• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon-amie: new bonding feature

I'm still not sure how to make it affect battles or in what way, and I'm not so interested in Sylveon, but it's a ridiculously cutesy time-waster nonetheless.

Just a slight issue: It has trouble recognizing my face in any light. I can't "go wide-eyed" or wink or smile enough for the camera to read it.

I believe you have to have affection to at least 3 hearts in order for it start affecting battle. I'm not sure because my only Pokemon right now that has a high Amie stat is my Sylveon who has it at maximum. The rest have it at 2 hearts and it doesn't affect them in battle at all. Something interesting always seems to happen with my Sylveon though at least once a battle, such as dodging moves and landing critical hits.

Also, that doesn't work for me either. I'm honestly not surprised it doesn't work. Things like vocal recognition and facial recognition have never really worked on any DS for me. :p I suggest just sticking with petting, feeding, and playing the mini-games. They serve the purpose well enough.

One thing I don't like so much about the battle quotes is that when one is on critical health it sometimes shows something like "It is almost going to cry". And then I feel guilty and spend much more Potions on them than I used to do.

Wait, you can do things in Amie with your face? How?

I assume the DS has to be a certain amount of distance away from your face. There will be like a little person icon in the bottom left corner of the touch screen and your Pokemon will start reacting. If you do the action your Pokemon is doing (like for instance it will tilt it's head) then the face thing will activate and you can do a little thing with your Pokemon where it will ask you to make certain facial expressions like winking or making kissy faces. Quite frankly, it does not work very well. :p

I've played with Beatrix, my Eevee (now a Sylveon) enough that he peeked out from the corner of the screen with a smile on his face, and thought it was adorable, and Maita, my Mienfoo (now a Mienshao) did the same. I'm trying to get all my team members to have about three hearts. I think Floatzel looks adorable in Amie, my Floatzel, named Jaina, makes a really big smile at me, and it makes me happy to see her.

Also, that yarn bounce game is addicting, I just cannot stop playing it.

It doesn't even register half the time I do it. And I doubt facial hair causes it to not work. It just doesn't. xDD

So while I just came out of a Head It game with Gardevoir, I left the 3DS to the side soo I can browse the forums. All of a sudden I hear a clap sound and see what looked like a ! sign above Gardevoir's head. Did it just try and get my attention, or am I crazy?

It doesn't even register half the time I do it. And I doubt facial hair causes it to not work. It just doesn't. xDD

My 3DS is always wiggling, which is why I think it never captures my face, and it's a pity, because I would like to see my Pokemon make more expressions because of this.

My 3DS is always wiggling, which is why I think it never captures my face, and it's a pity, because I would like to see my Pokemon make more expressions because of this.

I even tried putting it on a flat surface to see if that would change anything and it didn't.

I even tried putting it on a flat surface to see if that would change anything and it didn't.

I still have the stand I got when I bought Kid Icarus Uprising, so I may check later if that will work. Unfortunately, I'm the kind of person who cannot stay still most of the time.

I can pet my Absol... Nintendogs meets Pokemon. I officially love this generation.

I play Amie with my Drifloon (Loonie) and it's adorable how his entire body tilts. Can't wait to get a Swadloon and see what it looks like in Amie.

I also love the games in it too! It would be neat if you could sync up 3DS' and have your friend's Pokemon play with yours like Tamagotchi.

I am so addicting to the yarn game. It's one of the main reasons I use Amie.

My high score is 116. :<

The face recognition thing on my Amie works like half the time, but sometimes it's so awkward, especially when it says "Wink with your right eye!" because I can't wink my right eye, only my left. Sometimes I'll blink and that will count, other times I cover my right eye with my finger then remove it, and that will count as well.

Something interesting I discovered -- if you pet the wrong spot on an ice type like Amaura or Avalugg, your hand will freeze briefly xD

Something interesting I discovered -- if you pet the wrong spot on an ice type like Amaura or Avalugg, your hand will freeze briefly xD

They have that if you put your hand over Pikachu or Raichu's cheeks, except it electrifies them. Not sure if it work with other types yet.

I think I've been spending more time on Pokemon-Amie than I have playing the game. My Frogadier's at four hearts as is my Beedrill. And the animations for those two are so cute! I had my Beedrill Sting, popping up on the lower screen upside down as if saying, "Oh hello there!" I didn't think it was possible to make Beedrill even more adorable than it already is; this has proven me very wrong.

I so want a Golett so I can spoil the little guy. I'll bet it'll look so sickeningly cute...!
One thing I don't like so much about the battle quotes is that when one is on critical health it sometimes shows something like "It is almost going to cry". And then I feel guilty and spend much more Potions on them than I used to do.
O_O

On second thought, maybe it's a good thing I don't have a Golett. The protector instinct would rear its head almost immediately.

A few things I've noticed:

Kakuna doesn't have a fullness bar and if you give it a Poke Puff, it will not eat. You'll simply drop the puff while the Kakuna looks rather confused. I really hope that this is kept for Golett and Golurk. Also, Kakuna doesn't like being touched on the stomach. It only likes being rubbed on the head.

Do not touch the tuft of fur on Litleo's head or you will get burned. Also, don't pet it on the nose as it doesn't like that.

Petting a Beedrill's forearm stingers results in a defensive posture, so it seems safe to say that it doesn't want its stingers touched. It likes having its head rubbed, as well as its chest and lower abdominal region. I haven't tried touching the wings at all so I have no idea what may happen if you do.

Froakie will give you five if you hold your hand still long enough and that makes the little twerp pretty happy. It doesn't like having the white foam touched.

Pokemon who participate in the games but aren't in the Pokemon-Amie proper get more enjoyment than the one who is in there. I have a Bulbasaur with four full notes, as it helped with the Berry Picking game but it's affection and fullness haven't changed.

Once you hit three hearts, good things happen in battle. And they keep happening.

hmm.apparently,if you wanna deal with the face recognition issues,a good idea is to look at the camera,not the screen.guess that makes sense a bit.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom