• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
and your 3DS's SD card isn't quite reliable enough to do the job.
Because?
Okay, you got me, I don't have a suitable explanation. We know that a Pokemon's data occupies only a few hundred bytes, but anything saved on the SD card is only as secure / hack-proof as the overall encryption used on it. Furthermore, it's not a centralized authority like the Pokemon Bank servers so it would be (relatively) easier to create/clone Pokemon via the SD card.

Just a note, the Lumiose Glitch patch apparently needed to save on the SD card and not the game cartridge itself.....
That is correct. All software updates are downloaded to the 3DS's SD card (you can't exactly patch the ROM on a game cartridge).

O3o pokemon bank needs to come out now so i can transfer all the things

Dislike the way it's a paid service, but I'll have to try it before i make my judgement final :S

I don't mind paying the $5 a year, that's nothing. But the unfortunate part about it is that people will bring in hacked stuff from gen 1-5.

I don't mind paying the $5 a year, that's nothing. But the unfortunate part about it is that people will bring in hacked stuff from gen 1-5.
Its supposed to block obviously hacked Pokemon, but Im assuming totally legit looking stuff will pass through.

and your 3DS's SD card isn't quite reliable enough to do the job.
Because? We're talking about a minuscule amount of data.

I'd fathom a reason is that you can buy shitty, low quality SD cards. I'd support the notion that SD cards aren't too reliable - just about every company makes them, even my local supermarket has its own home brand SD card (they're terrible).

The Outrage said:
Just a note, the Lumiose Glitch patch apparently needed to save on the SD card and not the game cartridge itself.....

You can likely take out your cartridge, put it into a 3DS without the patch and it'll be like running the game unpatched. It's a bit of a different story, since it's a patch that's (likely) executed prior to the game and can be re-downloaded onto another SD card should something screw up. You know, unlike unique pocket monsters, which would be just gone if your SD card conked out.

My only worry, what happens if there is a server crash, or a failed connection. It would suck to lose a shinny legendary. Would GF and Nintento Comp people for the lost of their valuable pokes?

My only worry, what happens if there is a server crash, or a failed connection. It would suck to lose a shinny legendary. Would GF and Nintento Comp people for the lost of their valuable pokes?

If it is a failed connection, nothing is uploaded and nothing even left your game.

People who are worrying about a server crash honestly have no idea what on earth they're talking about.

Let's travel back to the distant land of 2011. BW was already released in Japan and was just released in the US. They were about to open up the Global Link/Dream World for international games, but the JP launch already happened. Then a 9.0 earthquake hit Japan, causing massive amounts of destruction. In the aftermath, power was strictly regulated and caused a lot of online gaming, including much of Nintendo's, to go down.

During that extended period of downtime, which resulted in a delay of several days/weeks of the international launch of the Global Link. not a single Pokemon was reported to be corrputed, damaged, or destroyed that was already "tucked in" in the Japanese dream world

On top of that, they've specifically identified Bank as "cloud storage", meaning it is backed up several times over and over and over again.

And on top of that, data recovery is a fairly basic task in the IT world.

If it is a failed connection, nothing is uploaded and nothing even left your game.

People who are worrying about a server crash honestly have no idea what on earth they're talking about.

Let's travel back to the distant land of 2011. BW was already released in Japan and was just released in the US. They were about to open up the Global Link/Dream World for international games, but the JP launch already happened. Then a 9.0 earthquake hit Japan, causing massive amounts of destruction. In the aftermath, power was strictly regulated and caused a lot of online gaming, including much of Nintendo's, to go down.

During that extended period of downtime, which resulted in a delay of several days/weeks of the international launch of the Global Link. not a single Pokemon was reported to be corrputed, damaged, or destroyed that was already "tucked in" in the Japanese dream world

On top of that, they've specifically identified Bank as "cloud storage", meaning it is backed up several times over and over and over again.

And on top of that, data recovery is a fairly basic task in the IT world.
I'm not a tech savy guy, I'm lucky I know what a server is.

Its supposed to block obviously hacked Pokemon, but Im assuming totally legit looking stuff will pass through.

If it isn't banned at all costs, hackers will find a way or two to transfer hacks over to their new games. Never underestimate hackers o.o

I don't know how I will be paying for it when I leave for my own place(hopefully) in a couple years. I'll be trying the free trial to see what it's all about.

I know that it's $5/year, but to someone who doesn't have a job yet, that can be a bit of money.

If it isn't banned at all costs, hackers will find a way or two to transfer hacks over to their new games. Never underestimate hackers o.o

They may or may not. But it is highly unlikely they'll be able to duplicate storage of uploading entire PC boxes simultaneously. And as online services have shown such as ITunes and Hulu Plus, even though it is fairly easy to pirate TV shows and music, people will gladly pay reasonable prices for quality, online services

I don't know how I will be paying for it when I leave for my own place(hopefully) in a couple years. I'll be trying the free trial to see what it's all about.

I know that it's $5/year, but to someone who doesn't have a job yet, that can be a bit of money.

If $5 a year is "a bit of money", then you've got much bigger problems to worry about then how to transfer Pokemon. And you won't be able to do it anyway since of course, if $5 a year is a lot of money, then there's no way you could afford a $130-200 console and $40 video game.

Then, to be blunt, your problem is not the $5 a year but not having a job at the moment. Address that first, right?

Then, to be blunt, your problem is not the $5 a year but not having a job at the moment. Address that first, right?

Dude, I would love a job right now, but I don't have a car and my parents come home around 7:00 PM five days a week. Once we get another car and I get a license, I can start looking without fear that I wouldn't be able to make it to work on time. Businesses here usually hire high schoolers, so I shouldn't have a problem finding one by April or May.

I'm really sorry if I came off as rude. It's been an off day for me. I really appreciate your concern though :D

Anyways, do we know all of the features of Pokémon Bank? I haven't really been following news on it lately.

So 100 Boxes that can store up to 3000 Pokémon and transferring whole boxes? I like the sound of that(along with being able to restart your game and putting your most prized Pokémon in the Bank with no repercussions). I don't think I really mind the cost anymore, since they want to use this for future titles in the series and I would imagine the server costs would get pricey.

As much as I like the idea of the pokemon bank, I wouldn't really consider it cheap. Bear in mind it is $5 for every year you need to transfer pokemon from generation to generation as I believe they said they are planning to make this the new way for every game (might end up being more than $5 for various countries). So if there are 4 years you need poke transfer (not if you actually want it for the whole year and only use it once) you end up paying $20. Yes this is affordable, but still pretty expensive considering most people were able to do it for free.

So unless they release free trials after every new game's release, people who don't use pokemon bank for anything other than transferring pokemon will have to pay a years fee for something they will use for a couple of days. So basically $5 to transfer pokemon to every new game. I they do give a free trial with every new game I will be fine, but I don't know how likely that is.

As much as I like the idea of the pokemon bank, I wouldn't really consider it cheap. Bear in mind it is $5 for every year you need to transfer pokemon from generation to generation as I believe they said they are planning to make this the new way for every game (might end up being more than $5 for various countries). So if there are 4 years you need poke transfer (not if you actually want it for the whole year and only use it once) you end up paying $20. Yes this is affordable, but still pretty expensive considering most people were able to do it for free.

So unless they release free trials after every new game's release, people who don't use pokemon bank for anything other than transferring pokemon will have to pay a years fee for something they will use for a couple of days. So basically $5 to transfer pokemon to every new game. I they do give a free trial with every new game I will be fine, but I don't know how likely that is.

Transferring Pokemon was only free from Gen III to IV.

Transferring Pokemon was only free from Gen III to IV.

As long as you had access to a second DS (basically if any friend/ family member had one) it was free for 4->5. And if you had access to what you needed to trade with in Gen 2 (again any friend/ family member having a GBC and 1 of you having a link cable), then Gen 1-> 2 is fine. So yes I can agree that money may have needed to spent, but in most cases it was for things that people could use for other purposes more useful than extra storage, instead of being spent on something specifically for trading pokemon. Don't get me wrong I think Bank is a good thing for people who don't have access to the physical means, I just think it's worth pointing out the system is pretty expensive in the long run, potentially more expensive than previous methods. And also now, if they could somehow future handhelds to be compatible with older ones, there would be no cost for a link cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom