• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Serena's goal : What do you think it is?

I think her initial goal may be either Rhyhorn racer or more likely to be Ash. after a few episodes she'll start considering a new goal which will become her primary goal. It could be Pokemon Fashionista or badges which are from 1 or 2 at the same gym as Ash, all new gyms introduced in the next game in the XY series (likely named Pokémon Z), and filled in with anime only gyms. also she likely compete in Rhyhorn Races. If she gets 8 badges then she'll enter the Kalos League, end up losing to Ash but putting up a good fight.

They should've put a Battle Frontier (with five to seven facilities) in XY, so Ash could get the symbols and Serena could go for badges.

Even if her goal IS romance with Ash, I don't see a problem with that. For one thing, we never had anything like that before - it's something the writers hadn't shown us before and it is unprecedented. It's something new. I'm actually looking forward to how the writers will depict Ash and Serena's relationship...if they ever have one.

Rhyhorn Racing sounds interesting... but are they going to host Rhyhorn races throughout the anime like [Town Cup 1] and [Town Cup 2]? I don't think this might be a good idea. Contests had been a mix of stage performance and battles, and had plenty to show. But how much could they show with only Rhyhorns participating in the race? I could understand this being a long-term goal if different pokemons participated in each race and having various features, but with only Rhyhorns... :/ The preview did show Serena and Rhyhorn Racing, so I guess we should wait for next week.

So it seems Serena has re-discovered her passion for Rhyhorn Racing, although it's been mentioned she hasn't decided yet. I'm totally fine with Serena taking her time to figure out what she wants to do. Serena did show interest in shopping for cute clothes and stuff, and the preview showed her getting excited over a Pokemon Trimmer, so maybe her goals could also include fashion. While this may be a typical girly trait, this might offer Serena something to do :D

And as for romance - this may also be a goal. She was so happy when Ash remembered her, and she baked cookies for him - and look how she was blushing all the while when giving him the cookies. Besides, she decided to travel with Ash because he asked her. Getting close and friendly with Ash may as well be a good goal - I'd be more than happy if this ship became canon.

So I actually have two ideas of what Serena's goal could be.

One is that Serena could desire to become a world class Pokemon stylist. She could learn new Pokemon styling techniques during her travels with Ash, Clemont, and Bonnie and compete in Pokemon styling competitions. This may fit her since she is into fashion. It would also fit into the French theme that the Kalos region has (since France is known for fashion).

Another is that she may have some desire to go on her own Pokemon trainer journey someday but would like to first travel with Ash, Clemont, and Bonnie in order that she can learn more about Pokemon from them. At the end of the series she will go on her own journey in order to compete in a regional Pokemon league. Perhaps the writers will even surprise us by having her develop a desire to surpass Ash as a Pokemon trainer and thereby set her up in becoming Ash's rival in Gen 7 (as a non-antagonistic rival of course).

Last edited:
My idea is that she battles them.

There are four of the Battle Chatelaine girls, they have unique designs and could serve as a sort of gym leaders for Serena herself. Maybe she could collect something like badges from them in order to battle the fifth girl, perhaps a leader, or maybe allow her to enter some sort of a tournament like a League? Maybe something like a Battle Frontier-esque sort of challenge, where she collects symbols?

My idea is that she battles them.

There are four of the Battle Chatelaine girls, they have unique designs and could serve as a sort of gym leaders for Serena herself. Maybe she could collect something like badges from them in order to battle the fifth girl, perhaps a leader, or maybe allow her to enter some sort of a tournament like a League? Maybe something like a Battle Frontier-esque sort of challenge, where she collects symbols?
The Battle Maison is no different than the Battle Tower or the Battle Subway; it's a standard post-game feature that requires little to no promotion. Since Ash battled Anabel, Palmer, Ingo and Emmet, it would be out of character for him not to show interest in the Battle Chatelaine girls.

I've been thinking that she might become a Pokemon Stylist! It would make sense, from some of the things I noticed about her. Think about the fact that Kalos is big on clothing and stlye is a big new aesthetic in the games. Why not transfer it yo the anime?!

So I actually have two ideas of what Serena's goal could be.

One is that Serena could desire to become a world class Pokemon stylist. She could learn new Pokemon styling techniques during her travels with Ash, Clemont, and Bonnie and compete in Pokemon styling competitions. This may fit her since she is into fashion. It would also fit into the French theme that the Kalos region has (since France is known for fashion).

Another is that she may have some desire to go on her own Pokemon trainer journey someday but would like to first travel with Ash, Clemont, and Bonnie in order that she can learn more about Pokemon from them. At the end of the series she will go on her own journey in order to compete in a regional Pokemon league. Perhaps the writers will even surprise us by having her develop a desire to surpass Ash as a Pokemon trainer and thereby set her up in becoming Ash's rival in Gen 7 (as a non-antagonistic rival of course).

The first idea sounds good, but I like the second idea better. Ash could be Serena's mentor in this series, and they could have better interaction and character development where we can actually see someone grow

To be perfectly honest, I don't think it's without reason how much of an impact Serena's yelling of advice and support has.

So obviously she'll become a cheerleader. A loud one.

(unless it only works on Ash as we've seen so far. Dammit, that boy only listens to what's being said if it's yelled at him)

Joking aside, maybe the writers are trying to let her be undecided throughout the entire, or most of the XY-series since she'll be able to try out a lot of things in search of her desired goal. That's a pretty decent plot for Serena-centered episodes, I think; To let her try out the new potential goal for the day and see what she thinks about that. Then she can try out Pokémon styling in one episode, a contest-esque tournament the next etc. and flesh out her character that way? Maybe?

Only for the series to end with her deciding on Rhyhorn racing after all XD

I like that- "find a goal" as a goal would be pretty interesting and new as far as goals (or lack of them) go, and you could get a variety of the episodic plots this show lives on out of it. It's also what people theorized Shauna would do back when she had a shot at being a companion, oddly enough.

I'm not really sure if "find a goal" can really work though considering that XY will probably be 130+ episodes. It will be extremely hard (if not impossible) to stretch out Serena's goal searching for that long and will only leave her without a purpose (aside from her romance with Ash which IMHO doesn't really count). In contrast, May had already decided to do contests by AG016.

I'm not really sure if "find a goal" can really work though considering that XY will probably be 130+ episodes. It will be extremely hard (if not impossible) to stretch out Serena's goal searching for that long and will only leave her without a purpose (aside from her romance with Ash which IMHO doesn't really count). In contrast, May had already decided to do contests by AG016.

I agree. While simply finding a goal as her goal sounds interesting and it could lead to some interesting focused episodes with Serena trying out different things, I don't think that they could stretch it out for the entire series. It would be pretty hard to do and I think that it could get boring for awhile if she just kept searching for a goal over the next few years. I'd like for them to explore it more and provide some buildup to Serena eventually finding a goal, but I don't want them to drag it out either. I'm not sure what goal she could end up with though.

Serena's goal? Quite clearly to get in Mr Ketchum's pants. I don't understand why a thread is needed to work this out.

Serena's goal? Quite clearly to get in Mr Ketchum's pants. I don't understand why a thread is needed to work this out.

When we talk about her goal, we are talking about she is doing apart of Ash.

For me, I have doubts of she is doing. However, something is telling me that she is having a goal and being a semi-star in the series.
XY is a series that it's designed to have more quality than Best Wishes. i don't believe it at first but the point is already becoming more clear and clear as far the episode progresses.
The audience is already believeing that this series is not the mess that it was Best Wishes in the end aand thbey are alread notiing in the Japanese ratings with delay.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom