• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Older Ash???

Oh my god. Dislike. Where's the dislike button? Why would you watch shitty YouTube "Pokemon Fact" videos when you're on a site that hosts Bulbapedia?

First of all, that was in the JOUTO saga, not DP. Second, they retconned the whole "year passing" thing in the Pikachu and Pichu short since the first episode of Best Wishes. I don't like it either, but just accept it...

Oh my god. Dislike. Where's the dislike button? Why would you watch shitty YouTube "Pokemon Fact" videos when you're on a site that hosts Bulbapedia?
I wish there was a dislike button for you post, How dare you rip on JWiz's video.

I wish there was a dislike button for you post, How dare you rip on JWiz's video.

You could easily find the topics of his fact videos on sites like Serebii or Bulbapedia. Also, they shouldn't be called fact videos if they're mostly filled with postulations.

His "Banned Episodes" video, for example, was filled with cultural ignorance and some of his claims are incorrect. I do appreciate the fact that he realizes more than one manga exists though.

The fandom is better off making creative videos, like the ones found on Nico Nico Douga, if they're just going to repeat what's already written as known facts about the franchise on major Pokemon websites. But I digress. Feel free to get your Pokemon information from unreliable sources.

Last edited:
I'm really fine either way. Just don't go back and forth on his age. TheJWittz on YouTube just made a video about this a few years ago. Ash is supposed to be 26! (10 years + 16 years of the anime)

But the anime has only ever mentioned him being 10, then 11 (in the DP saga), then back to 10 in BW… -_-

I don't really care because to me him, Misty, Iris, Dawn and May all looked 15 or 16 to me while Max looked 10 (Brock, Tracey and Cilan looked 19 instead of 15, and Jessie and James' 17 year old selves looked 23) lol

He was never stated to be 11 lol.

[video=youtube_share;_hyqxT0OmYw]http://youtu.be/_hyqxT0OmYw[/video]

2:00-2:20

Lol do your research, DP=/=Johto.

I'm really fine either way. Just don't go back and forth on his age. TheJWittz on YouTube just made a video about this a few years ago. Ash is supposed to be 26! (10 years + 16 years of the anime)

But the anime has only ever mentioned him being 10, then 11 (in the DP saga), then back to 10 in BW… -_-

I don't really care because to me him, Misty, Iris, Dawn and May all looked 15 or 16 to me while Max looked 10 (Brock, Tracey and Cilan looked 19 instead of 15, and Jessie and James' 17 year old selves looked 23) lol

When did they say Ash was 11 in DP?

[video=youtube_share;_hyqxT0OmYw]http://youtu.be/_hyqxT0OmYw[/video]

No, Ash was never said to be 11 in DP (even in that video). That was just Team Rocket breaking the fourthwall. The one year thing was said in Johto, not DP.

I really don't care about Ash's age now or before in BW. I just don't want them mentioning it so that he doesn't seem like he is just starting out his journey or something like before.

Honestly; I'm surprised that in this of all threads, not one of you has brought up the rumour that's been spreading like wildfire:

Supposedly, the new writing team has stated that they have boosted his age up to 16. I've heard it's been seen either in magazine interviews or on the Japanese site; but so far I've not heard anything definite. Has there actually been a confirmed source for the rumour? I must know.

Here's the way I see it: Around the end of the Kanto Saga/Beginning of the Johto Saga- Ash had a birthday, right? He also held a celebration for his anniversary of meeting Pikachu. The BW writing team threw canon to the wind and lowered his age, much to many a fan's dismay, mine included. That and the fact that he had to use his Pokedex to look up a KOFFING, which he met in his early days as a trainer, are pretty much the reasons why I didn't watch any of the BW era. Also because The Pokemon Company failed to meet the standard they achieved with the BW2 trailer; opting to use different voice actors for characters like N, Colress/Achroma and Cheren as opposed to the vocal talents of Sean Schemmel (Funimation DB/Z/GT/Kai Goku) and the former voice actors of Sonic and Amy from Sonic X (they weren't bad voices, just that 4kids dubs that weren't Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh were awful and dumbed down) from the trailer.

Then I heard the rumor about Ash being 16 from a friend of mine, and, already having seen his taller, older looking redesign, this boosted my hope for the anime. We also now know that Ash has known Serena since childhood. Now, though we don't know WHEN she left Kanto for Kalos, this DOES imply, at least in my mind's eye, that several years have passed since then, not only since they were kids and not trainers yet, but that Ash has been through so many journeys and adventures., aged at least once, and that the retconned canon has been altered again.

Does that make any sense to you guys? I probably didn't word that the best I could. And to support this re-retconning theory, I know for a fact that writers of other children's shows have previously thrown canon to the wind and retconned a series' timeline, only to be later replaced (10 years later in this case, I might add!!!) by veteran writers who did their research due to complaints from older fans and parents. I won't say WHAT series has gotten this treatment; just that it was a big part of my childhood up till about the 5th grade; then I rediscovered it in high school and was disappointed by the lowered quality until last year when the retconned bits started being rewritten to more or less how they originally were.

But, I digress; that's pretty much my stance on this whole issue, and I need to know if anyone here has been able to track down a source for the rumour. Surely many of you have heard of it by now.

Supposedly, the new writing team has stated that they have boosted his age up to 16. I've heard it's been seen either in magazine interviews or on the Japanese site; but so far I've not heard anything definite. Has there actually been a confirmed source for the rumour? I must know.

There's no official source or interview that says this in Japanese.

they weren't bad voices, just that 4kids dubs that weren't Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh were awful and dumbed down
What? The regular Pokemon episodes are debatable, but Yuugiou's dub was as crappy as the rest of 4Kids' dubs and was horribly dumbed down compared to the Japanese version. Doesn't help that the anime was far-off from the original manga to begin with.

Take a watered-down product and water it down even more. That's what the "Yu-Gi-Oh!" anime is in America.

Eh, I wasn't too bothered by that dub. One Piece grated my nerves and Sonic X at times could be a bit awkward sounding. But I digress.

Shame there doesn't seem to be an official source. Welp, there go my hopes.

Eh, I wasn't too bothered by that dub. One Piece grated my nerves and Sonic X at times could be a bit awkward sounding. But I digress.

Well, the quality of the voices are subjective, but if you've ever watched the Japanese anime (or better yet, read the original manga), you can tell it's a bad dub and watered down in terms of overall quality of editing and dialogue. Also, cranking narm up to 11.

Yeah, unless your friend knows Japanese, you should be weary of any rumors he tells you.

Last edited:
Eh, well even if it isn't true I don't think this arc will be as annoying as I found the BW arc; and plus there's always my headcanon- if he looks older, he's aged in my mind. I'm actually gonna give it a shot.

Here's hoping the Pokemon Company does as good a job as they did with the BW2 trailer; XY looks like it might actually be decent.

BW was an interesting series so far.

Ash only look older because of the new designs for the XY anime series, which does make him look even more better then his DP look.

Ash will be 10 in pokemon XY series. It's cofnriemd today when Ash puts his Kalos clothes and the age was still the same.

Honestly; I'm surprised that in this of all threads, not one of you has brought up the rumour that's been spreading like wildfire:

Here's the way I see it: Around the end of the Kanto Saga/Beginning of the Johto Saga- Ash had a birthday, right? He also held a celebration for his anniversary of meeting Pikachu. The BW writing team threw canon to the wind and lowered his age, much to many a fan's dismay, mine included. That and the fact that he had to use his Pokedex to look up a KOFFING, which he met in his early days as a trainer, are pretty much the reasons why I didn't watch any of the BW era. Also because The Pokemon Company failed to meet the standard they achieved with the BW2 trailer; opting to use different voice actors for characters like N, Colress/Achroma and Cheren as opposed to the vocal talents of Sean Schemmel (Funimation DB/Z/GT/Kai Goku) and the former voice actors of Sonic and Amy from Sonic X (they weren't bad voices, just that 4kids dubs that weren't Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh were awful and dumbed down) from the trailer.

Then I heard the rumor about Ash being 16 from a friend of mine, and, already having seen his taller, older looking redesign, this boosted my hope for the anime. We also now know that Ash has known Serena since childhood. Now, though we don't know WHEN she left Kanto for Kalos, this DOES imply, at least in my mind's eye, that several years have passed since then, not only since they were kids and not trainers yet, but that Ash has been through so many journeys and adventures., aged at least once, and that the retconned canon has been altered again.

Does that make any sense to you guys? I probably didn't word that the best I could. And to support this re-retconning theory, I know for a fact that writers of other children's shows have previously thrown canon to the wind and retconned a series' timeline, only to be later replaced (10 years later in this case, I might add!!!) by veteran writers who did their research due to complaints from older fans and parents. I won't say WHAT series has gotten this treatment; just that it was a big part of my childhood up till about the 5th grade; then I rediscovered it in high school and was disappointed by the lowered quality until last year when the retconned bits started being rewritten to more or less how they originally were.

But, I digress; that's pretty much my stance on this whole issue, and I need to know if anyone here has been able to track down a source for the rumour. Surely many of you have heard of it by now.

I think this was more for the new kiddies to the anime as they most likely never knew that James even owned a Koffing and outside of BW2 most likely didn't even know what a Koffing is.

Obviously. But it's still stupid as hell.

I don't think they're going to make him older because Pokémon's main target audiance are kids around the age of 10. I would've loved to see Ash mature up, even after being ten for such a long time, but I'm convinced that that's never ever going to happen. UNLESS they end up finishing Ash's storyline and start a new series which will have a time jump. Maybe then and only then Ash could mature up and be the Red type of trainer that i always wished he could be.
He had so much potential after Kanto's Pokemon League. If they had ended the main storyline for him there and went on with Gold/Kenta/Jimmy and other characters, then maybe they could've made Ash a cameo character that just stops by every now and then in a special episode. He could've kicked butts and show everyone how much he has progressed since Kanto.

Oh well, that's never going to happen, sadly :(

Obviously. But it's still stupid as hell.

To older people but it makes sense for the kiddies. Plus it might get them interested in the older games.

I don't take "advertisement" as valid explanations for anything in the shows I watch. No matter how much it's the truth in reality.

Nevertheless, it's still rather stupid either way. Dogasu is owned by Homika in the Black 2 and White 2 games. Kids don't need to play the older games to know what it is...

I don't think they're going to make him older because Pokémon's main target audiance are kids around the age of 10.
There are plenty of anime series that are aimed around that age which use older protagonists.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom