• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super Training

This looks like it could be a more fun way to train EV's as I often get board grinding EV's the old fashioned way.

I may give it a go every once in a while but I'm still not sure if I'll use it constantly. I rather prefer getting my hands dirty, though. I find the difficulty of EV training a bit fun, oddly enough.

Super Training: Questions, tips, advice

How has Super Training benefit you and your pokemon or has it not helped you at? Do you have any tips for other trainers on how to use it? Are you searching for advice or have questions? Post here.

(If there was a place for this already I'm sorry. I couldn't find it myself so I made this one.)

Does anyone know if super training is effective?

Last edited:
I enjoy this way more than the traditional way. Grinding for EVs was always boring and tedious for me. It also made me more willing to breed for IVs to get perfect stats in Pokemon, so the whole thing is more enjoyable for me.

Not sure how good it is for raising stats since I don't pay that much attention to stats but I think it is worth training one pokemon fully just to get the bonus levels that offer items as prizes.

Super Training has made EV training a million times easier, not to mention much faster and actually a bit more fun.

The Level 3 balloon games takes just a few seconds to finish once your Pokemon has leveled up a bit, and if you mess up or want to start over there's always the Reset Bag, which isn't too hard to get (got my first one in under 5 minutes when I wanted to reset the EVs for my Honedge). Resetting the EVs of a Pokemon doesn't feel annoying anymore either, because it takes very little time to train them up again (and in combination with a lot of Double-Up bags, training takes even less time). Before XY were released, I remember there being some concerns that we didn't get to see any actual numbers, but after each finished balloon game or Core Training bag you get see to how many EVs in whatever stat you got from it, so tracking is very easy. It's also easy to have control of how many EVs you want in a stat, as the three types of bags (S, M and L) gives you 1+, 4+ and 12+, respectively, and the balloon games (Level 1, 2 and 3) give you 4+, 8+ and 12+, respectively.

Repeatedly clicking for Core Training can get a bit boring (especially the L bags, though from my experiences the Soothing Bag is very slow to finish off), but the amount of time you actually save in comparison with the old way, there's really no reason to complain.

Also, beating your best times in the balloon games is addicting as hell (but that's my competitive/speed running mind kicking in, hehe).

Super Training has made EV training a million times easier, not to mention much faster and actually a bit more fun.

The Level 3 balloon games takes just a few seconds to finish once your Pokemon has leveled up a bit, and if you mess up or want to start over there's always the Reset Bag, which isn't too hard to get (got my first one in under 5 minutes when I wanted to reset the EVs for my Honedge). Resetting the EVs of a Pokemon doesn't feel annoying anymore either, because it takes very little time to train them up again (and in combination with a lot of Double-Up bags, training takes even less time). Before XY were released, I remember there being some concerns that we didn't get to see any actual numbers, but after each finished balloon game or Core Training bag you get see to how many EVs in whatever stat you got from it, so tracking is very easy. It's also easy to have control of how many EVs you want in a stat, as the three types of bags (S, M and L) gives you 1+, 4+ and 12+, respectively, and the balloon games (Level 1, 2 and 3) give you 4+, 8+ and 12+, respectively.

Repeatedly clicking for Core Training can get a bit boring (especially the L bags, though from my experiences the Soothing Bag is very slow to finish off), but the amount of time you actually save in comparison with the old way, there's really no reason to complain.

Also, beating your best times in the balloon games is addicting as hell (but that's my competitive/speed running mind kicking in, hehe).

So i have a flying type with weak sp.atk. does using super training raise it's sp.atk so that it shows in battle? What does super training actually do?

Super training is definitely easier for me and more fun than the traditional way. Having to KO the same pokemon 100 times gets really tedious while the super training mini games can at least keep you engaged. Once you get going, the games only take like 20 seconds to beat so I find it to be faster as well.

I don't really enjoy super training that much. The minigames are pretty boring. However, it's still better than killing the same Pokemon over and over again.

It's going to decrease the value of EV trained Pokemon in trades a bit, too. Not sure how I feel about that.

So i have a flying type with weak sp.atk. does using super training raise it's sp.atk so that it shows in battle? What does super training actually do?

Yes, but you're probably gonna want to train your pet in what its high base stats are. For example, the flying type Aerodactyl is a Physical sweeper with very high speed and high attack. Only EV train in Attack and Speed, because you want to buff up those stats the most. If he has a bunch of random EVs in other stats from fighting NPC trainers, his attack and speed won't be as great as they could be. Of course, train in what you want to but that's usually how it goes. It all depends on the Pokemon itself, some are special sweepers, some defensive walls, ect.

EV training gives Effort Values in certain stats, and those EVs raise the stat you're training in. It could make the difference in a stat being 240 to being 320, for example. There's also Natures and IVs but that's another story, though it ties in.

Also you get 510 total EVs, and 252 maxes out a stat. So you do 252 in one stat and 252 in another, and the few left over can go to anything, depends on the set and what other stat should get a little more buff. It'll tell you when a stat can't go any higher.

Last edited:
Also you get 510 total EVs, and 252 maxes out a stat.
Technically 255 is the max, but due to integer-rounding in the calculations, at Lv.100 252 maxes it out. (I still think the EV formula should be changed from EV/4 to (EV+1)/4 so that 255 does max it out period. It's not like those leftover 6 EV's will be relatively useful....)

Yes, but you're probably gonna want to train your pet in what its high base stats are.
On the other hand, the proportional increase from EV training is greater on low base stats. Who would benefit more from the extra +63 HP at Lv.100, a Blissey (base 620HP) or a Shuckle (base 150HP)? Percentagewise, the Blissey only sees a +10% return while the Shuckle gets +42%.

However, you'll most likely want to EV train in whatever stat your Pokemon has a positive Nature for (red stat), because EV's are included in the +10% Nature boost.

Last edited:
Technically 255 is the max, but due to integer-rounding in the calculations, at Lv.100 252 maxes it out. (I still think the EV formula should be changed from EV/4 to (EV+1)/4 so that 255 does max it out period. It's not like those leftover 6 EV's will be relatively useful....)

Actually, the new cap is 252, you cannot gain more than that. If you try, it simply sais "[Name]'s [stat] can't get higher" or something to that extent.
I've had occations when I've completed rank 3 and only gotten +4 or +8 in both main stats and still had 6 points over.

So you will not waste EV-points, even if you deliberatly try.

Yes, but you're probably gonna want to train your pet in what its high base stats are.
On the other hand, the proportional increase from EV training is greater on low base stats. Who would benefit more from the extra +63 HP at Lv.100, a Blissey (base 620HP) or a Shuckle (base 150HP)? Percentagewise, the Blissey only sees a +10% return while the Shuckle gets +42%.

However, you'll most likely want to EV train in whatever stat your Pokemon has a positive Nature for (red stat), because EV's are included in the +10% Nature boost.

....and I still don't know what I'm doing.:boom::confused::confused: I'm sorry to ask like this but could someone break it down to simple terms for me? Does super training raise a pokemon's stat in battle? will you see results if you only super train or do you also need the medicines to help make it work? (ie: protein, iron, ect.) I mean I was training a pidgeotto trying to raise it's Sp. Atk power (its shaded blue so i know it's gonna be weak) but i saw no results even after substantial training.:bawl: Why is that?

....and I still don't know what I'm doing.:boom::confused::confused: I'm sorry to ask like this but could someone break it down to simple terms for me? Does super training raise a pokemon's stat in battle? will you see results if you only super train or do you also need the medicines to help make it work? (ie: protein, iron, ect.) I mean I was training a pidgeotto trying to raise it's Sp. Atk power (its shaded blue so i know it's gonna be weak) but i saw no results even after substantial training.:bawl: Why is that?

i believe that this doesn't immediatley increases the stat, but it makes the pokemon increase it more than it normally would in each level up.if im not mistaken when you level up your pidgeotto you'll probably see his sp atk increasing more than his others stats. its not that if you put 252 EV you'll have 60 points higher that stat right away, they add up as you level up

i believe that this doesn't immediatley increases the stat, but it makes the pokemon increase it more than it normally would in each level up.if im not mistaken when you level up your pidgeotto you'll probably see his sp atk increasing more than his others stats. its not that if you put 252 EV you'll have 60 points higher that stat right away, they add up as you level up

OMG! THANK YOU! I finally freaking get it! Thank you so much! *^_^*

will you see results if you only super train or do you also need the medicines to help make it work? (ie: protein, iron, ect.)

No, you do not need Vitamins to make it work. Actually, you can't even get Vitamins in XY, because Super Training (the balloon games) and Core Training (the bags) replaces their purpose entirely.

Had to edit the entire post because I messed up the quotes, haha.

will you see results if you only super train or do you also need the medicines to help make it work? (ie: protein, iron, ect.)

No, you do not need Vitamins to make it work. Actually, you can't even get Vitamins in XY, because Super Training (the balloon games) and Core Training (the bags) replaces their purpose entirely.

Had to edit the entire post because I messed up the quotes, haha.

But I've found HP up and PP up to which by your logic I could see why PP up would still exist but then why HP up when you can raise HP stat in super training?

Actually, you can't even get Vitamins in XY, because Super Training (the balloon games) and Core Training (the bags) replaces their purpose entirely.

You can still get all the vitamins. They're in one of the pokecenters, I don't remember which.

Actually in Gen V EV increases were applied immediately (no box trick required), however the end result of EV's are still scaled with a Pokemon's level. E.g. if you invest 200 EV's into a single stat, a Pokemon will get an extra +1 point for every two levels (so a Lv.10 Pokemon will see a net +5 increase, a Lv.100 Pokemon will have a net +50 increase). So you may not notice it when the Pokemon actually levels up and you're shown the stat increases, but over time, if you compare it to an untrained Pokemon (of the same species/level) the differences will be obvious.

Another quick example: If you have a Lv.50 Pokemon, you can literally see a +1 point increase every time you complete a Lv.2 Super Training regimen (at Lv.50 you get +1 for every 8 EV's).

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom