• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things in Pokemon that don't make sense

i don't understand why lugia isn't a water type

That's a good point. I suppose the best explanation is that it's Water qualities aren't prominent enough. A Pokemon's primary type would be based on what type qualities are strongest, and the secondary type would be, well, the runner up. But Pokemon can still have elements of a third type, like Lapras. Lapras is a Water and Ice type, and yet it can communicate psychically. So it has Psychic type traits. But those traits aren't enough to classify it as Psychic, not over either it's Water type qualities or Ice type qualities.

I suppose then that Lugia's Psychic and Flying type qualities are just too prominent, and whatever water traits it does have aren't enough to give it full on Water type status over the other two. Now whether or not that explanation works...

yea i get what you're saying but it's still the guardian of the sea that sounds like instant water type to me

yea i get what you're saying but it's still the guardian of the sea that sounds like instant water type to me

If you take a look at Lugia's learnset (ignoring the Normal-type moves), it learns 3 Psychic moves, 3 Flying moves, 2 Water moves, and 1 of Dragon, Rock, and Dark moves. If you take a look at the TM and HM moves (ignoring Normal-type moves again), it can learn 8 Psychic moves, 4 Water moves, and a bunch of other stuff. Like what reynard said, the other two types are way dominant over water (Psychic moves>Water moves; Can fly, has wings).

And I'm also betting the term "Guardian of the Sea" is just what Lugia is colloquially known as.

In addition to my earlier "how to Water types resist Ice attack damage" question, I have a few more. How is it that Water types take more damage from Grass type attacks? I get the other way around, that Grass types resist water damage. Plants may like water being thrown at them (although you can over water a plant). But what is it about Grass type attacks that ends up doing more damage that usual to a Water type body? It is just that Grass types can get around water attacks, so they are able to hit more?

Also, why does it seem like most Fire type Pokemon learn Fire Spin before Flamethrower. Okay, I get that some attacks use the same kind of skills. I could understand not being able to use some attacks. Pokemon grow too, and young Fire types may not have grown enough to produce a solid jet of flame. So maybe they would learn something like Ember first, like May's Torchick. That was a punch of small flames. But why Fire Spin before Flamethrower? It seems backwards. Fire Spin involves taking a jet of flame and making it go in a spiral motion. Wouldn't you have to learn how to produce a jet of flame in straight line (Flamethrower) before you cold even try making it spin? Wouldn't Flamethrower be first because it is easier? Some Fire types like Vulpix don't do that, but it just bothers me.

I can understand Reshiram being able to fly with it's lightweight [relative] frame and booster in its tail.

But Zekrom? Does he use the friction of the air or something?

I can understand Reshiram being able to fly with it's lightweight [relative] frame and booster in its tail.

But Zekrom? Does he use the friction of the air or something?

Bulbapedia said:
Zekrom's tail contains a generator that produces energy for its Electric-based attacks and emits a sort of anti-gravity field which enables it to float and fly through the skies with minimal effects from aerodynamic resistance and the planet's gravity.

That children can actually afford to travel the world and that they have everything they need in those small backpacks that they carry around....

1) How come you can't catch a Pokemon even if it fainted?

2) Even if your Pokemon use moves like Earthquake, the Player character won't get hurt

3) You're using a Legendary Pokemon in a battle, yet no one seems to say anything

4) Even though the Pokedex says certain Pokemon are temperamental or despise humans, you can still get one with a Jolly nature; or a Pokemon that would slowly warm up to you.

5) The Professors telling you that you may not use certain Key Items. Were they spying on me?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom