• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

out of the three starter evos, i do like haribogu's design the most. still hoping for it to be a grass/rock-type, considering it's a chestnut 'n' all, although (thank god) i don't see it becoming grass/dark in any way. grass/ground would be all right, even though we've already had one, but rock as a secondary type is still what i'm holding out for. teruna was a bit weird, but looks all right. it's definitely becoming the next gardevoir, anyway. it looks like a later-stage evo compared to the other two revealed evolutions, though -- not very much like what i'd imagine a middle-stage would've looked like. hopefully it doesn't become an overadorned mess of a final stage. not keen on froakie's evolution at all -- dunno how to say why particularly; it just looks wrong.

sooo, chespin remains my favourite starter. definitely choosing him <3

The evolutions for the starters are horrible, each one is completely ugly and totally butchered. I was hoping that they would have had something awesome from Gamefreak. I had hopes for Fennekin and the water one but not now.

I was gonna pick up chespin till I saw it's derptastic evo. But part of me want's to reserve judgement sense the first evo of starters always looks horrible (cept for dewott but im not a big fan of samurott). I'm really hoping the dex leaks a few days before x and y so I can see the final evos and make my decision then. If not then I think I'm gonna box my starter till I see if it is wort it to raise it or not.

if fennekin ends up being fire/psychic and froakie being water/fighting then chespin being grass/dark would make everyone super efective against everyone, but if it gets ground or rock that won't happen

So why does Fennekin have a stick up its asstail?

What if these attacks are indicative of their eventual types? Chespin becomes part ground, Fennekin part psychic? And Froakie becomes part flying....though bounce really isn't out of the ordinary for a frog.

So why does Fennekin have a stick up its asstail?
It'll use it as a kendo stick once it picks up a secondary fighting type upon evolution.

Based on a witch, the tail is a broomstick

Fennekin becomes part fairy because magical powers.

*insert GF trollface here*

if fennekin ends up being fire/psychic and froakie being water/fighting then chespin being grass/dark would make everyone super efective against everyone, but if it gets ground or rock that won't happen

Nope, Rock is weak to Fighting and supereffective against Fire.

Actually, Froakie getting Water/Dark makes sense because ninja's are more like assassins operating in the dark... or maybe that's just me. And Chespin getting Grass/Fighting could work depending on the final stage. Fennekin ending up as Fire/Psychic would make it complete.

I just realized that we have not only their final evos to look forward, but also their likely mega evolutions as well. So nothing is set in stone yet.

I have absolutely no complaints about the first-stage Starter evolutions. I think that they're all very fitting for each's theme, and as long as GameFreak doesn't throw us any fast curveballs then the final stages will look phenomenal. And keep in mind that with the final stages we should also receive Megalutions, so in essence there will be two new evolutions for each starter. But Reila just beat me to the punch.

I love the Froakie evo. I knew he was something special. I am so pumped for the stage 2 starter evos.

I still like Fennekin the best. I'm pretty curious how the stick will affect its evolution. Maybe it becomes a witch? I don't see it only as feminine, I can't seriously understand people that see Pokémon only as one gender LOL.
Now that I looked into Chespin evo more, it's kinda adorable, chesnut shape is kept. And Froakie's evo looks pretty cool too!

Based on Gekogashira's design I'm assuming its evo won't become big like Seismitoad, which I like.

I like that stick coming out of Teerunaa. It makes it more mysterious. Is it a broomstick, a wand, or something else? It makes me look forward to its evolution rather than if it didn't have the stick.

I still like Fennekin the best. I'm pretty curious how the stick will affect its evolution. Maybe it becomes a witch? I don't see it only as feminine, I can't seriously understand people that see Pokémon only as one gender LOL.
Now that I looked into Chespin evo more, it's kinda adorable, chesnut shape is kept. And Froakie's evo looks pretty cool too!

Well the rumors did say that Fennekin's evolution is based off of a witch. And this evolution, solidified fennekin as my favorite starter of the gen 6 and 5.

yes i know that, i'll try to explain better

first case (psychic-fighting-dark):

fennekin: fire beats grass, psychic beats fighting --> super effective against the other two
froakie: water beats fire, fighting beats dark --> super effective against the other two
chespin: grass beats water, dark beats psychic --> super effective against the other two

second case (psychic-fighting-rock or ground)

fennekin: fire does normal damage to grass/rock --> no longer super effective on chespin

yes i know that, i'll try to explain better

first case (psychic-fighting-dark):

fennekin: fire beats grass, psychic beats fighting --> super effective against the other two
froakie: water beats fire, fighting beats dark --> super effective against the other two
chespin: grass beats water, dark beats psychic --> super effective against the other two

second case (psychic-fighting-rock or ground)

fennekin: fire does normal damage to grass/rock --> no longer super effective on chespin

Ground would still work though, it doesn't resist fire.

Edit: nvm, just realized Froakie wouldn't hit Chespin SE then.

Based on Gekogashira's design I'm assuming its evo won't become big like Seismitoad, which I like.

Same here. I'm not really a fan of Seismitoad, too fat and ugly, whereas Froakie's line is hitting all the right spots for me - sleek and cool. I like that we might finally be getting a fast Water starter too.

I can't wait to see the models in the game (and trailer). I mean it's ok for me to base my opinion from the Sugimori art, but that's not what we'll be looking at when in battle, so the upcoming video will be great to see how the three of these look in game.

Teerunaa is bipedal Fire/Fighting confirmed very interesting with that stick. I didn't notice until now the tail makes it a broom even.

I hope the final form looks even more of a witch, right now it's being one of my favourite designs (which is quite something for a second stage). It's too bad the Pokébeach rumors may be true and the final design somewhat hindered by it being that PFD trio instead of Fairy as would suit a witch better, but oh well.

For Hariboogu... while it won't stay as a ball, considering rollout I think it'll still keep that curling up and rolling theme going on even in its preassumbly bulky final form.

Froakie's evolution... I guess a speedy water starter is an interesting sight, as so far they've been rather slow.

why must fenniken stage 2 stand

but anyone using that fur dog because you can customize it?

I was thinking about a monotype (Fire) team because of event Torchic, Charmander and my favourite was Fennekin. But Froakie's evo looks awesome and it's now my choice.

About Chespin's evo, I dislike it, however all of you remember this evolves into this, so I don't discard Chespin at all.

Back
Top Bottom