• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do people hate Gen 4 and 5 so much?

Kool-aid man

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Seriously why do people think gen 1, 2, 3 and 6 are better than Diamond, Pearl, Black and White? i didn't find any problem with the games and i thought the Pokemon designs were good why do people hate these games so much?

Seriously why do people think gen 1, 2, 3 and 6 are better than Diamond, Pearl, Black and White? i didn't find any problem with the games and i thought the Pokemon designs were good why do people hate these games so much?
Actualy Gen 3 also recieved a lot of hatred, at least at the time they were released and some years after that but now it seems alot of people love it, it seems a gen gets a lot of love after a bunch of years have passed when at the time of the release they hated it. Also most of the people who hate the newer generations are the so called "Gen 1 Fans" (not gonna use the correct term).

People don't hate any gen more than the others in my opinion. Every gen get's a lot of hate, but it also get's a lot of love.

It's kinda like a cycle to me. Everyone loves the current gen while it's active, but as soon as the next gen comes out the previous one is awful. I remember BW being very popular, but now with XY out, BW was suddenly the worst gen ever.

(Tbh, I still prefer G5 to G6)

I personally think they're fine. I actually am not a fan of Gen 1 and 3 so much. I do think Gen 4 was "ok" though I admit Sinnoh and it's Pokemon weren't my favorites. I much enjoyed Gen 5 though. Many interesting Pokemon, the sequels, and mechanics like Seasons made it a favorite for me.

I honestly don't see much hate OR love for gen 4. (I call it the "perfectly average generation.") Though, I don't see quite as much for gen 5 (my fav to this day) as much as disinterest nowadays. A lot of older gen fans are going to target the newest gen because either they were used to the last one or because it's relevant enough to get mad at. However, I don't see much of this "Newest Gen Hate" with XY. Probably with all the older 'mons and flashy lining.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Norzan and Rainbow said, it's a cycle. Believe it or not Gen III use to be the black sheep of Pokemon, now people are going "HOENN CONFIRMED!" whenever Hoenn is mentioned.

tumblr_mjq10uA1Wu1r5wkkso1_1280_zps1dd9b0fc.png

In a couple of years people will be calling Gen IV will be "The Best Gen Evar!!!".

Do the circle applies to all the hate on the new gen 4 and 5 designs are getting?

I think I stopped liking gen 3 as soon as 4 came out, but i didnt like black and white and then i saw the female character from BW2 and i was like best game ever!

I haven't seen much hate for Gen 4 but I have seen a decent amount for Gen 5. My only opinion on why generation 5 or the previous generation to the latest game would get hate is because sometimes it could get compared to a newer and better game? So some people might be comparing gen 5 to gen 6. Just a thought. I really don't hate any generation myself all have their up's and downs.

i thought gen 4 was fairly boring; didn't like sinnoh much as a region, most of the new mons didn't interest me
i thought the gen 5 storyline was a bit silly but i liked most of the new pokemon
i don't like some of the new mechanics implemented in gen 6 but that's just me

This is the first time I've heard people hating on Gen 5 o_O So people already forgot N...
you'lled be shocked at how many people hated gen 5 in fact there are some users here who hates gen 5

I can understand the hate for Gen4, but Gen5? With BW1 and BW2 combined, you get the best plot, most lengthy story, best antagonist (N), lots of things to do post-game (BW2 and its various features), a region based in New York City, various version exclusive features, and the Global Link with Dream World. I can understand hating the Gen5 ANIME, but the games were seriously epic - where is this hate coming from?

For me, Generation IV was love at first sight. A lot of incredible changes were implemented. My beloved day/night system from Gen II was back. Some old pokémon gained a new evolution and became useful (I think a lot of people don't like Gen IV because of these evolutions). Besides, going online made the games incredibly sexy.
Gen III used to be the most hated generation, it's kinda funny to see nowadays that a lot of people began with this generation and love it. It's the only generation I can understand the hatred, since retrocompatibility was not possible and designs changed a lot.

This is the first time I've heard people hating on Gen 5 o_O So people already forgot N...
you'lled be shocked at how many people hated gen 5 in fact there are some users here who hates gen 5

I can understand the hate for Gen4,
Why what was wrong with gen 4?
Because of the poorly organized dex in DP. An Electric-type gym leader and a Fire-type E4 member had to use pokemons that were not of their specialty due to the dex including very few pokemon of their specialty type. While this was fixed in Pt, I'm pretty sure the dex had disappointed many in Gen 4 when people first played DP.

Lance and Lorelei used Pokemon which weren't their specialty (though in Lance's case it his team seems to be based on dragon like Pokemon rather than dragon type Pokemon)
Also Lance and Agatha both had double ups and not fully evolved Pokemon

I can understand the hate for Gen4, but Gen5? With BW1 and BW2 combined, you get the best plot, most lengthy story, best antagonist (N), lots of things to do post-game (BW2 and its various features), a region based in New York City, various version exclusive features, and the Global Link with Dream World. I can understand hating the Gen5 ANIME, but the games were seriously epic - where is this hate coming from?
People don't hate Gen 5 because of those things, they hate it because they think that most of the gen 5 pokemon designs are bad and uncreative, specially hating Vanilluxe line and Garbodor line the most, good lord are these two pokemon lines hated to death.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom