different roles in combat.

1. IV's is a fan term half of IV's are randomly generated kinda pokes a whole in the DNA thing

3. IV's is an incredibly unfair system that encourages cheating it has it's purpose for single player but making it hard enough to raise them protects that. Playing casually is really unfair because someone will be more lucky. Playing with breeding is possible but people are better breeders then others or just cheat or RNG. The only way to get a fair match is through Battle sims

1. IVs, combined with base stats and the Pokémon's nature, determine that Pokémon's stats before EVs are applied. Plus IVs apply to other things, such as Hidden Power (which I mentioned already and you completely ignored, by the way). Being able to raise IVs out of the blue after all these years of them being untouchable by honest players (breeders who breed legitly count as honest while those who take advantage of technology don't) throws out the true meaning of IVs and they should just be thrown out altogether if it happens and have Hidden Power be determined by the PID so it stays fixed instead of changing every time IVs are changed within your idea for raising IVs (which without the extra factors being involved wouldn't be a problem with me, but I take everything into consideration).

2. I don't see how the new type has anything to do with HP recalculation at all, let alone IVs (since , and source please.

3. And this point is the least credible of the two more valid points. The system works the way they intended to for those who do things properly (i.e. don't hack or RNG abuse), and again, changing it after its been in use for this long makes no sense for a complete change like this. Small changes over new game generations to the system will work better than a sudden change all at once if a system change is called for by Game Freak. Of course, I'm discounting that there was indeed one of these complete changes to the system between Gen II and Gen III, but that was easily pulled off due to the fact that there was no connectivity between those two gens while there will be this time around. With trying to get the most out of IVs legitly, it would be better to be able to view them and be able to try and get that Pokémon species again with better IVs.

I don't really enjoy doing this, but all factors must be taken into account before something like this can be done to the full extent. Plus what happens if you end up getting a Pokémon with nearly perfect IVs (half 30, the other half 31 (31 being the max)), being able to raise that Pokémon's IVs would make it appear hacked by current hack-check standards, as well as what I've mentioned already.

IV's is an incredibly unfair system that encourages cheating

Lol, wut? No.

Maybe I'd have agreed with you many years ago when IVs were a hidden game mechanic. But Gamefreak have been giving the player various ways to understand and manipulate IVs for ages now, all through legitimate methods provided in-game i.e. the tell-tale phrase on your pokemon's info screen 'mischievous', 'capable of taking hits' etc, the Judge, and most importantly the power items in breeding. It's not 'unfair' just because you choose not to do it (or aren't very good at it - and trust me, it's not difficult to learn. I had it down in 2 weeks and I'm usually a dumbass at technical stuff). That's like saying I used a hasty Arcanine instead of serious one, so I must be 'cheating'. Just...no.

Anyway, back in the world of logic :/ I do hope Pokemon-Amie doesn't give us a way of increasing/decreasing IVs, because as someone above said IVs are meant to be set when a pokemon is born, like its nature, its ability, its genetic makeup. IVs are an added little bonus to EVs; they either give your pokemon a head start or not. If you can change IVs throughout, don't they pretty much become EVs?

1. IVs, combined with base stats and the Pokémon's nature, determine that Pokémon's stats before EVs are applied. Plus IVs apply to other things, such as Hidden Power (which I mentioned already and you completely ignored, by the way). Being able to raise IVs out of the blue after all these years of them being untouchable by honest players (breeders who breed legitly count as honest while those who take advantage of technology don't) throws out the true meaning of IVs and they should just be thrown out altogether if it happens and have Hidden Power be determined by the PID so it stays fixed instead of changing every time IVs are changed within your idea for raising IVs (which without the extra factors being involved wouldn't be a problem with me, but I take everything into consideration).

2. I don't see how the new type has anything to do with HP recalculation at all, let alone IVs (since , and source please.

3. And this point is the least credible of the two more valid points. The system works the way they intended to for those who do things properly (i.e. don't hack or RNG abuse), and again, changing it after its been in use for this long makes no sense for a complete change like this. Small changes over new game generations to the system will work better than a sudden change all at once if a system change is called for by Game Freak. Of course, I'm discounting that there was indeed one of these complete changes to the system between Gen II and Gen III, but that was easily pulled off due to the fact that there was no connectivity between those two gens while there will be this time around. With trying to get the most out of IVs legitly, it would be better to be able to view them and be able to try and get that Pokémon species again with better IVs.

I don't really enjoy doing this, but all factors must be taken into account before something like this can be done to the full extent. Plus what happens if you end up getting a Pokémon with nearly perfect IVs (half 30, the other half 31 (31 being the max)), being able to raise that Pokémon's IVs would make it appear hacked by current hack-check standards, as well as what I've mentioned already.

wyvern obviously used hp as short for hidden power which means that he didn't ignore your point about hidden power and your second comeback is completely pointless, but still I agree that iv system shouldnt be changed, it is true that IVs make it difficult for casual players to stand a chance in the metagame but rather than getting rid of them they should introduce a ranking system so casual players get matched with each other and let the breeders/hackers battle among themselves.

@ontopic
From my experience, I tried both normal Pokemon training and cheating (with PokeGen). There is no fair comparison between those two. On PokeGen, you just set whatever you want, even the rarest, most ridiculous parameters you want like ex. Smeargle with 255 EV's in Attack, without problem whatsoever. In reality, you would have to win battles with Smeargle, against enemies that have high attack stat, that's nearly-impossible. Moreover, some type of EV yielding pokemon are super scarce, for example if you wanted to get Speed EV's for a lvl 40-50 Pokemon, in B/W your only option was fishing for Basculin. Imagine if I wanted to have a high Speed Aerodactyl or Gliscor. You had to win the fights against those Basculin, which is a torture, and you will need a hell lot of potions. What if I wanted to have an EV trained Kingdra? Unless I had another console to play simultaneously and trade, it's not possible to get an EV trained Kingdra in the game. The obtainable ones are only those who you can catch in the wild, and those even though happen to show up only 5% of the time, are worthless because they have no EV training, just like any other pokemon from the bushes. So when you go to the Wi-Fi battles, and see a weather team user with Kingdra having 255 speed EV's and a helpful nature you can be almost sure that this guy cheated to get it. Worst part is that, even if you used Macho Brace and Pokerus, somebody who cheated will achieve better stats than you still, simply because getting EV's in the game comes only from winning battles, which becomes very hard in some cases. Unlike in the the program where all it needs is just typing whatever value you need. If PokeAmii could help with that, so the game wouldn't be actually attracting players to cheat, then I'm all for that.

BTW this picture from PokeAmie is the cutest thing I have seen in Pokemon games ever:
hDC111906

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom