• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Flare

Even before the disaster, it didn't really look like the writers were going to adapt Team Plasma totally faithfully. I don't believe we heard a whiff about Team Plasma trying to get people to release Pokémon, which was such a major part of their game plot (compared to say, Team Galactic's facade of searching for alternative energy sources, which was very minor and could easily be skipped.) Now who knows, maybe the writers would have focused on Pokémon liberation but I doubt they ever had any intention of doing that.

I would say "But BW1 Team Plasma's [apparent] shtick is Pokémon liberation! You can't do Plasma without Pokémon liberation!" but obviously the anime disproves that. But hey, having Team Plasma generically trying to conquer and nothing else is good too. To each their own.

Last edited:
Even before the disaster, it didn't really look like the writers were going to adapt Team Plasma totally faithfully. I don't believe we heard a whiff about Team Plasma trying to get people to release Pokémon, which was such a major part of their game plot (compared to say, Team Galactic's facade as searching for alternative energy sources, which was very minor and could easily be skilled.) Now who knows, maybe the writers would have focused on Pokémon liberation but I really doubt the writers ever had any intention of doing that.

I would say "But BW1 Team Plasma's [apparent] schtick is Pokémon liberation! You can't do Plasma without Pokémon liberation!" but obviously the anime disproves that. But hey, having Team Plasma generically trying to conquer and nothing else is good too. To each their own.

Well, Team Plasma ended up being altered so much from the original plans that they were made to the point of "in name only", they ended up essentially becoming a full on expy of Team Rocket, simply mind-controlling Pokemon to do their bidding rather than liberating them for the better, you could replace Ghetsis with Giovanni, Corless with Dr. Zager, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And I often felt like they had no time to write them correctly because Gen 6 was coming in a year, so they had to hastily write them in without doing any research on the Team Plasma from the games. They looked like the BW2 Plasma, but acted like Team Rocket overall.

Even though Team Flair has been simplified, I just hope that they actually have them act in-character, which is unlikely since, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the writers don't know how to handle villains other than Jessie, James, and Meowth properly, and even then, they've screwed those three up in the past, so my hopes for Team Flair in the anime are VERY LOW.

So after today's site update it seems it really is Team Flare as in fire. Lots of fiery vibes and they even had a Houndour in the trailer. Makes you immediately wonder if there's another grassy or watery team doesn't it? :p

Something else I noticed in the screenshots is Team Flare are looking to steal and sell fossils in a cave. It sounds kinda like something another team did...or rather, exactly what that other team did.

Re: Team Flair

Where does it say the official name? As far as I know we just have フレア団 (furea-dan) from Corocoro, which could be spelled either Flare or Flair.
The website now officially states that the correct spelling is "Flare". I do, however, apologize for not checking my resources earlier.

Team Flare is now confirmed to be the official spelling, so the thread title has been altered accordingly.

I expect them to be foreshadowed bit by bit every couple of episodes before the huge two part plot finale as always. As for Team Rocket, I don't think they'll attempt to do another Gang battle since the Seismic Disaster pretty much doomed that premise; So expect the TRio to be sent to Kelos to spy on Team Flare instead.

I think that it would be handled decently. :)

Even before the disaster, it didn't really look like the writers were going to adapt Team Plasma totally faithfully. I don't believe we heard a whiff about Team Plasma trying to get people to release Pokémon, which was such a major part of their game plot (compared to say, Team Galactic's facade of searching for alternative energy sources, which was very minor and could easily be skipped.) Now who knows, maybe the writers would have focused on Pokémon liberation but I doubt they ever had any intention of doing that.

I would say "But BW1 Team Plasma's [apparent] shtick is Pokémon liberation! You can't do Plasma without Pokémon liberation!" but obviously the anime disproves that. But hey, having Team Plasma generically trying to conquer and nothing else is good too. To each their own.

I also agree with this. I thought that 2parter team plasma was just another version of anime team rocket to me.

I can't see what room there is for them in the anime while Team Rocket exist, though they look awesome at least.

I expect them to be foreshadowed bit by bit every couple of episodes before the huge two part plot finale as always. As for Team Rocket, I don't think they'll attempt to do another Gang battle since the Seismic Disaster pretty much doomed that premise; So expect the TRio to be sent to Kelos to spy on Team Flare instead.

I don't think that the earthquake prevents Team Rocket from having a confrontation with another evil team. They'd probably just avoid having a lot of buildings being destroyed since that was the only reason the two-parter was taken out shortly after the earthquake. Though, if they'll have Team Rocket back to their usual selves, we probably wouldn't have more serious confrontation with Team Flare either. I think that it's more likely that they'll follow Ash and Pikachu and come across Team Flare like they did for Teams Magma. Aqua and Galactic.

If they do go that route, hopefully Team Flare does appear more often throughout the series. Even though they still haven't left the best impression on me, I still would prefer for them to have some sense of presence throughout the series and not be thrown into a arc. While I like Episode N, that still was a bad way to handle Team Plasma and I'd prefer to see the next evil team to be handled better in the anime.

This could be refreshing. After the serious plot surrounding Team Plasma, we get something more light that doesn't require much thinking or anything too deep. It would be fun to see them appear like Team Rocket who's goal was also money

Like a couple other people in this thread, I really want to see a couple of Team Flare agents in the anime have a Butch-and-Cassidy-type rivalry with Jessie and James. It makes sense because if money is the object, it's a natural goal for both teams. It'll also give Team Rocket something to do, and they can drive their own storylines instead of relying on Ash's storyline to completely (and sometimes awkwardly) pull them into the story.

As long as Team Flare isn't handled like Plasma, I'm content. If they end up having appearances similar to Galactic but with more emphasis, I'm pumped. Can't wait to see their FABULOUSness in action!

And a TR/TF rivalry would also work because Jessie and James are going to HATE the idea of people out there more fashionable and fabulous than them! (Oooh, this ain't gonna be pretty :uhoh:)

I think we need more information before we jump to conclusions. It would seem redundant to have two teams doing the same thing, though.

Well they could dump Team Rocket who hasn't had much of a plot since Kanto and use the new team. That would work if anything else. They really do need a change. I'm tired of them always after Ash's pokemon like there isn't anyone else they can steal from.

I think we need more information before we jump to conclusions. It would seem redundant to have two teams doing the same thing, though.

Well they could dump Team Rocket who hasn't had much of a plot since Kanto and use the new team. That would work if anything else. They really do need a change. I'm tired of them always after Ash's pokemon like there isn't anyone else they can steal from.

I think if that happens this maybe the start of the beginning of the end of an era

As long as they're not treated the same as Team Plasma and actually appear a fair amount of times, I'll be happy.

As long as they're not treated the same as Team Plasma and actually appear a fair amount of times, I'll be happy.

Exactly! Team Plasma could have been EPIC in the anime but instead they just get a small arc.

I do worry that Team Flare might get treated just as bad as Team Plasma. It all depends if the writers feel like using the team to their full potential.

Exactly! Team Plasma could have been EPIC in the anime but instead they just get a small arc.

I do worry that Team Flare might get treated just as bad as Team Plasma.

Or worse, Teams Aqua & Magma :uhoh:

The real problem is that the Producers just don't know what to DO with the Villains most of the time. The annoying part is that Villain Teams keep getting a bigger role & stronger presence each generation, but Producers would (much) rather show Ash-tachi & friends having inconsequential misadventures that put a certain Pokémon in the spotlight (whether it deserves it or not) :banghead:

The only "bad guys" they really want to use are the TRio...who are often more like comic relief sidekicks than actual villains :dead:

Also:

For all we know, TF's goal of wanting money--while refreshing--could be a cover for something bigger...
(like how TP's goal of liberation was a front)

Last edited:

I do worry that Team Flare might get treated just as bad as Team Plasma.

Or worse, Teams Aqua & Magma :uhoh:

The real problem is that the Producers just don't know what to DO with the Villains most of the time. The Villain Teams keep getting a bigger role & stronger presence each generation, but Producers would (much) rather show Ash-tachi & friends having inconsequential misadventures that put a certain Pokémon in the spotlight :banghead:

The only "bad guys" they really want to use are the TRio...who are often more like comic relief sidekicks than actual villains :dead:

You hit the nail on the head sir. It's not like they don't have any material to work with it. It just seems like they would rather just make Ash go "Pokemon are my best buddies!!" all the time.

I mean come on! If the anime is supposed to be a commercial wouldn't it make sense to actually include as much of the storyline from the games as possible? I mean I understand the anime is an adaptation of the games but they could at least honor the games they are essentially being animated advertisement for.

I came into Best Wishes thinking that it would be the best of the series as far as villains went. With N's thoughts clashing directly with Ash's it would've made a good plot to explore over the course of the series rather than packed into one small arc. Not to mention like you said Team Aqua and Magma could have been handled way better than they were. The finale of the two could have been awesome if they brought in Rayquaza.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom