• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Moves/Abilities

Tough Claws might mean that Mega Charizard would have preferred Dragon Claw, because once boosted, it does a good deal of damage, assuming its boost is substantial.

Thanks for reading.

This makes me wonder if Mega Evolutions have exclusive moves, because some of these Mega evolutions would benefit from moves that don't really fit their base forms. If so, Mega Charizard X will almost certainly have Dragon Claw.

What do you mean, they'll learn a new move only when it mega evolves kind of like Rotom? I really can't see them doing that, and Charizard already gets enough dragon type moves on its own, including Dragon Claw.

I wonder how much Tough Claws will raise attacking moves by? I can only imagine a maximum of 33%, because with that typing, Mega Charizard will already steamroll its way into OU most likely, with ridiculous coverage and attacks like Flare Blitz, Outrage, and Bellydrum.

What do you mean, they'll learn a new move only when it mega evolves kind of like Rotom? I really can't see them doing that, and Charizard already gets enough dragon type moves on its own, including Dragon Claw.

Yeah, but most of them are Move Tutor moves or Egg moves, and those are both inconvenient methods of teaching Pokemon moves. It'd be better if Charizard had some more Dragon types in his level up moveset, it'd be easier to take advantage of, but I don't think Charizard or Mega Charizard Y really benefits from that, hence why I'm wondering if Mega Charizard X has exclusive moves. Rotom is one way that they could handle that, but I agree that that's not an ideal solution. I can't really think of any others, though.

New entry hazard!

According to Serebii, there is a new move:

Sticky Web: The user weaves a sticky web around the opposing team, which lowers their speed upon switching into battle.

Do you think this will get used? If Forretress learns it, would people ever consider using a moveset consisting only of entry hazards? I hesitate at saying this, but it could be MORE influential than Stealth Rock. No more Scarf Tyranitar traps, no more being revenge killed by Starmie if you're a dragon type. It's like the good version of Tailwind, basically.

Plus, this could allow ghost types with only average speed to sweep, like Mismagius, since you can't Rapid Spin the Sticky Web away against it.

Considering how much the previous metagame revolved around the speed of sweepers, I do think that an entry hazard that reduces speed has the potential to be more influential than Stealth Rock itself. The problem, however, is if it becomes too prominent, then both teams would be at -1 speed, and essentially puts both teams on level playing grounds again. With Stealth Rock, having it on both sides doesn't really negate the benefits the team may reap from it. Having both sides slowed down nullifies all this.

EDIT: There seems to be a new style of "terrain moves" that affect the battlefield, but seem to have a continuous effect unlike entry hazards.

I wonder if Rototiller is like that and after its used once, Grass types that switch in will gain an increase in Atk/SATk.....

Last edited:
@TFerro; the only one discovered so far.....

Serebii.net Pokémon X/Y Discovery Thread - Page 11

Two new (hidden) abilities for Goodra and Talonflame

Sticky (JPN name)
Reduces opponent's speed when they hit Goodra with a contact move

Fast Wings (JPN name)
Gives priority to Talonflame's Flying type moves

Now if only Talonflame had good stats and wasn't fast anyway....but think about it, a priority Brave Bird and a priority Roost? Hopefully other Flying types get this.

Kecleon now has an ability that doesn't make it inherently worse, might be worth getting one now since I like it's design.

So the only way to get Pokemon with hidden abilities is via hordes or Friend Safari?

Kecleon now has an ability that doesn't make it inherently worse, might be worth getting one now since I like it's design.

And Froakie has it too.

Speaking of which, "Protean" is an awesome name...but I imagine a lot of people might see it as "Protein" and be confused at why it has the effect that it does.

I was hoping Nuzzle would have more power than 20 but the guaranteed Paralysis is nice. But the power-level is sucky, I was expecting at least 75.

Anyone want to guess who gets these new abilities not known to be possessed by anyone? These are:

- Aroma Veil (Protects allies from attacks that limit their move choices.)
- Magician (The Pokémon steals the held item of a Pokémon it hits with a move.)
- Bulletproof (Protects the Pokémon from some ball and bomb moves.)
- Grass Pelt (Boosts the Defense stat in Grassy Terrain.)
- Symbiosis (The Pokémon can pass an item to an ally.)

I predict that Aromatisse will get Aroma Veil, since its speciality is aroma. It would be a great Pokemon in a Trick Room team, since Taunt won't stop its partner, and you don't need a Mental Herb. Best if the partner is a Ghost-type, because Fake Out will fail (unless it's Scrappy-powered). Potential users could be Vileplume and Bellossom, who only have only one natural ability (Chlorophyll).

For Magician, it would likely be the ability of Delphox. Not the most exciting ability, but the ability to steal items reliably is quite a boon. Alakazam is also a good candidate, although it already have three existing abilities. However, if Scolipede have Speed Boost based on a screenshot with questionable credibility, that COULD be possible.

Bulletproof might as well be Chesnaught's ability. This will make Chesnaught a great tank, able to withstand a few attacks that it might otherwise take.

Grass Pelt, I guess, is Trevenant's ability. If Grassy Terrain is popular, Trevenant will be one of the guaranteed users.

Symbiosis is hard to guess, but I am going to go with Klefki. Its nature is to store keys for others, and based on the description of this ability, this ability could fit it.

Thanks for reading.

So the weather abilities nerf turned out to be true, so does this mean that the stealth rock nerf is true as well?

That's not proven. There was a sample where it said neutral takes 10%, but other samples were more of that being the same.

Thanks for reading.

Grass Pelt, I guess, is Trevenant's ability. If Grassy Terrain is popular, Trevenant will be one of the guaranteed users.

Sounds more like Gogoat and Skiddo than Trevenant. A pelt is an animal's coat; Trevenant doesn't have a pelt.

nothing of a new move, but move change, toxic can hit you when your flying

Evidently there has been a report of a Speed Boost Scolipede, which if true, means Pokemon can now have four abilities.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom