• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I think Game Freak is trying to win back the Gen 1-3 crowd?

Marketing 101: It's easier to keep current customers, than it is to gain new ones.

As Dark Kyriaki said, GameFreak, Nintendo and The Pokemon Company aren't trying to win back old customers who stopped buying their products: they're aiming at new and (to a lesser extent) existing ones. This is basic.

If wasn't trying to bring back lost fans they would've stick the Kanto starters and Mewtwo post game but their not, of all the Pokemon seen from all the x and y trailers most of them were from gen 1, gave my evidence over a dozen times in this thread, but all of you refusing to believe it.

No you have merely given reasons why you THINK Gamefreak is bringing back older fans. Evidence would be along the lines of an official statement, which you don't have.

All you are doing is claiming something unproved as fact, which isn't a smart thing you want to make a habit of.

Until Gamefreak has an official statement on the matter, do not claim things as fact, when they are not.

Pokemon is a growing franchise with younger generations getting into it too. Game Freak doesn't need to win back fans since they are just gaining. They've always kept those kind of things in games. Look at HGSS for example, you were able to re-get the kanto starters in that. Not to mention with the pledge moves in Gen V, that encouraged having three different type starters even if you couldn't get them all in game. They also allowed for fossils from all generations to be found. They definitely are doing it for their own pleasure and not in an attempt to win back people.

Marketing 101: It's easier to keep current customers, than it is to gain new ones.

As Dark Kyriaki said, GameFreak, Nintendo and The Pokemon Company aren't trying to win back old customers who stopped buying their products: they're aiming at new and (to a lesser extent) existing ones. This is basic.

This is 100% dead on the money. Trying to "win back" people who haven't purchased a Pokemon game for 2 entire gaming generations, or even more for fans who dropped out after 1 or 2, is an exercise in futility. These people aren't really fans open to buying a Pokemon game, they're really ex-fans who have little to no interest in it. A handful of them buying it again doesn't really mean much and the games are still very much geared towards getting new fans buying.

I think there's a perception that the older fan base (and by older, I mean 15years+) is more numerous than they actually are because they are by far the most visible and active participants in VGC and other official competitions. But those competitions don't exactly cater to the millions of fans that enjoy the main storyline and casually battle or trade with friends or do post-game activities provided within the game itself.

its good to re-'introduce' older pokemon (and megas are the perfect opportunity to do so) so the older generation pokemon dont entirely lose their presence among newer players. i know (mostly younger) people who started in gen 4 who barely have any idea who charizard is... for example.

In the heat of the recent X and Y leaks as well as the recent flux of new bulbagarden users who fit the "gen 1-3 crowd/gen 4 or 5 hater" criteria, i think it's safe to say i was right all along.

In the heat of the recent X and Y leaks as well as the recent flux of new bulbagarden users who fit the "gen 1-3 crowd/gen 4 or 5 hater" criteria, i think it's safe to say i was right all along.

You're still at this? It's not safe to say you were "right all along". You still have no proof of GF trying to win anyone back and just because there are new users who dislike the newer generations does not mean anything. There are probably just as many new users who are of the opposite opinion.

You're still at this? It's not safe to say you were "right all along". You still have no proof of GF trying to win anyone back

Have you even seen the leaks?

The large number of older Pokemon in Kalos pokedex, most of them pokemon are from gen 1, 2 or 3

Most of all the Pokemon with megalutions are from gen 1 or 2

Charizard and Mewtwo both have two megalutions

The Kanto birds are roamers.

Looks like proof to me.

Did one of the leakers actually confirm that the legendary birds are in the game? Or is that just a rumour?

I think you're making a lot of conclusions from very little.

I think MacroMaster's original hunches were misplaced. (I.e. Zigzagoon and Pidgey in a dex mean nothing. Older Gen pokemon show up in every game except B/W.)
And I think GameFreak is always interested in regaining fans.
They market mostly to children but remember they have older fans and every year more people join that demographic then the under 10 one.

But-
While I can see them picking some of their favorites for their own amusement for Megas or Airtime. (Such as Gen 1 starters and Mewtwo.)

They did Pokemon Origins. Which cost money to make. Which they probably didn't spend for their own amusement.
This, more then anything, suggests a strong attempt to market to their older or past audiences.

And it's no coincidence they decided to add in Mega Evolutions to that story line.
I see this as using nostalgia to hook their past audience, then reel them in with a new game mechanic.

Last edited:
The Origin was to let younger fans know the past of the series. We see it as being a nostalgia-pull because the older fans are nostalgic about those first games, but they didn't make the specials just for us to wank over. It recounted major events from the first game, which hasn't been released in any fashion in about 9 years. Plenty of fans weren't even born back in 2004 when those games were released.

They're in a weird situation whenever they do decide to remake RSE, because gen III also had gen I in it. Not doing remakes of RSE and RBY/FRLG both leaves one set of games relegated to being far more archaic than any other. At least through the Origin the younger fans can be buffed up on the goings ons of the first game by the time those RSE remakes role around.

You're still at this? It's not safe to say you were "right all along". You still have no proof of GF trying to win anyone back

Have you even seen the leaks?

The large number of older Pokemon in Kalos pokedex, most of them pokemon are from gen 1, 2 or 3

Looks like proof to me.

Incorrect. Learn what the term proof means. Once again, it's speculation, not proof.

I'm still not inclined to believe that they're trying to bring back old fans. Since when has having Pokemon from older gens been a sign of trying to bring back old fans? Was BW2 trying to bring back old fans? DP? RSE?

The old fans you're talking about (i.e. People who are no longer interested in Pokemon) have been gone from the series for a long time and have no intention of returning. Hell, XY upset recent fans with the Fairy-type and Mega Evolution alone and even made some people cancel their preorders.

None of that is proof:

1. Including older Pokemon doesn't mean they want to bring back older fans. Especially if they're putting them in a game that those people will not buy. They wanted to make a bigger Dex so they used Pokemon from every generation. Like they've done before. You can find a Kanto Pokemon in pretty much every region; why's it such a big deal now?

2. Until all of the Megas are confirmed, we don't know where most of them are gonna be from. And even if they are mostly from the first two regions, so? They said they were choosing popular Pokemon; if that Pokemon happens to be from an older region, then that's just what it is. What's wrong with making older Pokes better and more usable? As I said, many people hate the Megas. Changing "those fans'" favorite Pokes won't be bringing them back.

3. What does Charizard and Mewtwo having two Megas have to do with anything? Especially when most of the older fans hate them?

4. So what if the Kanto birds are roamers? They roam in Platinum, too. Is Platinum trying to bring back old fans?

Those aren't proofs. A statement from GAME FREAK would be proof, but not drawing your own conclusions from what you believe to be evidence.

The Origin was to let younger fans know the past of the series. We see it as being a nostalgia-pull because the older fans are nostalgic about those first games, but they didn't make the specials just for us to wank over. It recounted major events from the first game, which hasn't been released in any fashion in about 9 years. Plenty of fans weren't even born back in 2004 when those games were released.

They're in a weird situation whenever they do decide to remake RSE, because gen III also had gen I in it. Not doing remakes of RSE and RBY/FRLG both leaves one set of games relegated to being far more archaic than any other. At least through the Origin the younger fans can be buffed up on the goings ons of the first game by the time those RSE remakes role around.

You are really saying they spent money to "educate" younger, newer fans?
As if the products they have now aren't gravitating enough to keep their interest?

Did you watch the damn thing? With it's subtle references and actual game text relating to the original game?

They aren't trying to do a public service here, they want money.
And that money is now located in adults who have spending power of their own. That's a smart demographic to target.

I'm sorry mate, your position sounds willfully ignorant.

Last edited:

You are really saying they spent money to "educate" younger, newer fans?
As if the products they have now aren't gravitating enough to keep their interest?

Did you watch the damn thing? With it's subtle references and actual game text relating to the original game?

They aren't trying to do a public service here, they want money.
And that money is now located in adults who have spending power of their own. That's a smart demographic to target.

I'm sorry mate, your position sounds willfully ignorant.

Yes, they want money, but not from people who are not interested in pokemon. They ARE NOT TRYING TO BRING BACK PEOPLE WHO WON'T SPEND MONEY ON THEIR PRODUCTS WHATSOEVER.

To be fair, they advertised as "To those who played the very first Pokemon games..." While it was probably for younger kids, they did have the original players in mind, and made it seem like they were the target audience this time around.

I don't think Game Freak really puts this much thought into their games. Sure, plenty of old fans might be rejoicing because of all the old pokemon or whatnot, but it is quite an assumption to claim that that was their intention.

I think a more likely scenario would be that gen VI is sort of a counterpart to gen V. Gen V gave a LOT of new pokemon, and in the beginning, absolutely NO old ones. Now, gen VI has a few new ones, and a lot of old ones. They're trying new things. doesn't really matter what pulls who in, they're going to have fans irregardless.

No, Gen V is the counterpart to Gen IV, not Gen VI. GameFreak had always said that Gen V was going to be a 'short generation,' and it was.

With Mega Evolution i feel they actualy pushed away Gen 1-3 fans even more away since most of the Gen 1-3 fans think GF butchered some of the pokemons of those gens by giving them mega evolutions.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom