• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

I don't really feel that's the case, considering Pokémon that aren't a part of evolution families, like Mawile and Absol, have Mega Evolutions.

I meant it's alternate for Pokemon who already have normal evolutions. So (I guess it's with the Mega Stone), without the stone, Absol and Mawile would not evolve, but with it, they can Mega Evolve.

Without the stone, Flaffy would just become Ampharos, but with the stone, it'd be MegaAmparos. Something like that, I'm thinking.

I'm not a fan. The concept is nice, but it already feels overdone and will undoubtedly be thrust upon us until release, and even then afterwards. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate change, but this gives me an odd, unwelcoming feeling; the franchise is different and I feel different about it. Whether that feeling is a good different or a bad different is yet to be determined. I still have to see gameplay and hear a more detailed description of the new mechanic before I form my full opinion.

But for the moment I am very, very reserved.

I knew if we just waited long enough the PokéGods would eventually make a come-back.

I don't really feel that's the case, considering Pokémon that aren't a part of evolution families, like Mawile and Absol, have Mega Evolutions.

I meant it's alternate for Pokemon who already have normal evolutions. So (I guess it's with the Mega Stone), without the stone, Absol and Mawile would not evolve, but with it, they can Mega Evolve.

Without the stone, Flaffy would just become Ampharos, but with the stone, it'd be MegaAmparos. Something like that, I'm thinking.
Possible, but I think Mega Evolutions will be quite different from normal evolutions, despite the name. The talk about Mega Evolutions being something that happens during battle reinforces my thoughts. I'm awaiting the specifics, but so far, it seems like it's something that can make Pokémon battles much more dynamic.

The Mega Evolutions are not permanent and are only activated in battle. I assume that the pokemon-exclusive stones must be held for a pokemon to mega evolve during battle (almost like Giratina needing the Griseous Orb to become Origin Forme). If the pokemon loses the item, it reverts into its standard form.

ASDFG Blaziken, my most favourite Pokémon ever gets a power-up. So freaking cool! I like the concept, although I do agree with people saying some old Pokémon should've gained a normal evolution first. Their designs are amazing, I am only not too keen on the new Ampharos, which just gains hair on its head and its tails, while the others look very different to their original designs.

I am really loving the idea of mega evolutions, since it is apparently reversible. Not to mention that all revealed mega forms, except for Absol's, look really good. Now I am just hoping that all previous starter get mega forms as well and not only Blaziken or in the worst scenario, at least all Hoenn AND Kalos starters should be able to mega evolve.

What bothers me is that I'm guessing we're set with the pokemon getting mega forms not getting evolutions in the future. Design-wise, I definitely like Mawile's the best, because it's the most differentiated.

This is the only thing that bothers me, too. I guess all new evolutions going forward will be Mega, unless of course every family gets a Mega Evolution in XY, which I wouldn't put it past GF since they're putting tons of work into this game.

So basically what you're suggesting is that the Mega Stone overclocks your Pokemon and temporarily evolves it to the next stage in battle, but if it's at its final stage it exceeds limitations and becomes Mega? That could work, but it would be wonky with split EVOS - for instance, if I Overclock my Eevee what does it become? Mega Eevee or one of the 8 normal Eeveelutions? And which one? Is it random?

Meh, not sure how I feel about this. I feel like this is another "fancy" way of making new forms for old Pokemon. I'm interested to know exactly how they effect battling. I do enjoy the big changes that they're making with Generation VI. It will force both old and new players to learn and experiment with the new features and offer a new experience for just about everyone.

Wow, mega-evolution, sound like GF just sneak it off from ultimate evolution of Puzzle and Dragon.

From my understanding, I'm almost certain it works like the Grisious Orb, where an Ampharos holding it in battle slides into the mega evolution. These things aren't set evolutions.

The Blaziken item is the only thing that seems to confound that assumption.

From my understanding, I'm almost certain it works like the Grisious Orb, where an Ampharos holding it in battle slides into the mega evolution. These things aren't set evolutions.

Well, that's kinda lame if they aren't permanent, but then the question really is, "What up with that Blaziken item?"

My current thought is that it requires a hold item and another condition needs to be fulfilled during battle for it to happen. Not sure what the condition would be though.

Is the name really mega evolution? Some places refers to it as "mega form" and well, if it isn't permanent, the name form works better than evolution.

Is the name really mega evolution? Some places refers to it as "mega form" and well, if it isn't permanent, the name form works better than evolution.
It's called "Mega Shinka", "shinka" being the term used for "evolution" in Japanese.

Not just old Pokemon never getting new permanent evolutions, like Mawile and Absol, but Generation 6 Pokemon being left out since they're so new has me worried.

I'm of two minds on the matter:

Either Mega Evolutions MUST be game-changing, and I will hate them.... or, they will just be slightly new ways to battle; in which case I will say "why bother?" I don't really have many positives to say.

I really dislike this, first thing I did when I heard about it was looking for confirmation that this was fake, sadly it wasn't. I just don't get the point to them, I hate their designs and from their abilities they all seem overpowered. From all the new things game freak has introduced so far this is the only one I really hate.

I just hope Game Freak don't go OTT with this. As in, we can't make an entire team of mega-evolutions and breeze through the game with them.

As long as decent limiters are put in place to make sure this doesn't go completely amok, then I'm all for it. Maybe make it so that we only get one Mega Stone per save file? Idk. Just something so this idea doesn't get totally abused.

Having said all that...we don't even fully know the capabilities of these mega evolutions yet, so we need to wait and see.

I just hope Game Freak don't go OTT with this. As in, we can't make an entire team of mega-evolutions and breeze through the game with them.

As long as decent limiters are put in place to make sure this doesn't go completely amok, then I'm all for it. Maybe make it so that we only get one Mega Stone per save file? Idk. Just something so this idea doesn't get totally abused.

Having said all that...we don't even fully know the capabilities of these mega evolutions yet, so we need to wait and see.

Depending on stats, not being able to use Hold Items might be enough to balance them for competitive play. I don't doubt that Mega Stones will be rare, either. Probably not limited to 1 per file, but you might only get one and then have to purchase others at the XY Battle Frontier or something.

I'm suspecting access to this will be very limited late in the game, and then open up post game. It's probably related to the plot because it seems obvious they'd incorporate DNA into it (we did see the DNA symbol behind MegaMewtwo in that video). That means it's not something you'll just be able to pick up and breeze through the game with that. There's probably some in game condition you have to meet so you can't just trade over the Mega Rock and attach it to a final stage Butterfree early on and sweep everything.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom