• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you do with your starter?

What do you do with your starter?

• Use it the whole game!

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • Use it until I find something else.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Box it forever as soon as possible.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Trade it to another game to get something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Before Unova, I don't keep the starter for long, after catching 6 Pokemon and the next catch is a Pokemon I really like or want, I will replace the starter with the new Pokemon.

I can't do this in Unova/5th generation games since one of the starter's middle evolution (Dewott) is my #1 favorite Pokemon, I know there is no way I'm going to replace it. It will be permanent member of the team, but most likely won't be the leader/dominant Pokemon - that job belongs to another Pokemon [almost always Mienfoo/Mienshao].

Keep it in my party the whole game and at the highest level of my team, aside from any legendaries I may add. The only time I may box it is when I have a full team of other EV trained 'mons.

What do I do? I catch a wild Pokémon, trade it to a friend, restart my game, get a different starter, trade it to a friend, restart the game, do it a third time, and then get all 3 back from my friend! JK.

I tend to keep it in my party. :D

What do I do? I catch a wild Pokémon, trade it to a friend, restart my game, get a different starter, trade it to a friend, restart the game, do it a third time, and then get all 3 back from my friend! JK.

I just did that on the Platinum I just got because I needed all three to complete my starter collection. Having 2/3 Pokémon not obey half the time made things a bit harder. :p

I just did that on the Platinum I just got because I needed all three to complete my starter collection. Having 2/3 Pokémon not obey half the time made things a bit harder. :p

Hey, it's an intelligent thing to do. :)

I always keep it, I just feel cruel when I shove my first friend in the Pokemon world into a box and never touch him again. (No innuendo intended.) Plus, the balanced stats and large movepools of started make them really useful later on.

White was the first game I didn't keep my starter on my team. Serperior is cool-looking, but its stats are weirdly distributed and Grass-types are weak to too many things.

In my White 2, Oshawott never got the chance to evolve. What does that say about me?

I use my starting Pokémon, and usually raise it all the way up to level 100. It is usually at the beginning of my party.

box that shit

naahhhh, i'm kidding, but there's some truth halfway through that. most of the time i plan out my party before i even start my playthrough; more often than not, my starter isn't really a part of that. so at about level 20-30, depending on the region, i'll dump my starter for something else. i don't inherently value my starter more than any other member of my team, even though it is sometimes the strongest member of my team. notwithstanding that, i'll still box it sometimes because i've played through the games a multitude of times with my starters and it's not really that fun for me anymore.

I keep them in my main party. I plan the rest of my team around the starter's typing. :)

I always have really strong bonds with my Pokemon and feel a personal obligation to make them the best they can be. I'm also one of those people who has to rotate constantly so that I don't feel like I'm ignoring anyone and could never bear trading any of them away. (I get really attached to games).

Naturally, I feel the strongest bond with my starter, and make it a point to always pick the same in every run through and give it the same name (luckily I've always gotten male starters). So I train my starter the hardest and it usually becomes the strongest member on my team.

Regardless of how strong it is, I always bring it with me to the Elite 4 and Champion battles because I feel like seeing as it was my first Pokemon it deserves to be with me in the Hall of fame.

It's sad, but I've broken my starter-always-in-party record. In Black 2 I used my serperior for a bit, but I boxed him in at like level 38-48 I think. Other than that, I've always kept my starters in my team no matter what :) (to bad I lost all of my other damn games to prove that fact)!

I almost always keep my starter. I only haven't once, but it was a no starter replay of SS, so it doesn't really count. Sadly, though, for the first time I might not use a starter. If Chespin becomes Grass/Dark like the rumors say, then I'll probably box it and replace it because I'm definitely choosing Chespin but Grass/Dark is a terrible typing. I'm hoping it becomes Grass/Rock, but we won't know for sure for a while.

Up until Generation V I had my starter as my strongest, but in Generation V I chose to not evolve it and shafted it for my evolved Pokemon.

I usually keep my starter in my team, and build my team around them. =) I just feel too attached to my starters to put them in boxes forever. If I put them in a box, then I usually take them out later. xD.

During my first play through I like to use my starter the whole time, after that I just do whatever.

When I first started out playing Pokemon, I always kept my starter in my party. I kept Venusaur throughout Leafgreen, Swampert in Ruby, Typhlosion in SS/HG, and kept Empoleon in Pearl and Platinum. After that though, since I liked the starters less, I started evolving them, then boxing them straight away. In fact, the only starter I've kept in my team for awhile now is my Typhlosion, since it's part of my main team.

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom