• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Pokemon from the future?

Naruchu_believe_it

Reaction score
Is the pokeverse from the future,like as so far in the future time has began again?Because,in the anime they said that....One of the psycic pokemon was a desendent of a taper,and I remember other hints too[in the games and anime.],thought I don't exaclty remember what they said.

The Pokemon Universe (or universes really, since the world has been portrayed through various forms), is more of an alternate universe, ya know like Star Wars ect. .

That could be true, I used to think that pokemon was futuristic when I was younger, But now, I think it's more of an alternate reality(s). It would seem that the Manga, Anime, and Games are different sub-dimentions, and do not take place in the same reality, but similar ones.

Same, I too had a similar view to the Pokemon Universe as kid. The thing that differs it from our world, besides the obvious, is all the futuristic technology that universe has, wich is probly the result of the interactions humans have had with Pokemon, wich doesn't have the same results as our relationships with animals.

The World of Pokemon seems so oxymoronic. On one hand, they have the technology to convert matter into energy, on the other, their transportation seems fairly primitive at times.

Really, the only explanation I can think of is alternate universe.

Gotta agree on that. It's just one of the many points that make the whole Pokemon Universe like wasted potential to me. -_-'

I tend to think of the Pokemon universe as one parallel in technological advancement to our own but has different technologies better suited to fit their culture.

I think Pokemon is definitely set in a post apocalyptic world. They're recovered, but that's when it's set.

The Pokemon Universe (or universes really, since the world has been portrayed through various forms), is more of an alternate universe, ya know like Star Wars ect. .

Star Wars could be the same universe. Just a different *part* of it. You know, "long time ago, galaxy far far away" and all that?

Pokemon, though, seems to follow different laws of physics.

I really never seen them deviate from the basic laws of physics, could you explain?

LOL. Are you kidding? Flying Pyrimids? Flying without wings? (not the song dummy) Phsychic powers? Being able to hold thunder within one's body? Life forms made of rock? Have you REALLY never noticed that breathing fire breaks the laws of physics!?

I was thinking about how pretty much any combination of elements, including water on water, leads to an explosion.

Well, yeah, that really doesn't make sense, but that's more chemistry isn't it.

Have you REALLY never noticed that breathing fire breaks the laws of physics!?

Actually that could be possible. I was watching this TV special on dragons once, and some scientists explained how a creature would be able to breath fire. Dealt a lot with chemicals in the body. It also explained why there are no skeltons because those chemicals would dissolve the bones.

LOL. Are you kidding? Flying Pyrimids? Flying without wings? (not the song dummy) Phsychic powers? Being able to hold thunder within one's body? Life forms made of rock? Have you REALLY never noticed that breathing fire breaks the laws of physics!?

The flying pyramid probably has Propulsion engines, and uses them to lift itself into the air (sort of like rockets, or guided missiles.), plus, the design of the Pyramid (not to mention how it operates) seemed far too similar to Ra's ship from the Stargate movie.

As for flying without wings, I'm pretty sure that it is possible to fly without wings due to the fact that certain rockets can do that, and I'm certain that some life-forms can do that as well.

As for psychic powers, There is a study known as "Paraphysiology" you know. And besides which, there have been cases of paranormal psychology in history as well, Like Jesus healing the Ill/Lame and removing blind peoples blindness, but that's a different topic entirely.

and some lifeforms actually can HOLD thunder within their bodies. There are several deep sea lifeforms that often use electric jolts as a form of self-defense (Like electric eels, for example), as well as a means of navigating dark ocean trenches.

As for lifeforms made of rock, I'm pretty sure that they are more made of a rock-like substance than ACTUALLY made of rock.

Firebreathing, well, someone already mentioned a documentary discussing that, plus, even Humans can breathe fire, to a certain extent (Theres a kind of performer called a fire breather who douses his mouth with some sort of flammable substance, and dips the fire in the mouth so he can spray fire out of it.).

As for water coming into contact with water causing an explosion, technically, it does, but not in the sense of a Bomb explosion. the explosion I'm thinking of is a Splash.

On topic, I don't think that Pokemon takes place in a different universe. A different planet, definitely, a different solar system, most likely, but definitely not a different universe. and also, It could very well be in the future.

Considering that our nervous system runs o electrical pulses, and the fact that electric eels exist, storing electricity really soesn't seem that far fetched.

And I was watching Daily Planet one time and they showed some model "flying machines" which actually flew even without external wings. One was shaped like Snoopy's dog house ^_^

And it's not as if things like Geodude are actually made of rock, it is perfectly plausable that their skin is just so hard that they become classified as "rock" Pokemon.

Blackjack Palazzo said:
I was thinking about how pretty much any combination of elements, including water on water, leads to an explosion

I always love how Bubble can cause such a smokey explosion when it collides with other objects.

I've considered this a bit, personally I think that the whole series takes place on an island somewhere in the Pacific (Japan mb?) where normal animals can't live for some reason, and the reason why Pokemon can't live on the main continents, maybe by food or something, I'm sure the plants in that area have some kind of nutrient that's beneficial for Pokemon, but harmful for other animals.

Star Wars could be the same universe. Just a different *part* of it. You know, "long time ago, galaxy far far away" and all that?

Pokemon, though, seems to follow different laws of physics.

True...but the whole "long time ago, galaxy far far away" thing of Star Wars makes it sound like it's from the past, while when you watch it looks the total opposite. But either way you look it, alternate universe or post-apocalyptic, SW can still apply as a good example. ^_^;

But good point, the laws of physics are different.

On topic, I don't think that Pokemon takes place in a different universe. A different planet, definitely, a different solar system, most likely, but definitely not a different universe. and also, It could very well be in the future.

Unfortunately I can't agree on that one, unless you take crazyness like aliens somehow taking earthly organisms to another planet or said orgnanisms coming from another planet somehow (wether being brought by aliens, magic or w/e). Why do I say this? Becuase unless you add some bizarre theory or idea to the equation, it's highly unlikely that you'll have two worlds, so far apart from each other, to have their organisms develope pretty much identically, and I don't mean this for the humans only, but the pokemon too, many of wich have striking resemblences to our animals. So yeah...it's highley unlikely that could happen.

But the post apocaliptic theory could make sense, I've thought about it before but never pondered to much about it. The pokemon universe just has so many missing pieces so it's not easy to find a theory that fits it without stretching it a bit. <_<

I've considered this a bit, personally I think that the whole series takes place on an island somewhere in the Pacific (Japan mb?) where normal animals can't live for some reason, and the reason why Pokemon can't live on the main continents, maybe by food or something, I'm sure the plants in that area have some kind of nutrient that's beneficial for Pokemon, but harmful for other animals.

There are many animals in this planet who live on such secluded islands, and if you are to imply that Pokemon exists in the same universe, and planet, then how would you explain that? And your theory isn't very strong since the only reason they are is not highly explained. Even if the plants are harmful to "normal" animals, they would just develop a resistance to it. The whole notion of it giving them psychic powers, and the ability to breathe fire is proposterous.

Let's not forget that humans too are animals. Should we not have changed with them? And they do have some pretty common trees existing in their world aswell.

Let's not forget that Mew was found in South America aswell.

There are many animals in this planet who live on such secluded islands, and if you are to imply that Pokemon exists in the same universe, and planet, then how would you explain that? And your theory isn't very strong since the only reason they are is not highly explained. Even if the plants are harmful to "normal" animals, they would just develop a resistance to it. The whole notion of it giving them psychic powers, and the ability to breathe fire is proposterous.

Let's not forget that humans too are animals. Should we not have changed with them? And they do have some pretty common trees existing in their world aswell.

Let's not forget that Mew was found in South America aswell.

But humans don't have an excuse to evolve right now, we haven't for centuries, we provide to our every need through un-natural...or "modified" means wich don't require us to change. No I don't agree with the "island" idea, just wanted to point that out...wich maybe could also apply to the how ever the pokemon universe developed?

And "L" is right, animals adapt to whatever obstacle they find in their enviroment, thou not always with grand results. But yeah, they adapt, specially when it comes to things in their enviroment.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom