• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Your Personal Guilty Pleasure Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

betterboulder

Pkmn Grad Student
Reaction score
Hey all!
I just want to hear people's guilty pleasure movies. Movies that might be/are bad, strange, get a bad rep, or go long under-appreciated that you love everything about and may even defend from time to time.

Here are a few of my own:

Super Mario Bros. The Movie - The moment that the people in charge envisioned a live action Mario movie they pretty much resigned themselves to failure. The series is so out there that it would have been better served as an animated feature. However, I am completely in love with it. The direction they take is insane and absolutely bonkers that it winds up being a fantastically enjoyable romp. I'm actually kind of sad that the hinted at sequel never came to fruition but a couple of comic creators who share my love are taking up the mantle and I can't wait (Super Mario Bros. 2: The Comic | You're never going to believe this!)

Speed Racer
- Hands down, the best live-action anime adaptation I've ever seen (take that DB: Evolution). It fully embraces the anime aesthetic by going bombastic and colorful. Completely slathered in CGI and all the better for it. The races are awesome, the characters are eccentric, and the visuals truly make it an anime by turning everything up to 11. This movie is great!

Predators - Probably the best thing to happen with the Predators fiction since the original movie. The rag tag group of prey that is assembled are awesome!

Cube & Cube 2: Hypercube
- Two claustrophobic horror/thrillers that play with math, time, dimensions and killer traps. These are two great, fun watches.

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch - Since I'm not a big fan of the hulking, stalker killer horror movies (Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc.) this stands out to me as the best film of the Halloween series. The plot is so dark and insane that it ends up actually being very scary by the end.

I'm one of the writers for said Super Mario Bros.: The Movie sequel comic. Glad to find a fan here!

I also love Cube and Hypercube. Very simple, yet also elegant horror films. Cube: Zero, however, was abysmal.

I'm one of the writers for said Super Mario Bros.: The Movie sequel comic. Glad to find a fan here!

I also love Cube and Hypercube. Very simple, yet also elegant horror films. Cube: Zero, however, was abysmal.

Awesome, awesome, awesome! You're doing great work! And thanks for deriding Cube: Zero. Never seen it and now I never have to

The original Cube is a good movie, IMO. A few of the performances do lean toward the hammy side, but that's the very worst I can really say about it. I've not seen either of the sequels.

I'm pretty fond of The Black Cauldron, which frequently gets written off as Disney's worst animated feature (often by people who'll admit to having never actually seen it, and are just going by reputation). I do think that it's a heavily flawed film (its most fatal flaw being that, simply put, the story is not very well told) but at the same time there's so much that I find genuinely appealling about it. It's so unlike every other Disney film that came before or after, the moody, murky atmosphere is affecting and nicely sustained, and there are occasional flashes of brilliance which hint at what it could have been with better fortunes. This was Disney's attempt to reinvent themselves for the 1980s, and in that regard it was a total failure - but it holds up as such a fascinating failure, and I'm sure that more than just Disney completists could find points of interests therein.

Well, whenever I am bored or feeling lousy. I try to turn it up to either comedy or romance, One of my favourite films would be Sex and the city: The Movie, It's a secret but I really like the chemistry and emotion displayed; definitely a fun entourage to have even if your a guy. And the second would be Vampire Kiss; a cult classic starring Nicholas cage. It's just hilarious.

Well, whenever I am bored or feeling lousy. I try to turn it up to either comedy or romance, One of my favourite films would be Sex and the city: The Movie, It's a secret but I really like the chemistry and emotion displayed; definitely a fun entourage to have even if your a guy. And the second would be Vampire Kiss; a cult classic starring Nicholas cage. It's just hilarious.

Speaking of Nic Cage. Snake Eyes is a pretty good underrated mystery/thriller he was in. He doesn't go as crazy as Vampire Kiss but it's a pretty cool role for him.

Nic Cage is a wonderful actor, I often compare Vampire Kiss to American Psycho; Christian Bale just goes more insane and in role.

Super Mario Bros. The Movie - The moment that the people in charge envisioned a live action Mario movie they pretty much resigned themselves to failure. The series is so out there that it would have been better served as an animated feature. However, I am completely in love with it. The direction they take is insane and absolutely bonkers that it winds up being a fantastically enjoyable romp. I'm actually kind of sad that the hinted at sequel never came to fruition but a couple of comic creators who share my love are taking up the mantle and I can't wait (Super Mario Bros. 2: The Comic | You're never going to believe this!)
Yes! I love this movie as well. It's really not all that bad, and was always entertaining to me as a child. If you just think of it as standalone from the games, it isn't really all that disappointing. Never thought the games would make for good watching anyway. Better to play.

Other than that, another guilty pleasure of mine is Spice World. It's just so fun to watch, and quite amusing. Also, the nostalgia factor gets me quite a bit. As a child, I absolutely was obsessed with the Spice Girls. And as a result, watched the movie to death. Still, now that there's more mature jokes I didn't get before (and really, almost every joke in there), it's even more entertaining. It's just cheesy and I love it. I suppose I have a higher tolerance for cheese. (I just laugh at it. :3)

Other than that, another guilty pleasure of mine is Spice World. It's just so fun to watch, and quite amusing. Also, the nostalgia factor gets me quite a bit. As a child, I absolutely was obsessed with the Spice Girls. And as a result, watched the movie to death. Still, now that there's more mature jokes I didn't get before (and really, almost every joke in there), it's even more entertaining. It's just cheesy and I love it. I suppose I have a higher tolerance for cheese. (I just laugh at it. :3)

When ever I remember Spice World, I can't help but also recall and confuse it with Josie and the Pussycats. I think it was all the leopard print that appeared in both movies and both films have about the same level of cheese.

This is my biggest one. I adore this movie and have lots of warm and fuzzy feelings for it. I was also living in the city where it was filmed--Wilmington, NC--so it was pretty awesome to watch this movie and recognize parts of the downtown area.

Another one would be TMNT 3: Turtles in Time. A lot of fans regard it as an awful film, but I found it to be pretty enjoyable if you can turn your brain off. Every time I see it on TV, which isn't often, I have to sit down and watch.

-Kung Pow Enter The Fist
I watched this back when I was in grade school. Looking back at it, it's still funny. It is an affectionate parody of badly dubbed 70's kung fu films. It's suppose to be stupid. It's so stupid, that it's funny!

-The Grinch (2000)
Yeah, it took some liberties, and there were some scenes that weren't necessary, but I consider this to be one of the better, more faithful adaptations of the Dr Seuss's books. Jim Carrey nailed the role as the Grinch. I could not think of any other actor that could play the live action Grinch. This is possibly the only Dr. Seuss live action film that is good...unlike some other ones (I'm looking at you, Cat in the Hat 2003).

wayne's world. great movie. everytime i watch it, i dress up as garth.

I have two.

Suburban Commando - There were some stupid things, but I admit, some of the jokes got me laughing.

The Room - Watching it, you could tell that it was supposed to be a drama, but now even its creator, Tommy Wiseau, refers to it as a comedy. This is seriously one of the funniest movies that I've ever seen.

Dolly's bored so...

Two of my guilty pleasure movies are I Can't Think Straight, and Spice World. I Can't Think Straight is really dang adorable, and the chemistry between the couple as their relationship develops is really sweet. As for Spice World, I LOVED singing along with the songs when I was younger. I also really enjoyed the crazy random plot, I think the bomb on the bus and etc are what made the movie.

Vanilla Sky was kind of critically panned, but it's actually a highly enjoyable film. One of Tom Cruise's best as far as I'm concerned.

I used to feel guilty about liking children's films when I was a teen. But nowadays I've embraced that fascination for Pixar, and I hold Toy Story as my no.1 film.

For me, it's the High School Musical movies. They're so cheesy, but I grew up with them and the songs are catchy. :p

Showgirls, directed by Paul Verhoeven in 90's.
A Cinderella Story, starring Hilary Duff and Chad Michael Murray.
Resident Evil movies.
Stephen King movies adaptations.

And much... much MORE! XD

Speed Racer
- Hands down, the best live-action anime adaptation I've ever seen (take that DB: Evolution). It fully embraces the anime aesthetic by going bombastic and colorful. Completely slathered in CGI and all the better for it. The races are awesome, the characters are eccentric, and the visuals truly make it an anime by turning everything up to 11. This movie is great!

Oh, I love that - every time I see it, I want John Goodman & Susan Sarandon to be my parents

Stephen King movies adaptations.

Me too - my favourites are Maximum Overdrive, Christine & Sleepwalkers

I love monster movies & 50s sci-fi b-movies

Dumb disaster movies like Twister, Volcano and When Time Ran Out. They are so ridiculous in their execution that I end up laughing at what's going on instead of feeling bad for what's happening. I still enjoy them and watch them continuously because they are so entertaining.

I also love the live-action Chipmunks movies, the Speed Racer movie, Godzilla from 1998, Bebe's Kids, Jingle All the Way, and The Langoliers. Movies that most people hate that I enjoy immensely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom