• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

fav DP starter?

fav DP starter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like Turtwig, but in the end it's a close race between Piplup and Chimchar. I aways pick piplup in the game, because I aways have a Staravia to back me up by the time I get to Eterna. However, the anime made me love Chimchar. *Is a sucker for the under-monkey* So end the end I pick emo Chimchar.

Chimchar's entire evolutionary line looks stupid to me. As did Torchic's. What happened to the fire starters anyway? They used to be so cool.

Although both Turtwig and Piplup are cute, Turtwig turns into a frickin' landmass, while Piplup just becomes some steel penguin demon (which, although cool, is no match for Torterra Mountain). I have to go with Turtwig here.

i like chimchar ... *sniffles at Cheesus Is Lord's comment*
i always choose the fire type (even TORCHIC XD), but if i didn't choose chimchar i would've chosen piplup cause the name's cute !

I think that Infernape is better because for one it could theoretically kill both of the other starters with a fire attack... that says something right there. Plus it's too fast for Toterra to kill with earthquake and his close combat is fast enough and powerful enough to over come the steel penguin demon.

I think he's cool enough, seriously even if he doesn't look like much it just adds to the insult when you win with him.

I have now started with all 3 Pokemon and must say I used to hate Chimchar, but now I love it. My first pick was Turtwig and that is also a very cool Pokemon once it has evolved. Have just started with Piplup so will see what I think by the end. Though I have always thought that as a penguin surely it should be water/ice type? Thats just me though.
But I think my favourite is Chimchar for starter.

Turtwig for sure. When it's fully evolved it has massive defences, and even though it's the slowest of the three mine has never fallen to Infernape. Hell, I'd say Empoleon is the weakest because it's easily OHKO'd by Infernape's Close Combat and Torterra's Earthquake

Turtwig is the best, Chimchar is second, and Piplup is dead last.

yeah, while i like chimchar the best they really need to stop giving us fire/fighting starters

yeah, while i like chimchar the best they really need to stop giving us fire/fighting starters

Why do you think that? *is curious*

I've only had Piplup as a starter, so I've nothing to compare it to yet. Though comparing Empoleon's base stats to those of Torterra and Infernape, I am a tad disappointed. *shrug* I made my choice, and I stick to it.

I'm hoping I'll get a chance to pit my Empoleon against an Infernape at some point, seeing as people seem to be claiming the latter is especially powerful (Marine said it could theoretically kill off both other starters? If true, there's a problem right there, considering water should surely have the type advantage...).

Empoleon can easily account for both Torterra and Infernape. Just give it an Ice-Beam, and Torterra is pretty much gone.

Empoleon all the way.

Empoleon can easily account for both Torterra and Infernape. Just give it an Ice-Beam, and Torterra is pretty much gone.

Empoleon all the way.

*grins*

Ice-beam? I shall remember that, thanks. Though battle victories aside, I'm rather attached to my 'little' Empoleon. He and my female Staraptor are my highest levelled ones at the moment at 37 and 35 respectively.

Wtf Turtwig got only 5 votes? Torterra has a great combo type. Water and Steel is horrible. Piplup has to be in last.

I wouldn't say that. Water-Steel gives Empoleon 12 resistences. It nearly has the most resistences of any pokemon, next to Magi/mite/ton/zone with 14 resistences and Sableye and Spiritomb who have no weakness. Empoleon is a major deffensive player, weak only to fighting and ground.

But its weak to Thunderbolt, which I think brings it down a notch as a special wall.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom