• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I think Game Freak is trying to win back the Gen 1-3 crowd?

Not everyone who dislikes a certain gen has a hidden motive. I love gen 5 and gen six is looking to be one of my favourites as well, and I still think gen 4 sucks ass.
Mind explaining why Gen IV "sucks ass"?

Probably because half the dex is legendaries and old pokemon evolutions.

If that's the case then he's probably going to hate Gen 6 as well.

Why we only have 1 old pokemon evolution right now and if the dex is bigger than gen 4 I don't mind the evolutions, lets hope this time they give evolutions for the pokemont hat actually really need them.

I've never cared too much for Gen IV. Not much because of all the old evolutions, but mostly because it was plagued with 30 FPS, and everything you did in the game felt like it took forever.

Pt/Hg/Ss remedied it a bit, but it's still extremely noticeable.

Not everyone who dislikes a certain gen has a hidden motive. I love gen 5 and gen six is looking to be one of my favourites as well, and I still think gen 4 sucks ass.

"Half the dex is legendaries", 14 out of 107 is hardly half the dex; "old Pokémon evolutions", same as Gen II and nobody ever complained about that.

"Half the dex is legendaries", 14 out of 107 is hardly half the dex; "old Pokémon evolutions", same as Gen II and nobody ever complained about that.
He meant that the old evos and the legendaries together took up half the dex. It's 43 altogether. 43 out of 107 is a lot of evolutions and legendaries. I feel that DPPt would've been better if it had more original Pokemon, like most others, but otherwise, Gen IV was pretty good.

Gen 4 was way better than gen 5 you haters can go to hell now let's get back on topic, anyone else notice how the pokemon league is locate next to the first gym town just more proof that Game freak is trying to win the old players back. 800px-Kalos.png

I don't necessarily see rehashing old ideas as trying to win old fans back.

I think their last attempt at trying to win old fans back was HGSS, but I also felt like it was meant to be a final goodbye for many.
I always wanted a Gold/Silver remake as I loved the originals and the Johto region in general. As people opposed to the idea at the time said, there wasn't any NEED for these remakes, but I think Nintendo chose to do them due to the high demand and also because they knew they were going to try and give Gen 5 a clean break with a whole new start.

I remember how GameFreak/Nintendo ran a massive advertising campaign in the UK with lots of celebrities my age talking about how they played the originals 9 or so years ago, so I think this was obviously a call to the old guard to return. They also cleared a lot of stuff up and tied up a lot of storylines and added in some nice bonuses to really get the nostalgia going (GB music item).

Since then, BW, really did feel like a different series, and I don't see how taking a few old ideas and reincorporating them will win anyone back, especially as these features won't be advertised so how do you reach out to those that have already stopped. From a personal point of view, what they've done to Mewtwo actually repulsed me a little and I did think about not getting X and Y briefly.

Gen 4 was way better than gen 5 you haters can go to hell now let's get back on topic, anyone else notice how the pokemon league is locate next to the first gym town just more proof that Game freak is trying to win the old players back.View attachment 88619

Who says that? We haven't been told where the Pokémon League will be located, that place is only your guess, and actually, most people think it's the northernmost area.

In the case that was indeed the Pokémon League, I don't think that's a groundbreaking feature that shaped gameplay in Gen I, so that's not something that would bring players back. I've seen nostagic people longing for Gen I features, but the PL placing is definitely not one.

I've never played any of the Gen IV or V games, but many have said they're not as good. So, with that, I am getting the new Gen VI games,

Gen IV and V were good games. As a matter of fact the same people who said they were bad are now saying Gen VI will suck, This is why you never let the opinions of other people effect your view of a game, especially if you've never even tried the game for yourself.

I gotta disagree to a point. IMO DP sucked, Pt was okay and sucked less, HGSS were great, BW were great at first but not as good looking back and then BW2 were great. I think XY look fantastic so far. Overall, DP were the worst mainseries pokemon games I've ever played. BW were a decent bit better, but in some ways, I think BW is the level of quality that we should've already had in gen IV. I'm glad XY seems to be catching up some in quality, unlike gens IV and V. I played them all and they were okay, but those two gens were not nearly as good as they could have been. So I'm not one of those people exactly. I say gens IV and V were lacking because they were lacking.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I played the hell out of every gen IV and gen V game. I did enjoy them. But they were definitely lacking, especially for their time. Gen III was a sweet spot qualitywise and timewise and I feel like Gen VI will be pretty similar.

Last edited:
Very few of the Gen 1-3 crowd is coming back for Pokemon XY. Especially the ones who really only liked the first two generations.

Why? They were on the Pokemon-fad bandwagon. You know that period where you couldn't go anywhere without seeing something Pokemon related. The funny thing about fads are that they blow up really quickly and then fade just as fast. Those who were teens during those days grew out of it when and the younger ones just found another thing to latch on to. You also have to considered that in America at least, a lot of kids got their first taste of Pokemon through the anime. Their main connection to the series was from the show. So when the show started to lose their interest, their interest in Pokemon as a whole decreased. I know many of my friends who got out of Pokemon back during Johto not even really knowing much about the games, only the show.

As someone who grew up with the series since Gen 1 (although I didn't play the main series games until Gen 3), I know that I'm in the minority of people who stuck with it over all the generations. I know GameFreak is aware that people like me exist. But I also realize and accept that I'm not their main target. As I approach my 20s my overall involvement with Pokemon will decrease because I have to focus on being a independent tax-paying citizen. GameFreak realizes that those in my generation who are still into Pokemon are growing up and aren't going to rush out to buy everything Pokemon like we did when were little.

That's why things that are call backs to the first generations are just them saying "Hey, we appreciate you guys sticking with us. We know you're here. We want you to stick with us as long as possible so we'll remind you of what it was like to play Pokemon when you were little"

In reality it's less "Let's win back our lost older fans" and more like "Let's keep the older fans we still have for as long as possible"

I think you're all a bit misguided thinking they really care too much at all about older fans. There may be some things that see more use among older fans such as EV/IV just from us knowing the inner working of the games better, but even that isn't them catering to us. We're outside their target demo. They know we exist, but they aren't making a game that is at all specifically for older fans.

It's the same thing with remakes. Older fans think it's for them so they can relive those older generations and get nostalgic. It's not, it's so people who weren't alive when those games came out can know what's up if there are ever references to those past generations.

I think you're all a bit misguided thinking they really care too much at all about older fans. There may be some things that see more use among older fans such as EV/IV just from us knowing the inner working of the games better, but even that isn't them catering to us. We're outside their target demo. They know we exist, but they aren't making a game that is at all specifically for older fans.

It's the same thing with remakes. Older fans think it's for them so they can relive those older generations and get nostalgic. It's not, it's so people who weren't alive when those games came out can know what's up if there are ever references to those past generations.

I don't believe even that was the reason for remakes. As I'm aware of things, the only reason GameFreak created remakes was because of the prohibition of transferring Pokemon from Generation II to Generation III. They needed to bring back all the Pokemon that were now unavailable due to not being able to transfer Pokemon, so they remade the first two Generations to make it easily possible.

I agree with you that GameFreak's goals do not include bringing back older fans. The last time I checked, their sole target audience are for children. That's how it has always been and that's how it will always be. GameFreak knows that people are always going to leave the Pokemon world as new fans also start entering the world of Pokemon. Why should GameFreak bother trying to get back all their past fans when they already know how this works? It's the same for anything else.

No matter what GameFreak do, people are going to leave Pokemon behind as others join, which is why it is easiest and the smartest way to continue keeping the target audience how it is.

I don't believe even that was the reason for remakes. As I'm aware of things, the only reason GameFreak created remakes was because of the prohibition of transferring Pokemon from Generation II to Generation III. They needed to bring back all the Pokemon that were now unavailable due to not being able to transfer Pokemon, so they remade the first two Generations to make it easily possible.

If they wanted to they could have just put those old Pokemon in Hoenn from the get-go, since they were already fully programmed into the game.

It was obviously a purposeful choice done for more reasons than that, the main reason probably being, well, it was a great way to make some more money. The Pokemon fan-base is the only fan base I know where people act shocked by remakes and try to justify/argue against them using various logical reasons, when the simplest answer is money. That's why there's like 15+ versions of Final Fantasy IV out there. You don't need a reason to justify a remake, especially with a series as well-known as Pokemon that's proven to sell quite well.

If they wanted to they could have just put those old Pokemon in Hoenn from the get-go, since they were already fully programmed into the game.

It was obviously a purposeful choice done for more reasons than that, the main reason probably being, well, it was a great way to make some more money. The Pokemon fan-base is the only fan base I know where people act shocked by remakes and try to justify/argue against them using various logical reasons, when the simplest answer is money. That's why there's like 15+ versions of Final Fantasy IV out there. You don't need a reason to justify a remake, especially with a series as well-known as Pokemon that's proven to sell quite well.

I sincerely doubt they would have put the entire three generations worth of Pokemon into a single game. They have never made a main series title where every Pokemon in that region alone were catchable, so I doubt GameFreak would have put every Pokemon from Generation I AND Generation II into one Pokemon title. Even splitting them up and putting half in one and half in the other (or a third in each, including Emerald) would have been a lot of Pokemon. What would have been a great way to have all Pokemon available again without putting every previous Pokemon into Hoenn? By re-introducing the regions the Pokemon were first introduced and left in to begin with.

Profit is obviously the main point in most companies, therefore I felt no need to bring that up.

If they were they wouldn't make the fairy type. The fairy type is ALL change. No convenience to the player. No creativity from the developers. Just change and nothing but. I loath the fairy it is incredibly poor design choice and I loved Gen 5 more than any generation before.

Do I think Gamefreak is trying to win the older gen fans back? I think it's just an added bounus, but to say that they don't care about their older fan base is just foolish. Any gameing company cares about any and all fans regardless of their target audience and always appreciate long time fans. And for all the stop they pulled for X&Y, like the 3D, the charaxter modification, riding pokemon, heck! Being able to FINALLY SIT ON BENCHED INSTEAD OF WALKING INTO THEM! Lol! You can't even begin to understand how awesome that is until you've played as long as I have! (Since SGC II gen) and in fact, the way they bring the pokemon world, in a way, closer to you with pokemon-amie, give you more challenge with hoard and sky battles, any die hard poke fan would kill for this game. This is the game that kept me from giving up on pokemon completely. It brought me back and I know it will bring others back too. And I'm sure gamefreak knew it might.

This guy makes some good points, game freak needs to try harder to make x and y appeal to genwunners in order to save the series because after that train that is black and white sales are going down fast.

[video=youtube;q7LOdCVSdV8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7LOdCVSdV8[/video]

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom