• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kalos Legendary Trio Title Discussion Thread (New Poll)

Which name do you like?

• Total voters
Re: Kalos Legendary Trio Title

Huh, would have never caught the Norse mythology reference without this thread!

To be fair it could also be celtic/druid. I need to do some research to that affect.

@Evil Figment : I'm having trouble finding a strong Celtic origin other then Xerneas' name. In fact, other then that, it seems they're heavily based, albeit with some artistic license on Norse mythology. Any suggestions?

@Evil Figment : I'm having trouble finding a strong Celtic origin other then Xerneas' name. In fact, other then that, it seems they're heavily based, albeit with some artistic license on Norse mythology. Any suggestions?

google - celtic deer god

Trees for Life - Mythology and Folklore of Deer

Cernunnos and the Forest Gods - Celtic Wisdom

That's not the problem, I'm set on Xerneas, its the other two that I am having difficulties with. I look up eagle or snake and I get a bunch of references to medication and totems, but nothing that says celtics had a killing bird and a serpent that brought order.

CELTIC paganism, not Norse. And would you know it, they fit Celtic mythology just as well if not better than Norse mythology.

Because of the geographical location I'm inclined to agree with you. But I personally believe that basing legendaries on a single source is way below GF's artistic ambitions. I couldn't find any other discussion on the subject since after the reveal of Zygarde but considering this is a trio, could you lay down the ground for him in Celtic mythology? An underground serpent fits very well in the purpose already believed to be the base for Yveltal and Xerneas in Norse mythology.

google - celtic deer god

Trees for Life - Mythology and Folklore of Deer

Cernunnos and the Forest Gods - Celtic Wisdom

That's not the problem, I'm set on Xerneas, its the other two that I am having difficulties with. I look up eagle or snake and I get a bunch of references to medication and totems, but nothing that says celtics had a killing bird and a serpent that brought order.

you are forgetting the rule in pokemon design, there isn't only one origin for the pokemon design, most are a collection of several somethings.

Re: Kalos Legendary Trio Title Discussion Thread

Don't look for "eagle", Yveltal is about as eagle-like as Murkrow.

Yveltal is a bird- a black bird - and that leads toward crows and ravens, animals associated with the Morrigan.

Cartesian Trio. It may just be my inner math geek coming out, but it was confirmed that the x/y titles came from the co-ordinate system and Rene Descartes was french if memory serves.

Cartesian Trio. It may just be my inner math geek coming out, but it was confirmed that the x/y titles came from the co-ordinate system and Rene Descartes was french if memory serves.

I see, very nicely done! I will add that to the list right away!

Yggdrasil Trio!

Brilliant! Sounds great!

Brilliant! Sounds great!

I'm a little concerned that it might be too late tho. I'm looking at the post and the poll, and it would seem Ragnarok Trio is very popular. Fortunately there is no hurry to name these guys, and that a true Trio name should be as widely accepted as possible. Maybe we can get the admins to make a special voting thread based off the 2-5 best names.

I think Cartesian Trio is perfect. It makes sense to name the X, Y and Z legendaries this. It might just be that I'm not into to much mythology, or maybe that I'm a little biased towards maths, but I think it's the perfect name and voted for it.

I'm not being rude or anything, but it doesn't really matter what happens on the pole, seeming the name will only probably be used on this forum and maybe the main wiki and it's not like it's going to become the name every Pokémon fan uses unlike past generations until a more official name is released.

Cartesian Trio does sound more eloquent than Ragnarok Trio.

I'm not being rude or anything, but it doesn't really matter what happens on the pole, seeming the name will only probably be used on this forum and maybe the main wiki and it's not like it's going to become the name every Pokémon fan uses unlike past generations until a more official name is released.

So? I'm not trying change the world with giving them a name that may or may not be used outside of the Bulbapedia sites. Its just nice calling them something, even if no two people call them the same thing.

The next version(s) could come out in two years and we'd still be discussing their name, and that's fine. Its part of the fandom.

This generation is unlike any generation before it, rather or not the trio or duo get themselves names isn't as important as playing the games, having fun and catching them all ;)

Cartesian Trio does sound more eloquent than Ragnarok Trio.
It is a nice, elegant name that does their theme justice.

Twilight Trio

Dear Arceus no...

Ragnarok Trio

Um... why? Is Loki apart of the trio or something? Otherwise this make no sense to me. The legendaries aren't even trying to start Ragnarok or the twilight of the gods, this fandom just jumped all over the Norse mythos without very much understanding of them honestly. I'd support Celtic lore a lot more over this, though Xerneas reminds me of the Yggdrasil tree of life myth at least.

Circle of Life Trio

Too cliche, and they should never be called the "Life" trio because that emphasizes Xerneas over it's Death/Destructive counterpart Yveltal. "Aura trio" just honestly doesn't work. No one ever calls the Tao trio the Overdrive trio, so I'm not calling them the aura trio either. Just stick to Mortality Trio, which is what makes the most sense by far. Xerneas grants immortality while Yveltal is at the opposite end and takes it away. Zygarde keeps both (supposedly) in check and represents the natural order. Death or destruction is sometimes necessary for new life to take place, which is why Xerneas needs to be kept in check as much as Yveltal. Its all about the balance of life and all that jazz.

Dear Arceus no...

Ragnarok Trio

Um... why? Is Loki apart of the trio or something? Otherwise this make no sense to me. The legendaries aren't even trying to start Ragnarok or the twilight of the gods, this fandom just jumped all over the Norse mythos without very much understanding of them honestly. I'd support Celtic lore a lot more over this, though Xerneas reminds me of the Yggdrasil tree of life myth at least.

Circle of Life Trio

Too cliche, and they should never be called the "Life" trio because that emphasizes Xerneas over it's Death/Destructive counterpart Yveltal. "Aura trio" just honestly doesn't work. No one ever calls the Tao trio the Overdrive trio, so I'm not calling them the aura trio either. Just stick to Mortality Trio, which is what makes the most sense by far. Xerneas grants immortality while Yveltal is at the opposite end and takes it away. Zygarde keeps both (supposedly) in check and represents the natural order. Death or destruction is sometimes necessary for new life to take place, which is why Xerneas needs to be kept in check as much as Yveltal. Its all about the balance of life and all that jazz.

1: Not that twilight...if you think about those movies, a Phinone dies. Sparkling Vampires kill Phinone! TT_TT

Twilight: The period when Light and Dark (day and night) are balanced and in order. Xerneas is Light, Yvetal Darkness and Zygarde a mixture of both, Twilight.

2: Read the reasoning and evidence on the front page. There is lots of things supporting a Norse Mythology connection despite France having more of a Celtic history. At the moment, Only Xerneas' name seems to point to Celtic origin until I or someone else can find the evidence saying otherwise.

Plus you have to take into account that GameFreak likes to mix and match. In Norse Mythology the serpent(s) brings forth Ragnarok, but GameFreak could have easily gave that role to the bird. Also, just because Zygarde is the Order Pokémon, doesn't mean he wouldn't snuff out tons of life to save the environment. Not sure if you ever watched Gundam 00, but the basis of it was gundam pilots attacked all sides to put a end to war. Good bad, if you were in a war they would finish it. I think Zygarde could easily be like that, where life or death, it attacks both sides equally to achieve its goal. Takes no sides because it is on its own side.

In the end, Ragnarok is just a reset button, just like mass extinctions.

Also, I'm going take twilight down because no one seems to be able to understand it.

To Thread Viewers:
Oh and to anyone else, I am removing nature trio. The reason being is that the Kami Trio lay claim to it...greedy trio, taking multiple names.

Last edited:

As stated in an earlier post, the trio's motifs are centered on 'life' so a name relating to is better suited. 'Morality' does not stick. 'Essence' or 'vital' maybe, however, I am leaning towards the latter.

reason: watches an unhealthy amount of medical drama, pun intended.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom