• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Limited attack animations

Summary/Battle Animations

Something I noticed in XY was that, while most Pokemon have 2 battle animations (seems to be a contact attack and a more general animation like roaring/casting for most) that can be seen when you tap them in the Summary screens, certain Pokemon have 1, 3, or 4. I thought this would be a neat little thing to add in Trivia sections or something on Bulbapedia, so I figured I'd start compiling them here.

1 Animation:
-Caterpie
-Kakuna
-Magikarp
-Ditto
-Kabuto
-Igglybuff
-Sunkern
-Pupitar
-Seedot
-Nincada
-Shedinja
-Carvanha
-Spoink
-Trapinch
-Barboach
-Chimecho
-Beldum
-Burmy
-Budew
-Chingling
-Munna
-Musharna
-Vanillite
-Litwick
-Scatterbug
-Spewpa
-Shield Forme Aegislash
-Sword Forme Aegislash (not viewable in Summary)

3 Animations:
-Venusaur/Charizard/Blastoise
-Smeargle (one is only used for its signature move)
-Blaziken
-Lucario
-Abomasnow
-All Rotom forms (each form has its own set of 3 animations)
-Reuniclus
-Ferrothorn
-Chandelure
-Haxorus
-Volcarona
-Fennekin (seems to be the only not-fully evolved starter with 3)
-Chesnaught/Delphox/Greninja (I think each has an animation exclusively used for their signature move)
-Pangoro
-Noivern

4 Animations:
-Pikachu
-Dragonite
-Articuno
-Zapdos
-Moltres
-Mewtwo
-Florges
-Xerneas (though only 1 is viewable in the summary for some reason)
-Yveltal
-Zygarde

Last edited:
Bulbasaur uses it's vines during tackle.. doesn't for vine whip though, if i recall, that was definitely odd.

I really liked all the animations, and it didn't bother me that there weren't too many of them. My favorite was Delphox's animation for Mystical Fire. I never got tired of watching it. Fly was a lot of fun, too, and Bounce was amusing.

Re: Summary/Battle Animations

Something I noticed in XY was that, while most Pokemon have 2 battle animations (seems to be a contact attack and a more general animation like roaring/casting for most) that can be seen when you tap them in the Summary screens, certain Pokemon have 1, 3, or 4. I thought this would be a neat little thing to add in Trivia sections or something on Bulbapedia, so I figured I'd start compiling them here.

1 Animation:
-Ditto
-Sunkern
-Pupitar
-Nincada
-Barboach
-Trapinch
-Chingling
-Litwick
-Vanillite

Aegislash also has only 1 viewable animation in its Summary, but it has another 1 for its Sword Forme, obviously.

3 Animations:
-Fennekin (seems to be the only not-fully evolved starter with 3)
-Venusaur/Charizard/Blastoise
-Chesnaught/Delphox/Greninja (I think each has an animation exclusively used for their signature move)
-Smeargle (one is only used for its signature move)
-Ferrothorn
-Noivern

4 Animations:
-Pikachu
-Mewtwo
-Dragonite/Tyranitar/Salamence/Metagross/Hydreigon/Goodra (I don't have a Garchomp yet)
-Yveltal
-Zygarde

Florges also has 4.

I do not know if they will add more animations for "Z" or not, but I think they could if they wanted to. They don't have to build the models from the ground up like they did with X and Y so that's definitely a plus.

I can confirm that Doublade has 3 animations, and IIRC, Honedge has 2.

Re: Summary/Battle Animations

1 Animation:
-Ditto
-Sunkern
-Pupitar
-Nincada
-Barboach
-Trapinch
-Chingling
-Litwick
-Vanillite

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've tried by tapping the model it seems that Shedinja also have only one animation. I haven't tried it in a battle, so I'm not sure.

Fly was a lot of fun, too, and Bounce was amusing.
Fly doesn't really have much of an animation, but it's awesome to watch every time just the same.

Charizard uses the same animation as Flamethrower before popping up into the air.

You sort of get a feeling he's shouting "UP YOURS, MOTHER[BLEEP]!" or something along those lines.

Does Delphox have a unique animation for Mystical Fire? D8 Doesn't she do the same thing she does with other special attacks: take out her wand and point it at the foe?

Does Delphox have a unique animation for Mystical Fire? D8 Doesn't she do the same thing she does with other special attacks: take out her wand and point it at the foe?
Instead of pointing the wand at foes it twirls the wand when using Mystical Fire, so yeah.

I love the camera angle on Blizzard it looks awesome and Icicle Crash also looks pleasantly awesome. (also have you seen Brave Bird! :D) You guys also have to understand they probably sacrificed animation for speed. The battles have a pretty damn good pace that the other 3D games lack (battle Revolution ugh).

You guys also have to understand they probably sacrificed animation for speed.
Speed is not the problem, more like storage space on the game ROM and development time to create multiple animations for each of 700+ models (including some forme changes).

I thought it was hilarious that Blaziken has unique animations for moves like slash/sky uppercut, but doublekick? He just bounces. It's a Pokemon known for its kicking.

Aside from a few quirks where the animations didn't fit well with the moves, I am fairly satisfied with them. Though it would have been nice if lucario could do a kamehameha pose with aura sphere/shadow ball...

Pokemon animation aside, I was disappointed that gym leaders didn't have animations while all members of team flare did! Made the battles even less climactic than they were already.

I thought it was hilarious that Blaziken has unique animations for moves like slash/sky uppercut, but doublekick? He just bounces. It's a Pokemon known for its kicking.

I think all moves that hit many times just have the Pokemon bounce. Nidoran just bounces to Fury Attack. Same for Stunky to Fury Swipes. I find that pretty odd, that they just don't scratch multiple times like in PBR, but...whatever...

I forget if it was Hammer Arm or Wood Hammer (probably the former), but the animation looked bad on Chesnaught. He basically was in hold position and just turned...

I traded for a Charizardite X and I find MegaZard Y looks tons better in battle. X kinda just floats there but Y flaps its awesomely large torn up wings. MegaZard Y's cry sounds a lot more badass and threatening too. I do like them both, as they serve different purposes but the animation on Y just looks cooler.

I like Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse on Lucario. Looks super cool.

Pokemon animation aside, I was disappointed that gym leaders didn't have animations while all members of team flare did! Made the battles even less climactic than they were already.
Yeah, Gym Leaders used the Sugimori art just like other NPC trainers, so no 3D models or animations here. It's probably also why you don't get in-battle quips from them like we had in gens 4 and 5.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom