• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Customization

i think after the pokemon episode of James crossdressing (complete with fake boobs) in addition to his MANY other cases of dressing as a female in the anime.... i wouldnt put the possibility of some crossdressing completely out fo the question. Japanese culture is accepting of different things than 'typical american' culture or other locations.

Japanese culture is accepting of different things than 'typical american' culture or other locations.
The example you cited was purely humorous. Humor derived purely because a character is crossdressing could hardly be seen as "accepting". I don't mean to be a downer (this is just a kids show), just saying.

Anyone, I expect there won't be crossdressing options. Then again, I didn't expect New Leaf to have it yet I was wrong.

im just saying its not impossible for the humor from the anime to be translated ot the games, particularly with the depth of customization options we have been shown so far.

Hey guys, I want to bring this up here...wouldn't it be cool if we had the option to change into something that was like a tribute to other Nintendo characters, like a Mario or Link clothes for the male and then we'd have Samus-esque clothing for the female protagonist? That'd be awesome. @__@

Sorry if this was brought up already, didn't check previous pages. D:

Don't think this would work. Pokemon isn't part of the overall Nintendo universe where as it's hinted that things like Animal Crossing are. Pokemon's kind of like in it's own little bubble and only comes out during SSB.

Now Mario/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi hats I can see since that little "Game where Mario wears a bucket on his head" reference. But I can't really see them having the full on costumes or other non-Mario costumes.

Lyra had been wearing clothes that were similar to Super Mario's

I'm really starting to think that might be coincidental, because honestly I think I saw a similar outfit in a 1970s Penny's catalog.

ETA: Nope, wait, it was a 1969 High School Fashion LIFE gallery.
View attachment 90103
Really, just change the hat and the shirt.

super-mario-bros.jpg 286px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Lyra.png

Not to mention Lyra hair sort of looks like Mario's 'stache

While I'd love to see dresses for male characters, I don't think it's likely. The male and female characters have different models, so I'd expect the clothes available to be very different.
Unfortunately (I mean, I'd LIKE if it happened too) I second this. The models are far more detailed and different than say, Animal Crossing, so they would have to model the different pieces specifically for each.

Whichiever their intention would be otherwise, it's no longer simply not placing a restriction and making a few minor general adjustments, but actually completely duplicating the work for the feature.

Even if some graphic designer REALLY bored with their free time would've dedicated a lot of effort to go over every single clothing article, it'd also mean they'd set an standard where they have to increase the work on any MORE post-release clothes they make.

Not to mention Lyra hair sort of looks like Mario's 'stache

Even so, it's not like she's wearing a red hat, white gloves, and brown shoes. Just because she's wearing a red shirt with overalls doesn't automatically equal Mario. Unless Sugimori, Eo, or whoever came up with the clothing idea comes out and admits that Mario inspired Lyra's clothes in some way, then it's purely fan speculation and a coincidence like I said.

As for the pigtails looking like Mario's mustache...I don't see it. It looks like a more refined and less 90s anime looking version of Kris' style.

While I'd love to see dresses for male characters, I don't think it's likely. The male and female characters have different models, so I'd expect the clothes available to be very different.
Unfortunately (I mean, I'd LIKE if it happened too) I second this. The models are far more detailed and different than say, Animal Crossing, so they would have to model the different pieces specifically for each.

Whichiever their intention would be otherwise, it's no longer simply not placing a restriction and making a few minor general adjustments, but actually completely duplicating the work for the feature.

Even if some graphic designer REALLY bored with their free time would've dedicated a lot of effort to go over every single clothing article, it'd also mean they'd set an standard where they have to increase the work on any MORE post-release clothes they make.

If the clothes are baggy enough such as the blue hoodie, they wouldn't need to change much, maybe just the arms in the preview screens. I'm still holding out for some baggy unisex clothing.

Going back to an earlier discussion about outfits from other franchises: Animal Crossing has a Link outfit, plus things like Midna mask, Fi mask, then there's a Samus outfit, Mario hat, Peach's umbrella, Toad hat, Wario hat, Pikmin helmets, etc. I don't think it would be impossible for Pokemon to include things like that as special customisation options.

i think after the pokemon episode of James crossdressing (complete with fake boobs) in addition to his MANY other cases of dressing as a female in the anime.... i wouldnt put the possibility of some crossdressing completely out fo the question. Japanese culture is accepting of different things than 'typical american' culture or other locations.

Given that the anime has had crossdressing incidents since then and no one cared, I doubt this would mean anything. The fake boobs thing crossed the line, but a guy in a dress or skirt is apparently pretty much fine.

Really guys?

I'd rather have the male player character keep his dignity by not being forced to wear a dress.

Really guys?

I'd rather have the male player character keep his dignity by not being forced to wear a dress.

Really dude? Are you really saying cross-dressers have no dignity?

You know that long pants were originally masculine clothes, right? So every woman who wears them have no dignity?

I mean, really?

I don't even. What exactly is "unworthy" about a man wearing a dress, a skirt or whatever? What does wearing a certain piece of clothe have to do with dignity?

Really guys?

Really dude? Are you really saying cross-dressers have no dignity?

You know that long pants were originally masculine clothes, right? So every woman who wears them have no dignity?

I mean, really?

I don't even. What exactly is "unworthy" about a man wearing a dress, a skirt or whatever? What does wearing a certain piece of clothe have to do with dignity?

I think unfortunately the times that are, cross dressing is still deemed controversial. So rather then redesign all the models for clothes to be boy and girl wearable, it's likely they'll just leave it out. Unfortunately for cross dressers you're a very slim and misunderstood minority. I don't want to be the negative nelly like a few people who've posted on this thread, but really don't get your hopes up for the feature as it likely just won't be.

As a man I can safely say if I walk down the street in a dress I'm going to get some mean stares. That's just how society is right now. My personal stance is I'm neither pro or anti cross dressing. I'm very anti gender norms but honestly I have a hard time taking a man serious in a dress. Not to much of a barrier for girls cross dressing though. In fact I see it so often it's fairly normal to me at this point.

Alright everyone, let's avoid this becoming a debate about to what degree you're justified in passing judgement on crossdressers. You're not. People will dress how they wish, it has zero effect on you, it's none of your business and your approval is not required. The end. Now, back on topic, please.

I'd prefer crossover costumes to be more subtle than New Leaf. Lyra's Mario-lite outfit in HGSS is a good example. If there was a peter panish looking costume that evoked the feel of Link without looking like a copy I'd prefer that to a perfect Link outfit.

I know it's not going to be as extensive as a fashion-focused game as Style Savvy, but I'm hoping for:

Headwear
Glasses
Top(outer)
Top(inner)
Gloves
Bottom
Socks
Footwear
Bag

...Looking at it, that's a lot of slots...
Huh, ended up getting more than I expected. Don't have two layers of tops or gloves, but did get dresses. That's nice. Overall, I'm satisfied.

Anyone else is worried that the customization of your character may be related to paid downloadable content? I hope not... it just occurred to me.

the only paid feature so far has been the transporter and they were up-front about the cost. why would they release this feature without mentioning the cost if they planned ot have one?

I do wonder if we'll be able to design some clothes, sort of like they do in Animal Crossing.
I don't think Game Freak should take that route, with the designs appearing to other players, a lot of players being young and innocent, and the fact that there are a few people who would put things like swears and genitals onto their shirts. Maybe the shirts could be restricted from being worn over the GTS.

Back
Top Bottom