• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY005: The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Viviyon's Dance Battle!!

Winterdaze

fight me
Reaction score
Animation Team Kato
Screenplay Shinzō Fujita
Storyboard Shigeru Ueda
Assistant director Takahiro Ikezoe
Animation director Izumi Shimura

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: REVIEW: XY005: "The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Bibiyon's Dance Battle!!"

the first marriage proposal goes to viola. and rejected.

serena being so choked up around ash almost broke my heart. it was overwhelmingly cute.

nice ep! and well animated.

Re: REVIEW: XY005: "The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Bibiyon's Dance Battle!!"

Poor Clemont, he doesn't want to get married, but also gets rejected :D

The episode was nice, Ash was very emotional after his loss. Another nice episode :)
Can someone tell what did Alexa say to Viola when they were looking at Ash's photos?

Poor Clemont, he doesn't want to get married, but also gets rejected :D

The episode was nice, Ash was very emotional after his loss. Another nice episode :)
Can someone tell what did Alexa say to Viola when they were looking at Ash's photos?

they discussed how ash has a strong tie with pikachu, but viola said "his battling is so-so". to which alexa responded that basically she thinks her sister might be surprised next time. viola looked disconcerted by this.

I love that Satoshi is going back to training again. I always liked the AG / DP style of going through his opponents' known moves and working to counter them and hope we see more of this in the future.

I also really liked how Satoshi already pretty much knew that all the Joi in the Kalos region would look identical.

I hope the Citron pulling Eureka away doesn't become too much of a running gag.

I missed the Rocket trio :(

I also really liked how Satoshi already pretty much knew that all the Joi in the Kalos region would look identical.

I missed the Rocket trio :(

It's such a refresher to have him actually remember stuff from his earlier travels after having to put up with 'Rookie Satoshi' from BW who was surprised at the fact despite having gone through five regions filled with identical Joys.

As for Team Rocket... if they're not going to bring anything to the episode, then I'd rather the time be spent developing Satoshi and his Pokemon instead of having them turn up and do a pratfall.

Last edited:

Dat shipping ending

God damnit, the writers are pushing this thing straight to canon..

I'm so excited :)

I'm not sure what to make of this. So we're back to gym leaders using advanced tactics, but BW started the same way. However, we have Ash using a Flying type to completely avoid the ice. We have had moments, though, where Ash would've figured out how to use the ice against them. Fletchling is not experienced, so I can forgive it here, although I totally believe it could school this gym if it knew what it was doing. Pika, though? When was the last time we've seen Pika fail at a gym? I was totally expecting them to turn the tactic around, but nope, Pika gets KO'd. I know it's a bad situation, but you've been through worse than this, even with unexplained skill drop. I can give it some leeway due to advanced tactics, but I repeat: BW started the same way. As for Serena, I am not a shipper, so I am assuming nothing, but I find it interesting that she is the only one that shows concern beyond the usual "you can do it".

Finally, an episode without the Rocket Trio managed to be interesting enough for me to not miss them. Ash lose in a more realistic way than previous times so Pikachu didn't look that weak. Seens like Clemont and Bonnie will have a lot of running gags, so I hope that instead of reusing all of them each time, they switch around to have more variation.

I guess the ending changing lyrics will be what will make it a little more tolerable. Also, am I the only one amused at how Alexa has such a big role in the anime in contrast to what she does in the games?

I Liked this Episode and too be Honest, I was NOT Excited at all because Ash was going to Lose but he Battle was actually MUCH BETTER than I Originally thought here.

The Gym Match it was Not bad, not the Best but it had Good Moments, Viola was Ok I thought she could get better next Week.

Alexa was Good and did anyone else besides me Laugh Hard when Helioptile Landed on Ash BECAUSE TO ME IT WAD TOO PRICELESS. Noivern is back Yeah.

Ash was Good, I don't think he was Stupid or Overconfident in this Gym but I
Could be Wrong here. Ash was thinking on how he did with his Gym Loss, that I really Liked, they have NOT done this in so long.

Bonnie, Clemont, and Dedenne were Good. The first Marriage Proposal LOL, FTW, LMAO, ROFL SOOOOOOOOOOOO HARD. If Dedenne is going to be in every Episode I will be Eh. Dedenne are Ok an Ok Deign but I may not want to see it every Episode of XY.

I am actually glad that Team Rocket were Not in this Episode. I would Take Comedians over Borg any day but it would have been Unnessicary with them here.

Again for the 4th Week in a Row and the 5th Episode in a Row, Serena is the Best apart of this Episode, and this what I got when she entered the Gym "Alexa, Helioptile, Bonnie, Dedenne, and Clemont are Like WHO THE HELL ARE U!" That's what I got just from her entering the Gym and Watching Ash Battle. I am trying to Figure out if Ash Remembered Her at all or Not . But I will see with Subtitles or Someone will tell Me.

Overall, I was Caught Off Guard by the Episode so I will give it a simple 9, Very good Episode and Enjoyed it a lot.

Also before my Last Post this was my 888 Post so HOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY LUCKY 888 I Had.

Last edited:

Eureka is the new Brock, and I found it absolutely hilarious. The surprise on both Citron, and Violas face was priceless. Since this is going to be a running gag, I hope to god that it's not overplayed as much as Brocks 'Love at first sight.'

2nd the battle was top. Despite the loss which was expected, the animation quality was through the roof and exciting. Ash showing some regression with the loss, but once again as expected. But with the training to come, and rematch next ep. His progress through Kalos is running smoothly. One downside of the episdoe, is the Gym battle music was not the same tune as in the game. IMO sort of disappointing.

Now last, and most important. Dat Serena. The group has finally come together, and around Ash she was adorable. Overall her introduction, interactions with Ash and Eureka were definitely high points. Also, the cliffhanger. Absolutely killer, can't wait for next week!

Also, that movie music at the end had me grinning like an idiot!

Alexa was Good and did anyone else besides me Laugh Hard when Helioptile Landed on Ash BECAUSE TO ME IT WAD TOO PRICELESS. Noivern is back Yeah.
It's pretty cool how they managed to give Helioptile a gradual character development; when Ash first met Helioptile, it was afraid of every single movement he did, and little by little it warmed up to him. In this episode you can see how Helioptile changed since then.

One downside of the episdoe, is the Gym battle music was not the same tune as in the game. IMO sort of disappointing.
I also thought that at first, but I couldn't get dissapointed a lot, because of DAT EPIC BASS that played when the battle started.

It's pretty cool how they managed to give Helioptile a gradual character development; when Ash first met Helioptile, it was afraid of every single movement he did, and little by little it warmed up to him. In this episode you can see how Helioptile changed since then.

Agreed, the Scared Little Frilled Lizard that got Scared by a Patrat Off Screen and was Afraid of Ash and Pikachu now Likes and Trusts Ash and Pikachu as a Friend of His/Hers.

Bonnie and Clemont seem to be offering quite a diverse set of gags, I'm loving it.

I've seen bashing already from people who don't even watch the show, claiming that Pikachu is level 300 and can therefore OHKO anything, but screw them. The battle was great and the writers did a good job of snuffing out Pikachu and giving Fletchling a win and a decent attempt vs. Vivillion.

The way XY003 and XY004 went combined with the lack of Team Rocket here shows that the writers have a good idea of how to pace out their encounters with Ash so far, which is great. Good pacing is what they need above all else, they really don't need to be serious or competent.

The ending has also changed to include Fennekin, Dedenne and something beginning with "Ba" (Bashaamo/Blaziken? A sign of things to come?) in the lyrics instead of Pikachu, Froakie and Meowth. Would have been nice if there was some animation to reflect this, but it's cool either way. Edit: I've been told the Ba Pokémon is Baketcha (Pumpkaboo), which could be something awesome.

Last edited:

I really liked how this episode was constructed. Although Ash seemed to have regressed a bit, he still lost in a believable way. It's great how Ash is back to the AG/DP maturity. After he lost, he was quite disappointed and was determined to win next time. That reminded me a lot of his loss to Roark, who is also the first gym leader in his respective region, and the "Uxie no kage" episode. Vivilion and Surskit were such powerhouses and combined with Viola's very clever strategy, Viola is nothing to sneeze at.

The group dynamic, so far, is looking awesome. I did not expect Eureka to be the "Takeshi" of the group and Citron's reaction was priceless. Serena's (and Ash's) backstory looks to be very interesting. That cliffhanger.... I'm really curious to see how Ash and Serena's relationship is going to go.

Ughh!! That cliffhanger at the end. I hope the next episode will be even better!

You know it is an amazing episode of pokemon when:

1- It starts by Serena sipping tea,
2- It has Serena running passionately to find Satoshi,
3-It has Serena fangirling upon finding Satoshi,
4-It has Serena picking up Satoshi's back bag to take it to him,
5-It has Serena trying to remind Satoshi of her seconds prior to the end of the episode...

You even know that this episode is more amazing when:

1- It has EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2-Random Marriage proposals that crack me up,
3-Dedenne :3 :3 :3 :3 Kawaiiiiiii *________*
4-Yayakoma rocking the gym,
5-Viola being an amazing and respectable gym leader,
6-Satoshi gets emotional!!! :p

In deed, I have not been amazed by a pokemon episode for a long time. I felt as I did when I first starter watching pokemon in 1998!!!

Pokemon-daiskiiiiii

Edit:

And Bibiyon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Windblast, you totally made me wanna see it which I will as soon as I can find it. :) I always do. I've seen the pictures, and that, itself, excites me. I love Serena... haha, without doing much, she is becoming my favorite female companion... actually, this group is looking to be the most interesting.

I would find it interesting if Clemont takes an interest in Serena despite her liking Ash and his sister wanting him with an older woman. lol.

dat cliffhanger incredibly heteronormative shoujo anime ending

is this still pokemon

serena was still really cute though

and omg eureka is still hilarious and citron is still a dork

the battle's animation was stunning, omg *_*

That wasn't bad, for a first gym battle. Ash lost, but that's not entirely unexpected given his tendency to charge into these battles unprepared. I thought Pikachu went down a little easy, but I find that preferable to it somehow pulling out a win despite having its movement sealed and it gave Fletchling a chance to be in the spotlight for a while.

I've seen a couple of people say that Ash had regressed a bit skill-wise for this battle, but I can't really consider not coming up with a counter to turn the battle round regression since he's using new Pokemon. At the very least, there was a logic to his choices of Pokemon; Surskit is part water type, so he used Pikachu. The field was covered with ice, so he used Fletchling instead of Froakie. What's more encouraging is that focus has returned to preparation against a particular strategy. I didn't think much of it back in AG and DP, but man did I miss it when it mysteriously disappeared during BW.

As for Serena, well, can't help but think she's in for some disappointment soon. Something's telling me though that Ash will surprise us all and remember her, at least in some capacity.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom