• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
About Fairy Pokemon

Maybe, I missed something. But I feel that the game should have gone into a little more detail about how the discovery of fairy type pokemon came about. The only thing I gotten so far is I found out that fairy pokemon is assoicated with life giving energy (Xerneas), the moon, sweets and smell (Swirlix and Spritzee) and so on. Do you think that the creators will address this issue later in this generation?

I don't understand the thought process they used for deciding which things became Fairy and which didn't. Obviously some of the Fairy wishlists were a little too optimistic, but how is Whimsicott a Fairy but not Bellossom (verdict's still out on Lilligant I think, but if SHE isn't either... *shakes fist*)? How are Mr. Mime and Wigglytuff more Fairy-like than Chansey? The Chansey thing in particular grinds my gears because it feels like the only reason they had for not making Chansey's line into Fairies is because they were scared of the rage from competitive battlers if Blissey became immune to Dragon. Flavor-wise it makes no sense for Chansey and Blissey not to be, though, considering they only appear in the Fairy egg group and their other Gen I pink blob counterparts are now Fairy. Ugh.

More Fairy Types

With the advent of the new fairy type, several old Pokemon have been reclassified as fairy type. However, due to the fact that X and Y are currently unhackable and Pokemon Bank does not come out until December, it's possible that there are more old Pokemon that are now fairy types. Do you think there are more fairy types? And if so what do you think they could be?

Nope, Mismagius is still pure Ghost-typed.

Not that I don't believe you, but how do we know if misdreavus and mismagius are unavailable? I'm jut trying to figure out how they could see the typing if it's not even in the game...

Duh, he obviously works for GF.

But Mismagius fits it way more than half the others.

Do we know if Lilligant is Fairy? Especially with Whimsicott being Fairy and Quiver Dance (Fairies stereotypically have Butterfly Wings), I hope so.

And I'll face palm if the Lake Trio, name after Fairy-Like creatures (Pixie, what Uxie is based off, is the name of the Fairy Type Plate, so....) aren't Fairy. Same goes for the Lunar Duo, but mostly Cresselia. Moonblast and Moonlight are Fairy.

And at least Celebi out of the event Pixies should be Fairy. It's based on one, after all. If it was up to me, all of them except Mew would swap Psychic for Fairy, maybe not Victini though, and Manaphy should gain it.

Just my opinion.

Someone feel free to use that Slowpoke meme if this has been mentioned already, but I don't remember it being leaked and it hasn't been mentioned in this thread since XY's release, so I'll bring it up: Flying-type moves are no longer super effective against ground types; instead they inflict normal damage. Flying-type Pokemon are still immune to ground-type moves, however (without the use of gravity-affecting moves, of course). Since the weakness to flying moves made sense to me, does anyone have any ideas as to why that was changed? I'm not a competitive battler, but were ground types unusable because of this particular weakness or something? Flying types don't really seem that overpowered to me (three weaknesses and all), so this is the only reason I can think of.

Someone feel free to use that Slowpoke meme if this has been mentioned already, but I don't remember it being leaked and it hasn't been mentioned in this thread since XY's release, so I'll bring it up: Flying-type moves are no longer super effective against ground types; instead they inflict normal damage. Flying-type Pokemon are still immune to ground-type moves, however (without the use of gravity-affecting moves, of course). Since the weakness to flying moves made sense to me, does anyone have any ideas as to why that was changed? I'm not a competitive battler, but were ground types unusable because of this particular weakness or something? Flying types don't really seem that overpowered to me (three weaknesses and all), so this is the only reason I can think of.
Flying was never super effective against Ground, it has always inflicted normal damage to Ground since Gen 1.

Oh goodness, I feel like a dimwit now. I absolutely could have sworn that I've seen flying moves be super effective against ground types before. Maybe I just had a bunch of OHKOs against ground types by flying moves and assumed it was super effective? I'll just go slink away in shame now... :p

Re: More Fairy Types

With the advent of the new fairy type, several old Pokemon have been reclassified as fairy type. However, due to the fact that X and Y are currently unhackable and Pokemon Bank does not come out until December, it's possible that there are more old Pokemon that are now fairy types. Do you think there are more fairy types? And if so what do you think they could be?

I think we know most if not all of the Fairies at this point, most of the Pokemon people speculated as Fairies have either been confirmed or denied at this point, the only exceptions IIRC are Milotic, and the older legendaries. I think the only ones that have much of a chance at this point are some of the older legendaries, most likely the Pixie trio, Cresselia, and maybe Manaphy at best.

Not that I don't believe you, but how do we know if misdreavus and mismagius are unavailable? I'm jut trying to figure out how they could see the typing if it's not even in the game...

It's been found at the Friend Safari, as has Lilligant. Some of the Pokemon had to be found there before we could determine their typings (Togepi was another one, we didn't know it was Fairy until later because it's only found there as well). I'm not sure if they've found all of the Pokemon that can be found there, but if it can't be found there, we're probably going to have to wait until Bank comes out to determine whether or not it's a Fairy. We're not going to know that the list of Fairies is complete until then.

Last edited:
Oh goodness, I feel like a dimwit now. I absolutely could have sworn that I've seen flying moves be super effective against ground types before. Maybe I just had a bunch of OHKOs against ground types by flying moves and assumed it was super effective? I'll just go slink away in shame now... :p

They claimed this in the anime during the Pidgeotto vs Sandshrew fight, so it's no surprise that you think this. It's more of that early installment weirdness.

Ok in my opinion Fairy shouldn't resist Dark and Bug, i understand that they made Fairy super effective against Dark to give Sableye and Spiritomb an actual weakess but Fairy should have just taken normal damage from Dark because Dark is already pretty bad offensively and now that Fairy also resists Bug it made Bug type the type that's the most resisted in type chart with seven types resisting Bug basically making it pretty much useless offensively.

Ok in my opinion Fairy shouldn't resist Dark and Bug, i understand that they made Fairy super effective against Dark to give Sableye and Spiritomb an actual weakess but Fairy should have just taken normal damage from Dark because Dark is already pretty bad offensively and now that Fairy also resists Bug it made Bug type the type that's the most resisted in type chart with seven types resisting Bug basically making it pretty much useless offensively.
I know! Defensively it's OP as hell. God, its only 2 weaknesses were two of the crappiest offensive pokemon there are: Poison and Steel

I know! Defensively it's OP as hell. God, its only 2 weaknesses were two of the crappiest offensive pokemon there are: Poison and Steel
I actualy like the fact it's weak against two of the most underused types offensively, basically made pokemon like Drapion, Toxicroak, Skuntank, Aggron and Bisharp into menacing threats and pokemon like Gengar, Lucario and Scizor into even bigger threats.

I actualy like the fact it's weak against two of the most underused types offensively, basically made pokemon like Drapion, Toxicroak, Skuntank, Aggron and Bisharp into menacing threats and pokemon like Gengar, Lucario and Scizor into even bigger threats.
Yes, certainly is a good thing. But it needs MORE weaknesses imo.

the weakness to poison and steel are great because those were offensively bad types, but the resistance to dark and specially bug... bug had it pretty hard as it was, another thing resisting it wasn't really necesary

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom