• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon X and Y anime Opening and Ending

The opening is quite awesome, though the song isn't what I was hoping for. What I loved is that the opening practically confirms Serena will have Fennekin (can't wait to see her with Fennekin's fully evolved stage), Clemont will have Chespin (hopefully it will stay as Chespin the whole series) and Ash will have Froakie, as expected (hopefully it will be fully evolved before Ash reach the Kalos league).

Since Chespin is going to a minor character then its clear that the writers are not interested in marketing him (their loss) and he should become chesnaught as soon as possible.

Pikachu was cooler than usual, but was it just me or did he use Quick Attack on Honedge?

Considering who he has as a trainer I am not suprised. At all.

Now all we have to do is wait and see how the dub will cut it down to size. I'm expecting the usual 30 second montage in the male and female duet format and I won't be too surprised if I hear a song along the lines of "It's a new adventure, follow your heart, we belong together, friendship is key to our destiny, XY Pokémon!".

I wouldn't be surprised if most of those words are in the lyrics somewhere. I don't think they'll keep doing male/femaleduets, though. That seemed like they were playing on the opposites of Black and White that featured heavily in the early marketing for Gen V, and more of "BW series" thing that won't carry over.

As far as the Japanese song, it's probably the first since Symphonic Medley that I really don't like. It's just such a mess apart from the bridge between the verse and chorus at about 40 seconds. I mean... what is going on with the voice filter and the dub-season-10-opening-style-rap-but-not-actually-rap? I'm hoping they'll break trend and not keep the first opening forever like they have with every other new region (this song is no "OK!"). Or if they want to keep this animation for a while (you just know they want to reveal the Gym Leaders in those silhouettes as they appear), bring us a softer-sounding, V (2014) as soon as possible.

Edit: For the first opening of a new Generation... the opening is pretty light on Gen VI Pokemon.

Last edited:
The opening is great in my opinion, at the very least on the visual aspects of it. It could easily be one of my favorite openings visually. The song is kind of messy, though, but not bad at all.

Edit: For the first opening of a new Generation... the opening is pretty light on Gen VI Pokemon.

idk if you read XY game spoilers, but XY is all about the past gens rather than the actual new gen which was very neglected in all possible ways in favor of focusing on the old... the anime will probably reflect this, just as it reflected BW ignoring the past gens

As for the opening, I love both the song and animation and I am also more and more convinced that this cast is awesome and I love them all already <3

Is it just me or was the singer listing pokemon types by the end of the opening? I could have sworn that I heard "hono", "kaktou" and " hagane". (fire, fighting and steel respectively).
I kinda hate how boring the lyrics are, but again this is what I mostly like about pokemon songs tend to be about.

Heh, that whole sequence with everyone touching/grabbing Ash is something I would have expected to see in the final season of XY...not the first. :p

idk if you read XY game spoilers, but XY is all about the past gens rather than the actual new gen which was very neglected in all possible ways in favor of focusing on the old... the anime will probably reflect this, just as it reflected BW ignoring the past gens

That is not true at all. There are quite a lot of new Pokémon, a new region, new characters, new everything in XY, so you can't say "the new gen was very neglected in all possible ways in favor of focusing the old". The awesome thing about XY is that the games don't ignore the existence of older Pokémon like BW did, which is a terrific thing and thankfully the anime seem to be following that. Nothing bad about giving us a mix of the old and the new instead of only the new. But yeah, the opening was pretty light on new Pokémon. There are a lot of them and you can only see 10% of them at most in the opening.

I am happy they finnaly borke the 4th wall. Watching Clemont trying to work with his electronics was funny. but the scene when everyone was with ash, Bonnie looked a bit too happy if you ask me... but it was a good opening

Is it just me or was the singer listing pokemon types by the end of the opening? I could have sworn that I heard "hono", "kaktou" and " hagane". (fire, fighting and steel respectively).

There was also "doku" (poison) and "mizu" (water) near the beginning plus a few others, so it seems that way.

I really liked the opening so far as for animation is. Pikachu was cute at the start and the random Son Lucario at the end of the opening made me laugh :p Is it me or there are so many rival/enemies this season (judging by the amount of shadows shown at the opening)?

I'm kinda mixed about this opening. The song itself was all over the place musically and it had the same awkward/banal lyrics that most Japanese openings have ("yellow flowers are blooming" wtf?). Maybe I'll warm up to after I hear it with better sound quality.

The visuals were stunning, though. Unfortunately, I don't think this type of high quality animation will last throughout the series.

The song is.... okay. The visuals are where it's at, though. Those backgrounds are pretty... Quite a step up from BW.
Now I can't wait to see the opening with its proper frame-rate.

I really liked the opening so far as for animation is. Pikachu was cute at the start and the random Son Lucario at the end of the opening made me laugh :p Is it me or there are so many rival/enemies this season (judging by the amount of shadows shown at the opening)?

Those are Gym Leaders, actually, you can clearly see Clemont, Korrina, Viola and other yet to be officially revealed Gym Leaders (I couldn't find Grant, though).

That is not true at all. There are quite a lot of new Pokémon, a new region, new characters, new everything in XY, so you can't say "the new gen was very neglected in all possible ways in favor of focusing the old". The awesome thing about XY is that the games don't ignore the existence of older Pokémon like BW did, which is a terrific thing and thankfully the anime seem to be following that. Nothing bad about giving us a mix of the old and the new instead of only the new. But yeah, the opening was pretty light on new Pokémon. There are a lot of them and you can only see 10% of them at most in the opening.

69 isn't really "quite a lot" and then there's the fact gen 1 and the past gens in general are blatantly focused on rather than the actual new gen being the main thing... but we're probably getting off topic and wouldn't agree on it anyway so we should probably stop that
call it however you want, but point is the anime is just reflecting whatever the games are doing (and I never said what they're doing is necessarily bad, although a bit weird to me)

Opening seemed pretty trippy and adventurous bursting with various interesting scenes and characters. I liked how it portrayed each character in unique way such as Clemont and Bonnie as wacky duo with his crazy inventions often leading them into trouble. Serena looked alright and judging by how quickly she changes hats it seems she will be interested in fashion a lot.

Ash looks more determined and firm than ever seeming to radiate with lot of maturity and experience like it should be the case staying faithful to his growth and past experiences.

That Pikachu kissing camera looked adorable and new animation of iron tail looked pretty cool too.
Architecture depicting streets, small houses, towns, even food as something you would expect to find in France is another thing which i consider as big plus staying faithful to message of Kalos supposing to be region based on love, tasty cuisine and fashion.

Song was ok i guess but it seemed kinda dispersed and incoherent lacking that excitement and suspense of keeping you all pumped up and in expectation of new saga. Not catching liveliness of opening in most optimal way, at least for me.

[

As for the opening, I love both the song and animation and I am also more and more convinced that this cast is awesome and I love them all already <3

Im all for anime following games strategy of Kalos paying tribute to not just new but previous generations as well keeping them connected. Adding for more consistent story referencing and acknowledging past, older gen pokemon, previous events, maybe even characters through unexpected surprises playing relevant role again and getting update etc.(like past companions) adding credibility and more substance to anime living up to game message about bond and friendship this time around. Something BW was overall pretty scarse about.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom