• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M16: ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens ・ PK25: Pikachu and Eievui Friends

I like the fact that the Unova region is based on New York City and New Jersey with liberties taken, but with the basic geography, and the locations of key features being directly from the real life NYC metropolitan area, but in this movie, there's a city WITHIN Unova that's literally the New York City from OUR OWN WORLD just transplanted into the Pokémon World.

Mewtwo was literally standing on top of the Manhattan Bridge, but theoretically the Manhattan Bridge should be directly adjacent the Skyarrow Bridge.

They were in Central Park in the movie, but the Entralink area on the Unova map is also intended to mirror the location of Central Park in relation to a map of Manhattan.

Highly ironic, but extremely awesome.

I've already explained and posted canon Japanese materials of why this couldn't have happened countless of times, so I'll just keep it short and say no.

The creators of this Mewtwo were misc scientists that we never really learn anything about.

Oh, sorry. I didn't know you had already explained. Excuse me for just theorizing...

Isn't it funny how this movie takes place in New York City, and at the end of Mewtwo Returns, the original Mewtwo was seen in a vaguely New York-esque location?

I couldn't have been the only one who laughed my ass off, when axew passed sableye on that dwebble

hilarious!

Still can't believe how Sableye was put in the movie and served no purpose in it, and it also didn't get any special treatment such as an evolution or Mega Evolution in X and Y! Huge trolling from Game Freak/Pokemon Company part.

I've only seen the trailers, but I'm guessing the actual movie itself went with that weird Gensect pronunciation ("g" as in "gentle" as opposed to "g" as in "green") instead of the Japanese one?

Also, did New Tork City keep its name?

UnovaCastaway said:
-Was that just the TV cut, or is the intro really after that first scene with Mewtwo?

Here's what I wrote about the opening when the Japanese version came out in July:

Dogasu's Backpack said:
The producers of the movie played around with the format a bit. Usually it's Pikachu the Movie logo → World of Pokemon segment → cold opening → Pocket Monsters logo → Movie logo → Satoshi and his friends → opening theme, but this time they rearranged that. In this year's movie, it goes Pikachu the Movie logo → cold opening → Movie logo → World of Pokemon segment → Satoshi and his friends → opening theme. It was...kind of weird.

I've only seen the trailers, but I'm guessing the actual movie itself went with that weird Gensect pronunciation ("g" as in "gentle" as opposed to "g" as in "green") instead of the Japanese one?

Here's what I wrote about the opening when the Japanese version came out in July:

Dogasu's Backpack said:
The producers of the movie played around with the format a bit. Usually it's Pikachu the Movie logo → World of Pokemon segment → cold opening → Pocket Monsters logo → Movie logo → Satoshi and his friends → opening theme, but this time they rearranged that. In this year's movie, it goes Pikachu the Movie logo → cold opening → Movie logo → World of Pokemon segment → Satoshi and his friends → opening theme. It was...kind of weird.

the pronounced it like genocide

I like the fact that the Unova region is based on New York City and New Jersey with liberties taken, but with the basic geography, and the locations of key features being directly from the real life NYC metropolitan area, but in this movie, there's a city WITHIN Unova that's literally the New York City from OUR OWN WORLD just transplanted into the Pokémon World.

Mewtwo was literally standing on top of the Manhattan Bridge, but theoretically the Manhattan Bridge should be directly adjacent the Skyarrow Bridge.

Don't forget Times Square!

I remember PokéBeach saying back in July how a specific scene in the movie was reminiscent of 9/11 and would probably be cut out in the English Dub. Surprisingly, it wasn't. Honestly, I'm actually shocked Cartoon Network didn't choose to cut this scene.

Screenshot:
2i26agm.png

^ Yeah, I am a bit surprised that they kept that in. But considering it's been 12 years, maybe they felt it would be okay.

Maybe it was just me, but seeing Cilan's Crustle with a group of Dwebble "fan-mon" was hilarious. I cracked up laughing when I realized what was going on. XD

I hope that Sableye is a hint that someone will catch one in the near future like with Bonsly, Munchlax and Buizel, because I thought it was really cute. Other than that, I have almost nothing but complaints about this movie, but listing them all would be arduous and tiresome, so I won't bother.

This was an ok movie for me, not the best but not the worst either.

* It was very cute seeing the group of Dwebble admiring Cilan's Crustle and then it blushing.
* Odd how the movie didn't mention the name of the city and kept calling it "the city"
* Disappointed that Eric didn't really do too much throughout the movie.
* I enjoyed the battling between Mewtwo and the Red Genesect, though the way Red Genesect turned around so easily after Mewtwo explained the world to him was a bit confusing.
* Ash was pretty funny when riding the Douse Drive Genesect.
* I liked the intensity of the battle scenes with all of the Pokemon vs the group of Genesect.
* The Chansey recurring joke was pretty weird, since Chance and Luck can't really be used for the same meaning. I presume it was based off the Lucky jokes in the Japanese version. It was funny and cute though.

Meowstic said:
I remember PokéBeach saying back in July how a specific scene in the movie was reminiscent of 9/11 and would probably be cut out in the English Dub.

Like I said back in July...PokéBeach was wrong. "Buildings being destroyed" is not a 9/11 reference. "City on fire" is not a 9/11 reference. "Debris falling from a building" is not a 9/11 reference.

I honestly feel that the only people who are able to watch this movie and think "OMG 9/11!!!" are hypersensitive Americans looking for yet another reason to hate on this movie.

Meowstic said:
I remember PokéBeach saying back in July how a specific scene in the movie was reminiscent of 9/11 and would probably be cut out in the English Dub.

Like I said back in July...PokéBeach was wrong. "Buildings being destroyed" is not a 9/11 reference. "City on fire" is not a 9/11 reference. "Debris falling from a building" is not a 9/11 reference.

I honestly feel that the only people who are able to watch this movie and think "OMG 9/11!!!" are hypersensitive Americans looking for yet another reason to hate on this movie.

They didn't say reference, they said reminiscent. And you have to admit, it is reminiscent.

Meowstic said:

I'm Canadian (And I wasn't even told about 9/11 until years after it happened.) and 9/11 immediately came to mind when I saw that scene.

The city was never named, but I'm certain some parts of this film were cut for TV... the World of Pokemon intro was definitely cut down, and I think we lost the narrator intro too (at least the full closing credits were retained this time).

For trivia fans, Bill Rogers voiced Sableye (who, as mentioned, was a completely pointless addition to the film).

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom