• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Why are Pokemon pages like Xerneas and Yveltal, who now have a lot of information revealed, still locked, when Kalos, which we still know very little about, is not? Actually, why are Pokemon pages locked at all when other articles detailing Gen VI are not? I suppose it is to prevent vandalism and false information, but why not lock everything instead (or unlock everything instead)? Or semi-lock them (so only certain type of users can edit them, like autoconfirmed users and above or something)?

Anyway, what I kind of wanted to get to was that Xerneas Physiology section contains false information and I'd like to edit that out, but well, I can't.

The Kalos article is protected as well, though its protection level is slightly more relaxed than the species articles. It's standard practice that new generation articles are protected until the release of the games, so they won't be unprotected for quite some time. If you want something changed on a protected article, you can make an edit request on the article's talk page.

@qwertyo76; I don't recall the specifics on the crash, so I can't elaborate on it. Sorry.

Why are Pokemon pages like Xerneas and Yveltal, who now have a lot of information revealed, still locked, when Kalos, which we still know very little about, is not? Actually, why are Pokemon pages locked at all when other articles detailing Gen VI are not? I suppose it is to prevent vandalism and false information, but why not lock everything instead (or unlock everything instead)? Or semi-lock them (so only certain type of users can edit them, like autoconfirmed users and above or something)?

Anyway, what I kind of wanted to get to was that Xerneas Physiology section contains false information and I'd like to edit that out, but well, I can't.

The Kalos article is protected as well, though its protection level is slightly more relaxed than the species articles. It's standard practice that new generation articles are protected until the release of the games, so they won't be unprotected for quite some time. If you want something changed on a protected article, you can make an edit request on the article's talk page.

Still think they should have the same protection level as the Kalos article, because it becomes kind of frustrating when you want to edit them as well but can't. I did make a talk page request a couple of months ago, but I got no responses so I gave up on it. Thanks for your reply, anyway.

I was surprised you didn't have one already but what might opinions be on a page for "Sprite Errors". This can include both physical ones like Koffing and Cloyster, as well as incorrect colors like Suicune and Spinarak.

I did notice there was an Anime animation errors page, though it has been kinda abandoned and is really incomplete. I feel Sprites would be easier without having to go through each Pokemon just to see if they have been consistent.

I was surprised you didn't have one already but what might opinions be on a page for "Sprite Errors". This can include both physical ones like Koffing and Cloyster, as well as incorrect colors like Suicune and Spinarak.

I did notice there was an Anime animation errors page, though it has been kinda abandoned and is really incomplete. I feel Sprites would be easier without having to go through each Pokemon just to see if they have been consistent.

There is a sprite errors page in the userspace right now: User:Vuvuzela2010/Sprite Errors - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia. Not sure how close it is to being in the mainspace, or if it'll be there at all, but yeah.

There is a sprite errors page in the userspace right now: User:Vuvuzela2010/Sprite Errors - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia. Not sure how close it is to being in the mainspace, or if it'll be there at all, but yeah.

Thanks, I didn't think to look in the userspaces!

I think I found an issue related to the Save data structure in Generation I, in the File Structure section (Save data structure in Generation I - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia).

The offset related to the Pokemon item list is 1 byte wrong. Instead of 0x27e7, it is (or at least in my save) 0x27e6. The offset in the File Structure stated in the article, points to the Index of the first item in the PC Inventory list, instead of the first byte of the PC Item List (that correspond to the amount of items in the list).

Can somebody please confirm me, if it is an error in the article, or if the save structure differs from other versions?

Also, I am looking at the data, and I think the Entry format is reversed. 0x00 correspond to the Index in my save, and 0x01 to the Count.

http://i.imgur.com/EEODrnF.jpg

In this image, 0x27e6 = 0x23, which means there are 35 items in the PC (and there are 35 items there). 14 is the ID of the first item in the entry, that according to the list of items, it's a Potion. Then, 0x01 is the quantity of that item, which is 1.

Last edited:
I don't know whether this belongs here or in its own thread. Anyway, I noticed two errors with the Japanese names in places, I figured it's easier if I post annotated images.

Pangoro:

pangoroname_zps78da3f7e.png

The one on the right above its artwork doesn't have the correct symbol(?) at the start, it's missing the little " thing from above it, but the one on the left is correct.

Orotto:
oorottoname_zps472295a0.png

There's an apostraphe (or something like one) at the start of the Japanese name above the screenshot (not talking about the huge one on the line above, it's actually right at the beginning of the Japanese text in the yellow box). Minor and really hard to notice, but it's still an error.

----------

I also have a suggestion for Sylveon's name origin. The word sylvan:

n. One that lives in or frequents the woods.

n. (Myth & Legend / Classical Myth & Legend) an inhabitant of the woods, esp a spirit

Eeveelutions are meant to represent their types, and fairies are often related to forest/woods, so one that lives in the woods isn't a stretch, and fairies can be seen as spirits (I think sylvan is more likely as the name than sylph personally). I guess it could also come from salve (2. To ease the distress or agitation of; assuage) because we know Sylveon can soothe using its ribbons. Soothe is a synonym for assuage, in any case. Sylvan needs to be mentioned in its name origin, though.

Oh and I think Skrelp also includes scrap in its name, especially since the Japanese name apparently includes "seaweed scraps".

Last edited:
Orotto:
oorottoname_zps472295a0.png

There's an apostraphe (or something like one) at the start of the Japanese name above the screenshot (not talking about the huge one on the line above, it's actually right at the beginning of the Japanese text in the yellow box). Minor and really hard to notice, but it's still an error.
Got Pangoro, but the issue with Oorotto isn't an error; it's because the |name= parameter isn't filled in. Once that is, the bit you're pointing out will clean itself up.

Posted this incorrectly on the ARCHIVE version of this thread. Oops:

So...
1)Silcoon and Dustox don't have a notifier when they are available in Bug-Catching Contest in their own pages(it's Thursday). They also state their encounter rate is unknown even though it is present in the Bug-Catching Contest page.
2)The total encounter rate in Route 222 for Pearl is %120. This error was also present on Serebii but it is fixed now.
3)A lot of movesets need to be checked for errors and some of the forgotten moves from the TCG, manga and animé they can't learn legally. One of these on my head is Mr. Mime having Dig in its Gen III learnset(though I haven't checked it myself in a cartridge, it is not mentioned in other websites' dexes and the Dig's own page) and Trapinch using Bind in EX Dragon 79 not being mentioned by the TCG errors or the Trapinch's page.
4)Azumarill's page states that it can be found in both rustling grass and rippling water in Abundant Shrine. This is only true for White 2 according to Abundant Shrine's page, as Audino has an increased encounter rate in Black 2 instead.
5)A lot of Pokémon that appear through phenomenons have very inconsistent mentions in their game locations. Some just say they are rare and some say they can be found in rippling water without mentioning it is through surfing or fishing and so on.
6)A lot of Pokémon that can learn Defog don't have DPPt notifier in their Gen IV learnsets, such as Fearow.
7)It seems that there are inaccuracies in the Dual-slot page, for example in Route 205 it states that Seedot appears in Platinum instead of Lotad in Diamond/Pearl, but Lotad is mentioned for Route 205 for all of the D/P/Pt and Seedot is mentioned for neither.
8)Though version exclusives page mention wild exclusives for B/W/B2/W2, the other games' wild exclusives such as Banette/Dusclops are not noted for.
9)Matutinal, nocturnal and diurnal Pokémon pages are already described as stubs, but they really need a major cleanup, especially a distinction between Pokémon that are only active in a specific time of day and the ones that are also active in another time of day, as oppossed to having this confusing set-up that features Pokémon that are active in one time only and the ones that are active in two different periods in the same section.
10)Metronome's page states that Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff can learn Metronome even though other websites dexes and their own page state the opposite, but again I haven't checked this in the games.
11)Hidden grotto page and routes that contain them just use Rare, Uncommon etc. instead of proper percantages. Event-only encounters such as the Eeveelutions and the new pack of Pokémon that contain Dragonair, Magneton etc. are not noted for either. Is there a specific reason why this is the case?
12)List of Pokémon with unique type combinations don't have options to order the list according to dex number, types etc. It is completely static.

Anatomy Vs. Physiology

I already asked this if we could change all Physiology to Anatomy under Biology section or add Anatomy to it.It doesn't fit at all, that the description of the Pokemon's body parts is not Physiology.

Anatomy Vs. Physiology

I already asked this if we could change all Physiology to Anatomy under Biology section or add Anatomy to it.It doesn't fit at all, that the description of the Pokemon's body parts is not Physiology.

We've got an announcement related to this coming soon. Just need to make sure we've covered everything we need to.

Why don't the sprites move for Generation 5 in the sprite section for a Pokémon article?

Speaking of the new announcement:

Is this something everyone can do? I really want to help around here but I'm more into the Archives side of things haha! But without powers on eitherside, the things I want to do can't be done, leading to me being useless most of the time when I have the time to help haha. So back to the original question, is it something that wants doing now by everyone or is it limited at a certain time and it would be preferred for a specific person or group of people to tackle?

Is this something everyone can do? I really want to help around here but I'm more into the Archives side of things haha! But without powers on eitherside, the things I want to do can't be done, leading to me being useless most of the time when I have the time to help haha. So back to the original question, is it something that wants doing now by everyone or is it limited at a certain time and it would be preferred for a specific person or group of people to tackle?

Everyone can help out is my thinking. There's a lot of Pokemon to be fixed up, and with all of the other things that may also need doing leading up to X and Y, having everyone help would be pretty ideal.

Question: This Pokémon quiz keeps popping up over articles, making it impossible for me to even read them (it blocks out a portion as I scroll). Is there to close these that I'm missing? Can I get rid of them?

I was looking at Pokemon listed by the IQ Group. In the trivia it says "However, Mawile is Fairy-type in Mega evolution". Close, but Mawile itself was re-typed with the Fairy typing, not just its Mega evolution. Someone mind fixing this?

Hi! :)
I don't agree with the decision of inserting Mega Evolutions in the pages of their respective pre-Mega evolved formes. I mean, they aren't permanent evolutions, but they do differ a lot from their normal formes and they change (not always, but is hinted they will) type and ability.

I use Bulbapedia in order to gain information about a specific Pokémon, when I need it, and if I want to learn about Mega Ampharos, i found myself in the normal Ampharos page that doesn't show me Mega Ampharos artwork, new type (ok, it's written, but it's not apparent in the frame as others double-typed Pokémon), new ability and, presumably, new attacks and stats.
It would be also a pleasure, for collectioner-fans to have distinct pages for Pokémon and their Mega Evolution, because, in my opinion, some of them were designed to be normal Evolutions (I bet Mega Mawile would have been a normal one, but after the Mega invention, they switched it as a Mega in order to have more Megas), so they deserve their own Bulbapedia page! :)

I say that because I'm a great fan of Bulbapedia, and I really love its impagination, so I'd love to see Mega Pokémon have their own pages too!

Sorry for my English! Thank you!!!! :)

Question: This Pokémon quiz keeps popping up over articles, making it impossible for me to even read them (it blocks out a portion as I scroll). Is there to close these that I'm missing? Can I get rid of them?

That's what I'm wondering; are those supposed to be legitimately all over Bulbapedia? To me, they looked like a spammy advert at first glance that's trying to impersonate Bulbapedia/Bulbanews... And I also see them constantly blocking text on Bulbanews, either forcing me to view the page's source or login in order to view properly...

Hi! :)
I don't agree with the decision of inserting Mega Evolutions in the pages of their respective pre-Mega evolved formes. I mean, they aren't permanent evolutions, but they do differ a lot from their normal formes and they change (not always, but is hinted they will) type and ability.

I use Bulbapedia in order to gain information about a specific Pokémon, when I need it, and if I want to learn about Mega Ampharos, i found myself in the normal Ampharos page that doesn't show me Mega Ampharos artwork, new type (ok, it's written, but it's not apparent in the frame as others double-typed Pokémon), new ability and, presumably, new attacks and stats.

Hmm...I'm waiting to see on what the refined implementation of Mega Evolutions will be on Bulbapedia, but I'm more of the opinion that they should have their own articles (or "sub-pages", like the PWT article has with certain tourneys) (mainly to detail exactly what the changes are compared to the "pre-evo" of the Mega Evolution) while still being mentioned in some areas of the original "species" page (such as in the "Evolution" flowchart section). The Mega Evolutions don't seem to be consistent (some retain original typing yet change Ability, some change typing but retain Ability, some change BOTH typing and Ability, not to mention how lots of the movesets and Base Stats are potentially altered), and the species pages are getting longer with more information already.

Thanks for indicating that userspace work-in-progress page; I'm hoping it gets mainspaced at some point... It seems that "sprite errors & sprite variants" have been heavily discouraged (nowadays; moreso the errors) on Bulbapedia for some time, but I feel that they should be noted as a few of them are quite easy to miss at a glance unless you pay specific attention to things on the sprites (like shading, hue, etc.).

Everyone can help out is my thinking. There's a lot of Pokemon to be fixed up, and with all of the other things that may also need doing leading up to X and Y, having everyone help would be pretty ideal.

Regarding the recent consolidation of the "Biology" section of Pokemon, I was fine with the previous system, but so far, the condensation seems to be somewhat alright, from what I saw on Bulbasaur's article. At first, I disagreed with the section's naming of simply "Biology" (as I tend to read 'biology' as synonymous to 'anatomy' a lot >_>), but seeing as a Pokemon's habitat is part of "biology" (as in, within the subset of ecology), I'm totally fine with the naming now. :) However, I really don't think it would hurt to have simple sub-headings of "Anatomy" and "Ecology" (for a Pokemon's design and residing area, respectively) to help clarify navigation (because on Bulbasaur's page at the moment, you have to read/skim a bit of the paragraph briefly to properly find where anatomy/gender differences and ecology are being described). Maybe "Special techniques" (I'm not inclined to 'Special abilities', so the theoretical section can be kept distinct from actual Pokemon Abilities) would be better, as well as "Diet" (unless I missed it or because it lacked such a section before, Bulbasaur is missing a 'Diet' entry at the moment). I'll try to help make the "Biology revamp" transition go smoother, if I can.

However, I also strongly disagree with the complete removal of the FireRed/LeafGreen habitat icons. I don't mind at all if the icon is removed from its "free-floating" position on the page, but it needs to be properly indicated somewhere on the page for the Pokemon that do have them. A small entry box for the habitat icon in the main infobox could suffice, IMO. I mean, not all Pokemon have Fiore or Almia browser numbers, yet those are still shown on the page (for Bulbasaur, at least). The FR/LG habitats are just as vital (if not more vital, as the Habitat Icons are from actual handheld main series games while the browser numbers derive from the spinoff Pokemon Ranger series).

Thanks for taking all of this into consideration.

However, I also strongly disagree with the complete removal of the FireRed/LeafGreen habitat icons. I don't mind at all if the icon is removed from its "free-floating" position on the page, but it needs to be properly indicated somewhere on the page for the Pokemon that do have them. A small entry box for the habitat icon in the main infobox could suffice, IMO. I mean, not all Pokemon have Fiore or Almia browser numbers, yet those are still shown on the page (for Bulbasaur, at least). The FR/LG habitats are just as vital (if not more vital, as the Habitat Icons are from actual handheld main series games while the browser numbers derive from the spinoff Pokemon Ranger series).

As someone who raised this objection in discussions of the biology revamp, I agree, but have an alternate plan for the FRLG habitat icons. I'm hoping to make a separate infobox like the spin-off one, and put minor info like FRLG habitat, Prop equip slots, color group, AR Code, etc. there. I'm just really good at putting things off, so I can't make any guarantees on a timeframe.

Back
Top Bottom