• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
I'd say Blissey is the most curious one that wasn't retconned, due to it seeming like a sure candidate that fit well with the aspects of the type (that don't involve being mischievous, of course).

Since Blissey symbolizes mother's love / the unwavering kindness of nurses, I think that it seems fitting for Blissey not to be retconned. It shows that even if you are normal, if you have pure love things would turn magical. That or maybe they got scared at the idea of Blissey being normal/ fairy

So what other Pokemon are being, expected to be changed? Pokemon Bank isn't out so it would be interesting as we can't get all 700 and something Pokemon yet.

I would actually like to see Maganium be part Fairy.

I think we've got the entire list of Fairies at this point, and if anyone else would be retyped, it probably wouldn't be Meganium. The only thing Meganium really has going for it is that it's a healer, and as we've seen with stuff like Blissey, Audino, and Alomomola, that's not really enough for a retype.

Looks like we got them all but I was just checking (I still like my idea of Meganium being part Fairy).

Although no changed into a Fairy my friend said to me about Thyplosion being Fire/Dark. I personally don't believe it though.

One of the funniest/worst things about the fairy type is that none of the fairy type Pokémon even look or act like fairies.

Floette looks like a Grass type.

Quite honestly, Floette, and by extension that whole line, should have been Fairy/Grass. It's crazy how that line learns more Grass type moves than moves of it's own type. I actually thought Floette was part Grass because of it.

I can see why Flabebe and Floette were just Fairy, as they're only holding onto the flower, but I was baffled that Florges wasn't Fairy/Grass. It's completely merged with the flower :/

I can see why Flabebe and Floette were just Fairy, as they're only holding onto the flower, but I was baffled that Florges wasn't Fairy/Grass. It's completely merged with the flower :/

I know! I thought it was also a Grass-Type :(

I'm even more surprised that Cresselia remains pure Psychic even though Moonblast and Moonlight are Fairy-type moves.

Game Freak logic.

Fairy type sure threw me off at first when I forgot Dragon types don't work on them.

I still forget that Fairy type can defeat Dark and Fighting.

I still forget that Fairy type can defeat Dark and Fighting.

I effing know!!! fighting type getting a new weakness? Just why?! I can see why dragons needed a new weakness, they are hard to counter.
but almost every pokemon learns at least 1 Flying/Psychic attack! so why nerf fighting types?
Also fairy types are inmortal unless you have a Physical sweeper, maybe thats why I keep fighting so many Scizor with bullet punch on Random Matchup

It won't matter if Cresselia ends up being able to use those moves though.

It kind of does, really. A type change significantly affects a Pokemon's usability. Cresselia gaining Fairy type would've meant that it would've lost its weakness against Dark, take even less damage from Fighting, gain a Dragon immunity, and gain a weakness to Steel, all of that would change how and when you would use it.

It won't matter if Cresselia ends up being able to use those moves though.

It kind of does, really. A type change significantly affects a Pokemon's usability. Cresselia gaining Fairy type would've meant that it would've lost its weakness against Dark, take even less damage from Fighting, gain a Dragon immunity, and gain a weakness to Steel, all of that would change how and when you would use it.

Yes, but I think the assertion for why it should be Fairy is a bit silly. It doesn't need to be fairy-type Pokemon just because a few moves it could potentially use are fairy-typed and related to the moon. You get me?

Maybe the reason they didn't make Cresselia into a fairy is because they didn't want to affect its dynamics with Darkrai? Of course, its current type dynamics don't make sense--Darkrai has the advantage over Cresselia even though Cresselia is supposed to be the one who has the power to disperse Darkrai's nightmares. Becoming fairy not only makes sense because of the moon's association with fairies and Cresselia being the moon Pokemon but also because of its interactions with Darkrai.

Yes, but I think the assertion for why it should be Fairy is a bit silly. It doesn't need to be fairy-type Pokemon just because a few moves it could potentially use are fairy-typed and related to the moon. You get me?

It's more than that. Fairy makes sense for Cresselia because of its connection to the moon and magic.

There's still hope for it, though, we could eventually get a Psychic/Fairy Mega Cresselia, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

A couple of Grass-types can learn Dazzling Gleam, hopefully in the future more Grass types get Fairy-type moves. It would really help with their coverage.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom