• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kalos Legendary Trio Title Discussion Thread (New Poll)

Which name do you like?

• Total voters

Yamitora1

Old Man
Reaction score
New Development!

I recently acquired a copy of Pokémon Y, and while playing it I came across a man speaking about how 800 years ago Yveltal started killing people off one by one...similar to the Black Death. With this revelation, I no longer support (not that I really 100% did in the first place) any Norse or Celtic origin basis for the trio.

I now believe that Yveltal has basis on the Black Death and possibly the Plague Doctor Costume.

Human Y. pestis was responsible for the death of at least one-third of the European population between 1347 and 1353. The unsettling sight of the Plague Doctor's costume terrified people, believing it to be a sign of imminent death.

Has anyone heard, seen or read the Kalos Legendary being called by a title? Ie like how Ruby and Sapphire had the Golem and Weather Trios.

If not, what do you think their title should be?

Also, please post any names you might hear or see them being called.

Poll

Votes: 16
  1. Ragnarök Trio 0%
  2. Aura Trio 68.75%
  3. Life/Circle of Life Trio 6.25%
  4. Cartesian Trio 20.00%
  5. Balance Trio 0%

To vote, just post your answer in Bold. This will allow me to count the votes easier. This poll is only to gather further data, nothing else.

Here's a list of some names
  1. Euro Trio
  2. Norse Trio
  3. Ragnarok Trio
  4. Yggdrasil Trio
  5. Celtic Trio
  6. Circle of Life Trio
  7. Life Cycle Trio
  8. Mortality Trio
  9. Mortality Duo (Xerneas and Yveltal Only)
  10. Aura Trio
  11. Cartesian Trio
  12. Omegabet Trio
  13. Balance Trio
  14. Eco Trio
  15. Kalos Trio
  16. Coordinate Trio (Ie, the coordinates on a X-Y or X-Y-Z Axis.)
  17. XYZ Trio
  18. Omega Trio
  19. Axial Trio

News:
The Pokemon Wikia apparently has chosen to list the trio as the Life trio, and Xerneas and Yveltal as the Gene Duo. However, its a wikia so all things on a wikia should always be taken with salt... also it seems most of the info was added before the games release, as they implicate that Xerneas might be female and Yveltal male despite it already being debunked X and Y has nothing to do with DNA and that the two are genderless.

Please note that I will not add Axis Trio or Axis Power Trio to the list due to obvious reasons.

Useful links and materials:
The Lion King: Mufasa explains to Simba the Circle of Life
Transcript of Video
Mufasa: Look Simba, everything the light touches is our kindom!
Simba: Wow!
Mufasa: A king's time as ruler, rises and falls like the sun. One day Simba, the sun will set on my time here, and will rise with you as the new king.
Simba: And this will all be mine?
Mufasa: Everything.
Simba: Everything the light touches. What about that shadowy place?
Mufasa: That is beyond our borders, you must never go there Simba.
Simba: But I thought a king could do whatever he wants?
Mufasa: Oh there is more to being king then getting your way all the time.
Simba: There's more?
Mufasa: [laughs] Simba! Everything you see exists together, in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance and respect all the creatures. From the crawling ant, to the leaping antelope.
Simba: But dad, don't we eat the antelope?
Mufasa: Yes Simba, but let me explain. When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass; and so, we are all connected in the great circle of life.
Mortality
Cartesian Coordinate System
René Descartes
Black Death
Yersinia pestis
Plague Doctor
Plague Doctor Costume

Last edited:
Re: Kalos Legendary Trio Title

I already clicked the Circle of Life trio, but I wanna change it to Ragnarok trio.

#1: It sounds cooler
#2: It makes sense
#3: Germanic/Norse mythology is interesting and should be referenced.

Nature Trio. Life, death and the protector of the ecosystem fit that well me thinks.

Ragnarok Trio

because its a cycle, life destruction life destruction, that is what ragnarok means

Axises or plane trio :p

Axis Trio?

I think its kind of best not to use that first one. I mean if I were to hear "Axis Trio", I'd start to think about WWII's Axis powers...Kalos is based off France, which...yeah kind of got invaded in WWII.

Maybe Coordinate Trio?

Nature trio is the most fitting imo, and the easiest to remember haha!

I admit, my first thought was "Axis Powers". It kind of fits, what with X and Y representing axes and Kalos being based on France, with a bloodied, war-torn past. And the analogy of the legendaries representing the cycle of life, death and rebirth kind of fits in with the theme of war, insofar as Kalos was born anew from the ashes of some massive conflict in which many died, so...

The only thing is, because of all this, to call them the "Axis Powers" would be in very bad taste. It would work, but it wouldn't exactly be morally upstanding...

Ragnarok trio seems like a bit of cultural misplacement - the mythology and word are old norse, not at all related to the french-based Kalos.

Of those choices, both Twilight and Ragnarok are great. Either one could be best imo.

Other ideas, probably not as good: Nature, Coordinate, Plane, Coordinate Plane...

Can't we just call them the Kalos trio?

Unlike other trios, Xerneas, Yveltal & Zygarde haven't met in-game (or in any other media) yet. There's no canonical reasoning to link them as a 'trio' apart from they share part of an overall theme.

I'd wait to see what happens with the next game/s to see if they have some kind of canonical event.

Unlike other trios, Xerneas, Yveltal & Zygarde haven't met in-game (or in any other media) yet. There's no canonical reasoning to link them as a 'trio' apart from they share part of an overall theme.

Though they have yet to met officially, their motifs are clear: Xerneas distributes life, Yveltal reaps life and Zygarde monitors life.

Wait, what does "faire du velo" translate to?
"faire du vélo trio" apparently means "cycling trio". Is there another meaning or a secret reference that I'm not catching here...?

Cycling trio in the sense of "going around on a bycicle". Not "the cycle of life".

--------

HUGE "NO!" on Ragnarok trio. first off, because the Norse connection is a way overrated bit of Wild Mass Guessing that involve a very obscure set of Norse mythological figure (like...we're talking Random Background Extras of Norse mythology). Second, because EVEN if they're a cycle based on Norse mythology, they,re based on figures that by and large have little or nothing to do with Ragnarok - just figures that inhabit the world-tree Yggdrasil. So if you must use Norse mythology, go with Yggdrasil trio.

Beyond that, given that the whole legendary encounter take place in Kalos's equivalent to Brittany (aka Celtic Land), in the middle of the Kalos equivalent to Carnac (aka France's stonehenge, aka Druids in popular culture, aka Celtic priests) and that UNLIKE Norse mythology, Celtic mythology DOES have an association Deer (horned/antlered God) = God of the Cycle of Life, wilderness, nature, and an association Bird = Goddess of Death (Cernunnos - note the phonetic similarities - and The Morrigan, respectively), I think any claim of "obviously norse" requires a great deal of wilful blindness. Especially when (unlike the Norse extras), these are two of the best known Celtic deities out there.

There may be Norse influence, particularly in the choice of the third animal of the trio (but unless we get a fourth, Squirrel, legendary, we can't say for sure - Bird/Mammal/Reptile isn't exactly a rare or unique combination), but to present them as a Norse trio on that basis is foolish.

Last edited:

Ragnarok trio seems like a bit of cultural misplacement - the mythology and word are old norse, not at all related to the french-based Kalos.

But they're based on Norse mythology, and at some point in history France had its share of paganism.

Their abilities illustrate that Zygarde is the Trio Master. Despite having a type disadvantage to Xerneas, he nullifies and reverses their abilities.

Wait, what does "faire du velo" translate to?
"faire du vélo trio" apparently means "cycling trio". Is there another meaning or a secret reference that I'm not catching here...?
cycle/cycling as in cycle of life. plus Faire looks like Fairy (Xerneas' type) and velo kinda looks like the vel in Yveltal. Plus its french.

cycle/cycling as in cycle of life. plus Faire looks like Fairy (Xerneas' type) and velo kinda looks like the vel in Yveltal. Plus its french.
Ah, thanks for the clearing up.

But they're based on Norse mythology, and at some point in history France had its share of paganism.

CELTIC paganism, not Norse. And would you know it, they fit Celtic mythology just as well if not better than Norse mythology.

Except it really just doesn't mean that.

"Faire du vélo" is french for "Going around on a bicycle". It has zero, nilch, nada to do with actual cycles (of life, etc)

CELTIC paganism, not Norse. And would you know it, they fit Celtic mythology just as well if not better than Norse mythology.

Except it really just doesn't mean that.

"Faire du vélo" is french for "Going around on a bicycle". It has zero, nilch, nada to do with actual cycles (of life, etc)

1: Calm down please
2: So I might be mistaken, so what. It all blends in together. Who cares where what comes from. Pokémon is all about mixing and matching stuff and word puns despite context. There is no need to attack and pick apart it piece by piece. You're selecting your arguments and only seeing part of the picture.
3: I just was going with what Google Translate shot out, it doesn't have to be an exact translation or context. Again, word puns not necessarily context.

My part of the picture is that two of the names you proposed are what I feel are very bad names

1)"Ragnarok trio", because the Norse connection is very speculative at best (though it may still be true), AND even if it's true they are norse figures that have little to nothing to do with Ragnarok. IF a Norse name is indicated, Yggdrasil trio is much more linked to the alleged inspiration.

2)"Faire du vélo" trio because, as a Native french speaker myself, I'd have to cringe whenever I see that name used. I appreciate this isn't really your fault; you were misled by a Google translation, but to me, it'd be the equivalent of calling the "Beast" trio the "Stupid trio" (because Bêtes, the french translation for Beast, also means "Stupid").

I think "Circle of Life" is probably the best name of those you have proposed, though my personal preference might go to "Cycle Trio" or "Aura Trio" (in reference to them having either aura abilities or abilities that block them)

Back
Top Bottom