• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Poke Transporter (Transfering Pokemon From Previous Gens)

The plan is to have the service for future generations too.

I'm not confident they'll be able to do this, especially when we move to new handhelds. We already have problems this gen with DS and 3DS games communicating, what if Bank is not compatible with the next handheld? And how will you handle future game generations, where you have more compatibility issues as far as which Pokemon can and cannot be transferred back to an earlier generation.

You can quit the subscription, right?

Presumably, but it's unclear what will happen if you don't renew.

You can quit the subscription, right?
I'm sure they'll make it as difficult as possible.
im sure it will be simple enough, if needed.

the simplest way to do this to keep people from mob-mentalitying-them would be to have it simply when the year is up have a popup or something that asks 'would you like ot renew etc etc' and if you agree deduct the 5 bucks from your e-store bank.

if 5/year is a hardship, maybe a 40-dollar game isnt for you, or a 200+ dollar game system. i think people are blowing this whole thing out of proportion about the 'omg 5 dollars, slippery slope, world is ending, they are going to scalp us for profit because they are really evil etcetc.

i think people are blowing this whole thing out of proportion about the 'omg 5 dollars, slippery slope, world is ending, they are going to scalp us for profit because they are really evil etcetc.
It's true, at least Game Freak isn't making us pay money for pre-programmed material (like the way I hear the recent PMD did) or is making us pay for pallet swaps. Judging from the interview, they actually went and thought "hey! let's make this nice service for everyone....but hey people were upset when we eventually had to retire PGL, we can't do that when there are actually Pokemon involved! Fine service charge."

Which brings me to my next point. We had things like PGL and Dream World for free.

I wouldn't mind if the subscription was paid for by simply deducting $5 from your eShop account each time payment date comes around. That'd be fine with me. Just a nice little notification asking if you want to pay $5 out of your eShop balance to pay for Pokemon Bank would be great. And if you don't have payment on time, it just suspends full usage of the service until you pay, at which point everything's perfectly fine and normal.

I'm a bit concerned about what happens to your Pokemon if you don't pay...

I'm a bit concerned about what happens to your Pokemon if you don't pay...

The pokemons will be stored in until you pay. By downloading, you're opening a pokemon bank account, so you have your account, the fee is like a credit card you use. Real life banks requure you to renew your credit card every few years. If you don't, you can't use your credit card, but your money still stays in the bank. It'll probably be the same

if 5/year is a hardship, maybe a 40-dollar game isnt for you, or a 200+ dollar game system. i think people are blowing this whole thing out of proportion about the 'omg 5 dollars, slippery slope, world is ending, they are going to scalp us for profit because they are really evil etcetc.

When they start taking features out of the main game, no it's not being blown out of proportion. The games lose value that way because you're getting less content for the same amount of money.

When they start taking features out of the main game, no it's not being blown out of proportion. The games lose value that way because you're getting less content for the same amount of money.

Right, a system that exists to transfer Pokemon to all future games regardless of game pak and store 3000 of them were taken out of XY.

That's like saying the Link Cable was "taken out of Red and Blue" and Pokemon Box was "Taken out of Ruby and Sapphire".

when was a 3000 pokemon storage box that also allows transfer between generations in the game itself? plus from what i heard theres a free 'transfer app' separate from the box, if thats all you wanted to use it for. plus the free trial period, which should be more than enough time

I don't see how they've removed anything from the game when the PC is still there in-game.

But if by 'feature' you mean the cross-gen transfer capability, then yes, they took it from the main game and replaced it with a much sturdier and more capable system which can be updated and tweaked to suit the needs of future games & generations.

It also saves Game Freak having to invent some rather tiresome transfer system each generation. Pal Park from Gen IV was fun for a while, but the Poke Transfer system from Gen V was flat out annoying.

Also, the '6 Pokemon per go' limit has been removed as well. I believe that was limited to once per day as well, if I remember correctly. From the Pokemon Direct, you could see whole boxes of Pokemon were being moved at once.

They're NOT "taking features out" of XY. The Bank is in addition to the regular in-game PC storage, like the GTS in Gen IV and Dream World in Gen V.

The PC will still be in-game though. I'm just thrilled it's only $5! They could have doubled or tripled the price and made more money.

Last edited:
plus from what i heard theres a free 'transfer app' separate from the box, if thats all you wanted to use it for. plus the free trial period, which should be more than enough time

You seem to not understand how this works. Poke Transporter is free, correct, but it only works if you have Bank. All Transporter does is take them from 5th gen and dump them in the Bank. So you're still required to pay if all you want is to transfer Pokemon, which is a ripoff.

As for the free trial, that's not good enough and I won't be able to make much use of it.

But if by 'feature' you mean the cross-gen transfer capability, then yes, they took it from the main game and replaced it with a much sturdier and more capable system which can be updated and tweaked to suit the needs of future games & generations.

So? I'd rather have a free system with all of its clunkiness than to be forced to pay for something that runs smoother. The fact that there is no free option for this is the entire problem for this.

They're NOT "taking features out" of XY. The Bank is in addition to the regular in-game PC storage, like the GTS in Gen IV and Dream World in Gen V.

I'm not complaining about the Bank not being free, I agree that the cost of that is reasonable. I'm saying that the transfer process should be free, and not be required to use the Bank to work.

It is worrying that a previously free feature (transfering your Pokemon from 1 gen to another) is now going to be free no longer and require you to pay. Yes you might not miss $5 a year (bet it's £5 in the UK which is a lot more than $5) but then what about when they top it up to 10, then 15, then 20.

That's what a slippery slope is, the increase is gradual so that people on here will always be like oh its only a small increase, oh you get this now as well etc, but at the end of the day, its costing more and more. Then when the next feature requires payment, they will say, well you already pay for Pokemon Bank, an extra $5 to do whatever isn't that much different etc etc.

The only other option would be NO way to transfer at all or for them to waste dev time creating a way for the DS and 3DS games to talk to each other (if that is possible at all). The bank is apparently a solution to existing compatibility problems. They decided to nip that problem at the bud and introduce something that will work for all generations to come so they don't have to waste dev time figuring out cross platform/generational transferring. What this is, is a long term solution to avoid something like Gen 3 happening again, you are demanding a free short term solution, which is a waste of their dev time because they will have to come up with a new one for each game/system, instead of just tweaking an existing one in the clouds that doesn't have to worry about cross console compatibility.

Most people would rather have a good secure, stable way to store their beloved pokemon that next to guarantees that their data won't be lost. At 5 dollars a YEAR that is a STEAL, data protection and recovery is an extremely expensive thing.

This was a decision they made with the future in mind, rather than the immediate present, and I think they made a wise decision even despite knowing there would be a bit of an outcry because of i t. Better to tackle the issue now before it becomes too big than to wait until it's a giant elephant in the room.

Back
Top Bottom