• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 EP28: Cilan and the Case of the Purrloin Witness!

Alright, coming off of two Team Rocket themed episodes, I was really relieved to see that this one didn't include them. But…it honestly wasn't that much better than the last two episodes.

HELLO? 10,000 Porters? Was that really necessary? Not that it’s a problem…but…just why? 10,000 Dons seemed more believable than 10,000 boat dudes.

Oh joy! Another Purrloin episode. Well, they wouldn't just do this for nothing. Surely we’re gonna find out more about Cilan’s fear of Purrloin, right?

Soooo…this lady just show her gems to any random kids she sees?

Alright, this dude’s just a bit too serious about these gems. And then Watchog just slammed the door. In his face. Watchog is real.

Oh yeah, I got off topic and didn't mention the tournament. I’m anticipating this to somehow manage to irk me.

Ok, Iris’s fear of Vanillite, AGAIN! Check.

Meanwhile, Cilan sees Purrloin minding its own business. Are we gonna talk about this fear of Purrloin, or just pretend like we know why?

Ok, so Iris loses. And Ash wants to win for Iris’s sake. And WHY is that? (Don’t say Negaishipping!) It’s not like this is some super important tournament that Iris really wanted to win or anything. This was something they literally had just heard about and entered for funzies. I don’t understand (maybe it really is just for some Negaishipping. =.=") We don’t even see Pikachu’s match….irk….

Anyway…dude who just one-shots everything with Vanillite. Check.

Meanwhile, again, why is it that when Ms. Ripple’s gem turns up missing, she faints? She didn’t say anything about seeing the dude, who was prime suspect, RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER who could have possibly had the gem on him. No, she just faints. I’ll ignore how annoying I find this because the Purrloin is hella cute when it scratches Teaque’s face .

Why is the lady in a whole frickin’ bed like she’s sick or something? She just passed out for almost no reason whatsoever.

Is anyone else confused as to why these cops are letting some random kids take part in this investigation? And why did Cilan smell the wet floor? =~= That’s not something…that I would think is a good idea…

Ok, so the cops are useless, all the Pokémon sound like Iris, we still have zero idea on why Cilan dislikes Purrloin, who was NOT so eager to help. It barely got the kind of spotlight a normal Pokémon-of-the-Day gets. So why it’s getting so much praise at the end of the episode, I have no idea.

…I mean, it’s not like this episode was terrible, but…it just wasn't interesting to me. It also managed to irk me in that it was another episode with a useless random tournament (on a boat, no less) that we barely even get to see and another of Cilan’s Detective Time episodes. I’ll give it a 3/10.

Last edited:
So it’s another detective episode. Cilan has to find a gem thief. And there’s a Purrloin in it. This might be interesting. Oh, and it also seems that there are a bunch of identical biologically related Porters. How original.

Ms. Ripple has a gem and some dude wants it. Also Ms. Ripple’s Purrloin seems to be upset.

Anyway, there’s also a battle tournament. I was so glad when Iris got knocked out easily in the first round. Makes up for that Junior Cup performance. Ash finally gets to win a tournament. The one with pretty much no importance and took up about 5 minutes of the episode. Not to mention that Ash only used Pikachu. And I’m pretty sure Porter said there was a prize for winning, yet Ash got nothing.

Moving on, Purrloin attacks Teaque. The gem has been stolen and Cilan wants to find it. Long story short, after an investigation we found out that Teaque stole the gem. Big surprise.

This episode just felt like a crappy Scooby Doo scenario. It was predictable and quite boring. And the biggest disappointment? We don’t even get to hear why Cilan hates Purrloin! What the hell?! Cilan’s cream was hilarious and we at least got a break from Oshawott and Team Rocket. 4/10.

I was kinda looking forward to this episode, but I shouldn't have, as watching it a second time kinda changed my opinion on this. This episode is nothing special. Not an episode I would watch again or anything, and certainly not extremely entertaining, but better than last week's episode imo. Yeah, the whole plot with the case and stuff had a really predictable outcome, but this is a show aimed at children after all. I hate they threw in some random tournament, it was part of the plot, but they could've done something different instead. Cilan's mysterious hate for Purrloin is funny, I don't even mind that the origin of this hate isn't revealed.

What I really hate: Porter's voice actor keeps delivering these emotionless, robotic lines. He sounds so monotone to me at times.

At least it didn't have Team Rocket.

All in all 5/10.

:yawn:

Praise: Well, I liked Cilan, and I liked Jason Griffith's work today. Um...kind of an interesting plot, actually, but wasn't executed that well. I much prefer his first detective case to this one. That was hilarious! XD.

No Team Rocket? Awesome! I'm sorry, but I'm just SO sick of them at this point. I love them, but come on, they're so boring these days.

Complaints: Porter's voice actor sounds emotionless: like he's just reading the lines off his script. It's actually pretty funny to hear him sound so bored out of his mind, but come on man, put some emotion into that guy. I know, he's not all that important of a character anyway, but I think his voice actor can do better than that.

I'll give it a 6/10.

Last edited:
The CotD in the Japanese version all have water-related names; Ripple, Shoal (Mr. Shaw), Tide (Teaque) and Current (Tedesco). I'm guessing Teaque and Tedesco have some meaning, but I dunno 'em.

As satisfying as it was seeing Axew get taken out in one hit, isn't it supposed to be stronger than that? I thought Cilan's reason for not wanting to be in the tournament was odd, but then more time would have to be spent on the tournament showing him battling and losing. Ash's battle with Tide initally looked promising, but then Pikachu won with one Iron Tail, so scratch that. Since the tournament is secondary to the mystery, I guess that was to be expected.

@Sakuraa In the Japanese version, Porter says that after the tournament they can go see Ripple's jewels. Dunno if the dub changed that.

Thanks to a random facebook post, I can't un-see Johnny Depp in Tide's disguise, so that's amusing.

Oh yeah, the mystery. Same old same old, I guess.

It does seem like Poke-Earth has a thing for cloning. Joy, Jenny, Don George, and now Porter. Not to mention Ivy's assistants. And the Ash look-alikes. What is this, Benzar? (Star Trek reference, BTW.) Or maybe Kamino?

I was literally bracing myself for the appearance of Sherlock Cilan. That said, the look on Iris' face was priceless.

So only Cilan noticed the wet spot on the floor and knew what it meant? Are there no forensic technicians in Poke-Earth? Maybe they could borrow Abby from NCIS. And too bad the cop at the end couldn't have been Looker instead of some anonymous guy we've never seen before and will never see again.

Ash finally wins a tourney in BW, and most of it occurs offscreen. And against a guy who was only in it as part of his evil plan. Why couldn't Ash have won something back in Unova?

I think that was an episode that's not so easy to review. While the story revolving around the theft was really well done with all its twists and turns, the Marine Cup Tournament was rather disappointing.

So let's start with the tournament: Most of it happened off-screen which always makes me upset because what's the point of having a battle tournament that we only get to see short parts of? Pokemon is all about battling, so an episode where an tournament is announced but not really shown is like, say, a cheesecake without cheese...
Also, how come Axew was finished off so quickly? Regardless of how weak it is to Ice-type attacks, it remains a fact that he had already proven himself to have much more stamina in the past.
And last but not least, I kind of find it frustrating that after about 15 years the writers, or rather the characters, have obviously still not found a way to deal with Double Team effectively. EVERY time that move is used, it's the same scenario and that's getting boring slowly but surely.

On the other hand, we had a detective story that was actually written pretty cleverly. First, that crazy gem collector who just acted as decoy because everybody would of course expect him to be the thief. Second, Teaque who was suspicious but you couldn't say until the very end if he had stolen the gem himself or if he was just somebody else's helper.
Third, that highly suspicious guy with the dark sunglasses who most of us have probably suspected of being some kind of bad guy, too, but who turned out to be a special agent. And last but not least, there was Purrloin who could also have stolen the gem because it acted so crazy at first, you could think it was jealous (maybe the gem reminded him of his evolution Liepard that, for some reason, he doesn't like) To sum up: A plot with great potential, lots of different possible scenarios and nice twists and turns.

I first though Purrloin didn't like the gem since the gem looked like its eye. Look at the gem again and tell me that doesn't look like Purrloin's eyes.

It seems the Pokemon World loves cloning! I wonder how the genetics would work...

I loved it when Cilan's VA's voice cracked when he was screaming after holding Purrloin.

I don't get how Cilan finds a wet spot on the floor and then smells it. Who does that? And how would he known what had happened when water is odorless?

Woopee... Ash wins a 16 person tournament. Why couldn't Ash get further into the Unova League? And how did Axew get knocked out like that? I know it's more powerful than that.

I don't get how Cilan finds a wet spot on the floor and then smells it. Who does that? And how would he known what had happened when water is odorless?
Maybe Pokemon water has a specific scent.

Also, am I the only one that thought that Tedesco was Looker with a hair out of place when he had his shades on?

YAY, it was about time we got another Cilan-centered episode! And I don't get why you guys hated it, I loved it! And not just because I'm a Cilan fangirl either, though that IS part of it. :p

I'm a mystery fan as well and I couldn't help but cheer Cilan on the whole time and think of how awesome and clever he was! Water does have a scent, you know. That's why he smelled it. And he was hilarious around that Purrloin too. XD

And I don't mind at all that even though he finally told Ash and Iris why he's afraid of them, we still don't know ourselves. It allows us to keep imagining it for ourselves and it also fits nicely with the Cilan oneshot I wrote on the subject. I had ended it saying that Cilan might one day finally get the courage to tell the guys, and he does in this episode. Yet, the entire story is still quite possible, especially considering Ash's and Iris's reaction. It sounds like something really awful had happened to poor Cilan.

The only problem I had with this episode was that Porter sounded robotic at times as others have pointed out. Yeah, I've seen way better voice acting.

Honestly, this was probably one of the better Detective Cilan mysteries. But I think the episode would have been better without Tadesco. It looked like they were going to do something with him as a red herring, but he only had two scenes before his big reveal, and he didn't even interact with Cilan until then. It would have been cool to have some false leads go to him. I guess there just wasn't enough time, sadly.

I think the point of Tadesco was to make the viewer think the culprit was going to be him partnered with Teaque. I certainly thought so at first. lol

Yeah, that's what they seemed to be going for, a red herring. But they never did anything with it. And you could have just removed him from the story and replaced him with an Officer Jenny at the end, for all the good it did.

Thanks to a random facebook post, I can't un-see Johnny Depp in Tide's disguise, so that's amusing.

Now that you've pointed it out, I can't unsee it, either! :lol:

The parts where Cilan encounters Mrs. Ripple's Purrlion were so cute and funny. I especially liked when it landed in his arms. I wonder if we'll ever find out why Cilan is afraid of Purrloin? Regardless, Cilan looks so cute in that hat.

I liked how the tournament scenes tied into the mystery and the rest of the episode. I almost felt bad for Iris when she lost the tournament in her first match. Almost.

It was a nice twist to have Teak (name?) turn out to be the thief. Am I the only one who thought Purrloin stole the Eye of Liepard (since it seemed unhappy about the gem earlier in the episode)? I was also expecting the agent who showed up to arrest Teak to be Looker in disguise, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not that he wasn't.

Pretty well-written mystery story for a Pokemon episode, especially with the several suspects we were introduced to and the possibility (not raised by the characters, but still presented to the audience) of more than one working together.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom