• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 EP33: Butterfree and Me!

I really liked this episode. It was really cute to see Ash bonding with the Caterpie and taking such measures for it to evolve. Caterpie itself was adorable, but the constant falling asleep got annoying really quickly. I also loved the flashback to the original Caterpie. Too bad he didn’t have an animated flashback like Charizard had.

Okay Team Rocket just shows up randomly in the middle of the episode and apparently have been stalking Ash on this island for weeks. And all they want is Pikachu. Not any of the many migrating Pokemon that can be found all over the island. Just Pikachu. Ugh. Well at least they’re being serious.

Now the one part that I didn’t like in this episode was the scene after climbing the mountain with Metapod. Cilan: “That was tough.” Iris: You’re joking right? Seriously, I can’t stand this girl.

As expected Team Rocket tries to steal Pikachu and fails, but Amoongus jumping on Ash’s head to knock him down was hilarious!

I really think Ash’s crying at the end was a bit much, though. He didn’t cry when he had to leave some of his other Pokemon that he actually owned and had known for a much longer time period. But besides that this was a great episode overall, and the first DA episode that I’ve liked in a while. 8/10.

Alright, so this episode is starting off nice and peaceful. Until Ash starts looking up Swanna. It was going good so far.

And what’s with the early commercial break? You know I can’t really blame them for using the Episode N opening. The lack of Cilan in the new one is pretty absurd.

Back to the episode.

Oh, it’s the Butterfree episode.

Ash is just strolling all around on this island. Did he forget that he’s trying to get home so X and Y can come out? This man is on vacation! -_-“

Ash said he’s never seen so many Metapod evolve at once, and, though I don’t remember, I just feel like that isn’t true. Maybe I’m wrong here, but…it just seems like he’s seen that before. Also those Butterfree looked so cute just lying on the ground. And…kinda dumb. Like, why couldn’t they just get up real quick?

Ash needs to cut it out with the Pokedex. And did we REALLY need a cutscene for something we JUST SAW?!

Ooh, more flashbacks! Insignificant compared to Charizard’s flashbacks~

Ash is definitely not trying to get back to Kanto. He’s seriously gonna run all that way back to Prof. Not Prepared and then run all the way back wasting all this good time?

Y’know, Ash never said he was gonna take this thing under his wing and start training it...

Part of me felt odd seeing Ash so serious about training that Caterpie. He is always so: “Pokémon can evolve when they’re good and ready.” It just seemed strange for him to be pushing it so hard.

Another thing; Ash is actually being funny today. Like he’s actually acting like his old self and running into/ falling from trees and HOW MANY DAMN DAYS DID THEY SPEND WITH THAT CATERPIE?!?! WHERE’S THE BOAT?!?! WHERE THE HELL DID TEAM ROCKET COME FROM? WHY IS THERE SO LITTLE TO TALK ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE?!

Lol, Caterpie’s a football.

No one ever thought they see the day when a Caterpie fought and Ursaring and lived. O_O

“That was hard.” - Cilan

“You’re joking right?”- Iris. Damn you Iris.

Ash really is acting like old Ash this episode. Why didn’t he send out a Flying-type? How is Body Slam not killing him? He didn’t even get a concussion after all that.

Every Butterfree Ash gets, he loses. TwT

They said BEST WISHES and BYE-BYE. The references. Not to mention that ending was really beautiful.

That episode…wasn’t bad. It was…really good actually. An episode of DA was good. I can’t believe it. I never thought it’d happen. But, I really can’t say anything bad about the episode expect the obvious Team Rocket. So…8/10.

Ash goes to the extreme to train a random Pokemon but doesn't even bother to train his own. How wonderful.

Okay episode though.

I Give this Episode an 8.8 because I FELT REALLY, REALLY, REALLY Emotional in this Episode and Sara Natochenny as Ash I Think did a Really good Job I Think and Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree was Really Good i think as well and I had Shed 1 Tear during the Farwell.
Downside Team Rocket once Again was REALLY Not Necessary in this Episode I Think.

Caterpie makes the cutest noises omgphidsjdfshn

One thing I really like is when this show adapts things from real life to the Pokemon world, like Ursaring marking its territory with claw marks. It's just a really nice touch.

It's really good to see Ash interact and train a Caterpie, especially since we so rarely get a chance to see him train. Of course, usually training episodes aren't all that interesting, so it makes sense that the writers haven't spent a ton of time, but it's fairly clear that he does it off-screen at the least. This bad boy was almost as good as the Charizard episode.

Takes 1 episode to evolve a caterpie twice
Has had two stage one starters for 150 both of whom are used regularly.

Has had two stage one starters for 150 both of whom are used regularly.
But bugs usually evolve early in both game and anime canon. The original Butterfree got less training and evolved in only two episodes.

They did that before back in BF. I think in that ep, the double evo occurred in one day, and didn't involve a training montage. (And too bad they couldn't use the Rocky theme. Or have Caterpie run up a flight of stairs like Chili's Pansear did.)

Amazingly, TPTB didn't do a redux of any of the S1 eps involving Ash's Butterfree, though they did refer to them. Though I'm pretty sure there've been a few eps where Ash helped a wild Pokémon train to evolve.

For everyone who thinks Ash's Charizard is overused (and I've been seeing that a lot on the anime Mega Evos thread to pooh-pooh the idea of Big C going to Kalos with Ash), note that either Charizard or Krookodile could've squashed that Ursaring, yet Ash didn't use either. Makes me wonder why he acted like he was in mortal danger.

Such a good and emotional episode. Really brought me back to old times. The slideshow of still images of Caterpie's training shows how many can be told with minimal footage. I would call this episode an ode to the first Pokémon Ash ever caught. And a beautiful one at that. My only problem with this episode was Metapod's voice which sounded like a bad imitation of how Metapod used to sound.

10/10

P.S. May I nominate Caterpie for cutest Pokémon (and cutest sounding Pokémon) ever?

I just watched it. This episode gets a 9.5/10 from me. Really sweet episode. My expectations were pretty high for the episode when I heard about the Japanese release and this episode met that. Best Decalore Episode. Ash was pretty funny during this episode, which he hasn't been for a while. And why hate on Iris guys? Misty used to always tease Brock about liking girls and make fun of Ash.

Loved the episode, and wasn't that butterfree just the cutest? but man that ending

It really hits you hard :'(

9/10

A decent episode. Until the emotional final scene it might have looked like an ordinary episode, but I actually liked the message that it conveyed: Being outside and enjoying the wonders of nature sure is a great thing! It somehow reminds you that the world can indeed be a wonderful place if it weren't for all those people who spread hate, violence and war.

And then, of course, that touching farewell scene. Well done!

And I finally want to mention one of Jessie's lines that I found hilarious: "I wish we got frequent flyer miles" I'd say that's right on ;)

Doesn't anyone realize that Team Rocket tried to KILL Ash in this episode?
But anyway, this was a great nostalgic episode, and it really brought back memories for all of us, Ash included. He's friends with two Butterfrees now. Also, I think Butterfrees are supposed to be free, hence their name. That's it, new rule, you're not allowed to catch Butterfree in the games, and if you get one through evolving, you have to release it. No exceptions.

Hey, you're sending that guy blasting off in that animated picture of yours! Ha-ha!
Anyway, that scene wasn't hilarious, it was kinda dark. And Iris' reaction to Ash falling indicates that it was indeed a DEADLY drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're good at making ya feel. :'(

Wish Ash had caught that Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree.

Doesn't anyone realize that Team Rocket tried to KILL Ash in this episode?
But anyway, this was a great nostalgic episode, and it really brought back memories for all of us, Ash included. He's friends with two Butterfrees now. Also, I think Butterfrees are supposed to be free, hence their name. That's it, new rule, you're not allowed to catch Butterfree in the games, and if you get one through evolving, you have to release it. No exceptions.

Hey, you're sending that guy blasting off in that animated picture of yours! Ha-ha!
Anyway, that scene wasn't hilarious, it was kinda dark. And Iris' reaction to Ash falling indicates that it was indeed a DEADLY drop.

It made the episode more exciting, haha. But this isn't the first time someone tried to kill ash. No No. But my problem with that scene is that he could've just called out Charizard to go retrieve Pikachu and Butterfree, what's Woobat and Amoongus gonna do? Ash was pretty dumb to jump.

It made the episode more exciting, haha. But this isn't the first time someone tried to kill ash. No No. But my problem with that scene is that he could've just called out Charizard to go retrieve Pikachu and Butterfree, what's Woobat and Amoongus gonna do? Ash was pretty dumb to jump.
I assume that he sent Charizard to Oak to get Leavanny - because he always leaves behind his flying type in episodes where it wouldn't be convenient for the plot.

Besides, Ash would have just landed on an Ursaring and then have to run away.

I assume that he sent Charizard to Oak to get Leavanny - because he always leaves behind his flying type in episodes where it wouldn't be convenient for the plot.

Besides, Ash would have just landed on an Ursaring and then have to run away.
Hmm...That actually makes sense(well except the last line)

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom