• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

What is your biggest issue with the show?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Misty could use new water Pokemon, like Luvdisc (which was shown in chronicles), Surskit/Masquerain (they could make an interesting plot line with that), Gastrodon as a foil to Ash's Lapras, Alomomola, Frillish as a foil to Jessie's.

Brock could use...anything.

I'm sure they didn't know Rosa would be introduced in a sequel game.

Using females for eye candy just shows the producers don't care about PERSONALITY, or anything else that really matters, and apparently they seem to think the same applies to the target audience, which is LITTLE KIDS *gag*

Misty could use new water Pokemon, like Luvdisc (which was shown in chronicles), Surskit/Masquerain (they could make an interesting plot line with that), Gastrodon as a foil to Ash's Lapras, Alomomola, Frillish as a foil to Jessie's.

Brock could use...anything.

Misty would be tied down to only Water Pokemon and while there were a lot of new Water types in both the third and fourth generation, that would still prevent them from showcasing a more variety of Pokemon in the main cast. Brock could basically get anything since despite being a former Gym Leader of Pewter City, he was never only interested in Rock types like Misty was with Water types was for the most part. I don't mind that he was replaced in BW since he had been around for a long time and Cilan is a pretty fun character in my opinion. Plus, they probably wanted Ash to be the only returning main character to further emphasis how far away Unova was from the other regions, as well as to have an reference to Kanto by making him travel with two characters who are Gym Leaders in the games.

Misty Calls Masquerain said:
I'm sure they didn't know Rosa would be introduced in a sequel game.

They were originally going to be two third version games as opposed to two sequels, so that could have also prevented them from using Rosa even in a similar way to how they used Lyra for HG/SS.

Misty Calls Masquerain said:
Using females for eye candy just shows the producers don't care about PERSONALITY, or anything else that really matters, and apparently they seem to think the same applies to the target audience, which is LITTLE KIDS *gag*

Considering that they all have different personalities, May had some pretty good development and Dawn had so much attention during DP that showed how far she had come as a Coordinator, I don't think that it shows that they don't care about personality or anything else that really matters. It's kind of creepy that they see the female characters as eye candy like that, but up until Iris, I thought that they did put some good effort into the female leads, much more than what Misty and Iris have gotten at least. Besides that, they'd probably see Misty as eye candy too if she was still in the cast and most likely saw her like that during her run as well.

Well at least we both agree that Iris is by far the worst female lead

I agree that she is the worst female lead, but even with how much I dislike Iris, I'm still glad that they replace the characters for various reasons.

I originally voted for Team Rocket's serious change, but since that luckily was changed, my biggest problem would probably be now just the quality of the battles. This is more to do with BW than the series in general, but most of the battles are poorly paced, lack strategy and quite a few of them have cheap wins.

I know its not literally no reason, but then if that's the case, why didn't they use Lucas, Brendan, Hilda, Hilbert, Nate, Rosa? Also they have Pokemon to fulfill their marketing scheme, as well as game locations (even though thry fucked most of them up), contests/Pokeathlon(for HGSS promotion), etc.

Let us not forget that they also do it for eye candy, as stated above.

They didn't use the male playable characters because Ash takes up that role. He's the main character, so he's the exception to the changing characters with every series. As for Hilda and Rosa, there wasn't a sidequest that they could have used like Contests in BW, so they wouldn't be as active as May and Dawn were and since Rosa was introduced in the middle of the fifth generation, it would have been difficult to put her in the main cast. They could just use the Pokemon, game locations and other features to promote the newest generations, but why wouldn't they also include new characters from that generation as well? That provides even more promotion and it would make more sense to include new characters from the games as opposed to keeping the same cast for over a decade, especially when they would be able to provide a more variety of Pokemon with new characters than they would be able to do with say Misty if she was still around.

I'm aware that they change the female leads for eye candy and as creepy as that sounds, it still shows that there is reasoning behind their choice to change the cast with every series. Acting like they do it for no reason and then saying that they do have a reason for it just sounds confusing to me. Like I said before, I understand why you don't like it, but there is reasoning behind their decision.

HGSS was introduced in the middle of the DP season and Lyra still got a cameo, even though what she did was unimportant except for the Cyndaquil transfer. She was introduced for the sake of promotion. There being no side-quests for the female PC to make even a short appearance is just a bad excuse to cover-up how uncreative they are to not even being able to come up with a boring filler plot and toss in the female characters as a CotD like they did with Cheren.

Last edited:
HGSS was introduced in the middle of the DP season and Lyra still got a cameo, even though what she did was unimportant except for the Cyndaquil transfer. She was introduced for the sake of promotion. There being no side-quests for the female lead to make even a short appearance is just a bad excuse to cover-up how uncreative they are to not even being able to come up with a boring filler plot and toss in the female characters as a CotD like they did with Cheren.

They could have done something like the Johto Festival arc for Rosa at least, but that still might have been kind of difficult since they probably couldn't think of a way to insert her or Nate into the series. It would have been nice, but I'm not losing sleep over it either.

HGSS was introduced in the middle of the DP season and Lyra still got a cameo, even though what she did was unimportant except for the Cyndaquil transfer. She was introduced for the sake of promotion. There being no side-quests for the female lead to make even a short appearance is just a bad excuse to cover-up how uncreative they are to not even being able to come up with a boring filler plot and toss in the female characters as a CotD like they did with Cheren.

They could have done something like the Johto Festival arc for Rosa at least, but that still might have been kind of difficult since they probably couldn't think of a way to insert her or Nate into the series. It would have been nice, but I'm not losing sleep over it either.
...in the end, the whole point of this thread on asking people "What is your biggest complaint about the pokemon series?" will always conclude that the writers are lacking in creativity XDD

Misty would be tied down to only Water Pokemon and while there were a lot of new Water types in both the third and fourth generation, that would still prevent them from showcasing a more variety of Pokemon in the main cast.

Way i see it trainer which specialize in water types would better promote and represent water types, and appeal behind Misty niche to use one type was never so much in promotion but more in adding something fresh and different on table as opposite to usual career we followed with Ash.

If your going to promote new games some diversity in main cast line up and unpredictability is always desirable. Rather than making every member of main cast as regular ordinary trainer.

Especially when there is also Ash, Brock, TR or whoever additional new character could join cast setting up groundwork for successful and diverse promotion.

As far as decision of Misty and future female leads being constantly replaced i don't want to go deeper into this with you because we argued back and forth about this too many times and it never leads anywhere, but ill just say how imo doing this to such excessive manner isn't most optimal and logical move with anime losing on stable cast, identity and continuity based story treating characters and stories like one trick pony which left sore taste in mouth for many out there by now.

Considering that they all have different personalities, May had some pretty good development and Dawn had so much attention during DP that showed how far she had come as a Coordinator, I don't think that it shows that they don't care about personality or anything else that really matters. It's kind of creepy that they see the female characters as eye candy like that, but up until Iris, I thought that they did put some good effort into the female leads, much more than what Misty and Iris have gotten at least. Besides that, they'd probably see Misty as eye candy too if she was still in the cast and most likely saw her like that during her run as well.

Im of opinion how its only Iris with who writers didn't put enough effort or handled her storyline/growth consistently and in conceivable manner due to chain of unfortunate circumstances. However in Misty case while in comparison to coordinators her story and dreams weren't much explored being treated as haphazard plots, as far as characterization goes and emotional growth ill be willing to say how Misty developed most as person after May in my opinion with writers doing decent job in that department.

That some Pokemon do not receive the screentime and development they deserve.

There's just something I want to point out.

One of the reasons BW is my least favorite season is that the series relied/relies on too many running gags for jokes and after a while they get old quick. Am I the only one who rolled my eyes whenever Bianca would knock Ash into the water or when people would repeatedly get Stephan's name wrong? Jokes like these are fine the first few times but when you constantly repeat them they get tiring. Even jokes that last in one or a series of episodes get old, like Bianca with Zorua in the Don Battle Tournament or that one filler with the CotD constantly tripping over a rock. I don't think any other arc had this problem.

One of the reasons BW is my least favorite season is that the series relied/relies on too many running gags for jokes and after a while they get old quick. Am I the only one who rolled my eyes whenever Bianca would knock Ash into the water or when people would repeatedly get Stephan's name wrong? Jokes like these are fine the first few times but when you constantly repeat them they get tiring. Even jokes that last in one or a series of episodes get old, like Bianca with Zorua in the Don Battle Tournament or that one filler with the CotD constantly tripping over a rock. I don't think any other arc had this problem.

I agree. Honestly, at first, I found both running gags funny, but now...not so much.

We've already seen the name gag Stephan has with Butch so many times that it kind of loses staying power without him. xD.

As for Bianca constantly pushing Ash in the water, I did think it was funny the first few times, but it's been so overused to the point where it's just annoying and repetitive after a while.

I definitely got tired of Bianca's running gags practically instantly. It also didn't help that they took what was a really good developed rival character from the games into a female Barry who is both unskilled and unfunny. So basically a female Barry without any likable charm. Stephan's gag got really old fast, especially when that gag for Butch's name got old years ago. I think that they were trying to compensate for Team Rocket not being around in every episode and being comic relief by throwing in more running gags, but I think that backfired.

The fact that Ash has never got close to his dream of being a Pokemon master. Not even one step.

I definitely got tired of Bianca's running gags practically instantly. It also didn't help that they took what was a really good developed rival character from the games into a female Barry who is both unskilled and unfunny. So basically a female Barry without any likable charm. Stephan's gag got really old fast, especially when that gag for Butch's name got old years ago. I think that they were trying to compensate for Team Rocket not being around in every episode and being comic relief by throwing in more running gags, but I think that backfired.

I agree about Bianca and how she was pretty much turned into a not as funny, female version of Barry. I'll admit that she has her moments but I find her more annoying than funny in most cases, especially with her running gags. Bianca's one of those characters that's good in small doses as long as you don't overdo the jokes (Zorua in the Don Battle tournament and her "muscle" obsession in the Donamite tournament especially for me.) The episode with her dad was the one where I really liked her since they included an element from the games.

I guess they were trying to add in more humor since Team Rocket wasn't comic relief, but there's a limit to a joke being funny and a joke getting run into the ground. At least now the gags seemed to be toned down, mostly because Ash's rivals are gone now and Team Rocket seems to be going back to their role as comic relief.

Not about the anime itself, but it annoys me that Boomerang is using a commercial featuring only clips from OS to advertise...the Diamond and Pearl saga. They can't update their commercial, seriously?

*Facepalms* I even remember back when Diamond and Pearl was airing, Cartoon Network had the gal to say the Pokémon Advanced episodes were "NEW!" Right, new to your station: you're about 4-5 years late to the party, you idiots. :mad:

Last edited:
Not about the anime itself, but it annoys me that Boomerang is using a commercial featuring only clips from OS to advertise...the Diamond and Pearl saga. They can't update their commercial, seriously?

*Facepalms* I even remember back when Diamond and Pearl was airing, Cartoon Network had the gal to say the Pokémon Advanced episodes were "NEW!" Right, new to your station: you're about 4-5 years late to the party, you idiots. :mad:

They could at least have said "New to Cartoon Network".

I agree about Bianca and how she was pretty much turned into a not as funny, female version of Barry. I'll admit that she has her moments but I find her more annoying than funny in most cases, especially with her running gags. Bianca's one of those characters that's good in small doses as long as you don't overdo the jokes (Zorua in the Don Battle tournament and her "muscle" obsession in the Donamite tournament especially for me.) The episode with her dad was the one where I really liked her since they included an element from the games.

I guess they were trying to add in more humor since Team Rocket wasn't comic relief, but there's a limit to a joke being funny and a joke getting run into the ground. At least now the gags seemed to be toned down, mostly because Ash's rivals are gone now and Team Rocket seems to be going back to their role as comic relief.

Even in small doses, Bianca was pretty annoying for me. Even that episode with her father didn't really work since she hasn't really grown like she had by that point in the game and their main defense came down to how she sometimes travels with Ash and his friends, as opposed to anything Bianca has actually done. Most of their other running gags get run into the ground, so I wasn't too surprised that they did that with these running gags. At least with Team Rocket being comic relief again, the gags are mostly toned down.

EmotionalTensionPKMN said:

To be fair, they usually do that with any show that has aired on another channel and while they could just say its new to their channel, they probably wanted to make them sound like brand new episodes to get better ratings. However, lets keep focus on issues with the series itself, instead of how other channels have handled it.

The fact that Ash has never got close to his dream of being a Pokemon master. Not even one step.

And so we see Ash on his journey to be Pokemon Master...for the next twenty years.

When Best Wishes Season 2 rolled around in my country, they aired dub advertisements with mini trailers for the Unova League, and Ash appeared saying, "I'm definitely going to win!!"

...*face-palm*

We really need a major league win for him.

Team Rocket is my biggest complaint right now. I mean it's times where they are not even needed in order to start certain conficts when the characters themselves have a great job of doing that. Especially in BW. I wonder who thought it was a necessary idea to have them show up in each episode again like we weren't getting along with the how without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom