• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY007: Leave it to Serena!? The Charging Sihorn Race!

OH MY GAWSH THIS EPISODE WAS SO CUTE ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

So Ash had taken care of Serena's injured leg and 'accidentally' hugged her when helping her stand up. I was squealing the whole time - what a cute backstory ♥♥♥

It was unexpected that Ash remembered her suddenly, but I'll let that slide for now.
Serena blushing while giving him cookies? Romance confirmed.

Also, the reason Serena is traveling? Because Ash asked her. Romance confirmed.

I am looking forward to the future episodes where they build up on Ash and Serena's relationship. This is definitely something new, and I can't wait to see how their relationship develops from here - hopefully, they have a lot of fluffy moments ♥

About the Sihorn racing : I guess it was good Serena discovered her passion for racing while teaching Ash. It was a rather good episode, though the Team Rocket part was a bit unnecessary. It was still hilarious, and Serena's character got development, so I'd say it was a well-done episode.

This episode was pretty good. Bonnie sure looked adorable while sleeping with a Tyrantrum hat. Ash sure fell down a lot while practicing, with Serena falling down as well.

Too bad they didn't restart the Rhyhorn race, would've been interesting to see how it turned out. I like how there were more flashbacks of what Ash did at camp to help out Serena, and that he finally remembered her. It was cute seeing Serena being licked by the Rhyhorn.

Fennekin sure loves battling and helping out. It was nice to see Inkay and Bunnelby get some action in this episode. Serena sure knows how to bake, I wonder if she'll be doing regular cooking as well later on.

This episode was pretty good. Bonnie sure looked adorable while sleeping with a Tyrantrum hat. Ash sure fell down a lot while practicing, with Serena falling down as well.

Too bad they didn't restart the Rhyhorn race, would've been interesting to see how it turned out. I like how there were more flashbacks of what Ash did at camp to help out Serena, and that he finally remembered her. It was cute seeing Serena being licked by the Rhyhorn.

Fennekin sure loves battling and helping out. It was nice to see Inkay and Bunnelby get some action in this episode. Serena sure knows how to bake, I wonder if she'll be doing regular cooking as well later on.

I was just thinking it would be funny if she can only bake desserts but sucks horribly at cooking normal food.

When I heard the title of the episode I was thinking to myself -'another boring episode focusing on gen 1 Pokemon - pushing 6th gen Pokemon aside. Boring'- was I surprised! The episode was great, funny, plus it was 'cute' to watch Fennekin again, doing an attack.... it was really funny when the group was pestering Serena' mom (normally I don't like scenes with the human characters being the center of attention - I prefer the Pokemon to be).

Whole Rhyhorn racing was still kind of boring for me, something not interesting to watch (could be that I don't like Rhyhorn in general).

Last edited:
What I liked about this episode most was animation, cool angles and awesome pieces of music they used (like An Adventure Is Beginning or Snowbelle City, specially the latter was do damn beautiful). Really enjoyable one.

Sihorns are cuties. It's so awesome that such a Pokémon that got so little attention in this anime had actually an episode focused on it. Me approves.

And Fokko. Probably the first starter owned by a female travelling companion who's not getting on my nerves (I'm looking at you, Pochama) and despite being usually pretty feminine and all, this one looked so badass while battling Rocket-Dan. Also, he/she's pretty damn cute with all those little things like hushing with Serena when she was baking those cookies or poking her. I wanna see this little fella more.

Those faces. This episode was full of amazing faces, specially during the call with Serena's mom in the end of episode.

Oh yeah, there was some shipping stuff that make me laugh a little. It was cute, I guess.

OH MY GAWSH THIS EPISODE WAS SO CUTE ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

So Ash had taken care of Serena's injured leg and 'accidentally' hugged her when helping her stand up. I was squealing the whole time - what a cute backstory ♥♥♥

It was unexpected that Ash remembered her suddenly, but I'll let that slide for now.
Serena blushing while giving him cookies? Romance confirmed.

Also, the reason Serena is traveling? Because Ash asked her. Romance confirmed.

I am looking forward to the future episodes where they build up on Ash and Serena's relationship. This is definitely something new, and I can't wait to see how their relationship develops from here - hopefully, they have a lot of fluffy moments ♥

About the Sihorn racing : I guess it was good Serena discovered her passion for racing while teaching Ash. It was a rather good episode, though the Team Rocket part was a bit unnecessary. It was still hilarious, and Serena's character got development, so I'd say it was a well-done episode.

I liked Team Rocket's part in this episode myself. It let them shake up the usual formula of having Ash do most of the heroics, which I was really glad to see. I thought the train of cages was pretty damn cool too.

Episode was ok in my opinion. Not great or amazing that i would be in euphoria over it, but it was good. I expected perhaps some sort of conflict going between mother and Serena leading to fighting out for herself and what she wants to pursue. Leading to overcoming misunderstanding between mother and daughter later on but eh like expected not much came out of it.

Hoswever ill admit, Serena dialogue at end of episode of not being sure in what she see herself and what she would like to work toward to becoming point of her life shades small glimpse of hope, in vain of character eventually finding its own goal with her existence and reasoning behind joining cast gaining more meat(hopefully).

As long they do some well paced build up toward it ill be satisfied.

Ash trying to ride Rhyhorn having difficulties in handling it was pretty fun to see and i liked how Serena gave him instructions starting to realize shes been acting like Grace all along. Causing discomfort within herself. And i couldn't stay indifferent to Serena baking cookies for Ash and others, that was pretty nice gesture(ill give her that). Perhaps foreshadowing of taking role of cook in group or at least trying to be so in attempt of preparing dishes(talking about breaking patterns).

Bonnie was adorable and cute as ever and its good to see fruits of joining Ash starting to pay of being much more courageous and determined trying to smash TR cage and remote control with rocks running around. Ash so far definitely helps him to be more straightforward and confident in himself along with gaining experience and requiredd knowledge to better himself as trainer.

More background about Ash early life was appreciated as well adding more insight in his background, but since im not especially interested in shipping and romance i don't have much to say about Serena constant blushing and interest expressed for Ash character(which seem more straightforward in beginning than it was even case with Misty's crush which took some time to show itself). Im fairly neutral and as long writers dont go overboard with whole Serena affection focusing more on herself as character and her own dreams becoming more meaningful ill be fine with it.

I just watched the new episode.

And the way everyone talked about it made it seem like it was all about shipping when it was really not. Honestly, the first half went with revealing how they met, had Ash remember Serena instead of dragging it out throughout the saga and introduced everyone to Rhyhorn racing.

The question of Serena’s goal was also asked. They were all pretty impressed by her knowledge and even Serena got her character development when she realized that she might have misunderstood Rhyhorn racing. Ash asked her whether she aims to become a Rhyhorn racer, since she seems to know so much about it and Serena said that she doesn’t hate it, but that she wants to do something she really likes. So the episode outright states that Serena is on the lookout for a goal. That’s right and she’s most likely getting one.

Why everyone complained and said Serena was Ash’s waifu for baking HIM cookies makes no sense to me because at the end of the day Serena made cookies for EVERYONE not just Ash. And it was really enjoyable to observe her relationship with the Rhyhorn. Overall, this was a strong Serena episode.

Her admiration and its origin for Ash are revealed, but other than that, it’s all about Serena’s future and what she wants to do. Serena herself says in the previous episode how she started out her journey without thinking about her future. It’s an important issue that’s already being tackled by the writers and I, for one, appreciate it. She has her first battle, shows off her knowledge of the races, comes to realize she was wrong about the racing, pretty much the whole package.

So yeah, Serena haters pretty much used the short flashback as an excuse to bash on Serena and her fans as whole. Ridiculous, like always.

Honestly, this was a really good episode.

So yeah, Serena haters pretty much used the short flashback as an excuse to bash on Serena and her fans as whole. Ridiculous, like always.
What? Where? I haven't seen any Serena haters around - or is it someplace other than the forums?

The whole shippy hints were just cute and adorable - I don't see a reason to bash Serena and her fans because of it? I am not Serena's fan, but I like how they're giving her good character development and interaction with Ash. I don't know where the haters are and what nonsense they are spewing, but I sure wouldn't like to hear about them.

What? Where? I haven't seen any Serena haters around - or is it someplace other than the forums?
They are out there, calling Serena a shallow girl who only exists to please Ash, calling her his waifu for making him cookies when in reality she made them for Clemont an Bonnie as well, and not just Ash.

The whole shippy hints were just cute and adorable - I don't see a reason to bash Serena and her fans because of it? I am not Serena's fan, but I like how they're giving her good character development and interaction with Ash. I don't know where the haters are and what nonsense they are spewing, but I sure wouldn't like to hear about them.
I pretty much agree with you. Shipping is cute and all, but I like that they finally gave Serena herself some focus.

Ok, 2 things!!

1) Chibi Satoshi hugging chibi Serena <3

2) Snowbelle city soundtrack :3

Excusez-moi Kasumi, Haruka, Hikari and Iris, but Serena has completely taken over my heart <3 __ <3

I guess we now know who would be making the food for the gang...

Well, I certainly did expect some focus on Serena (particularly her first meeting with Ash), considering the anime have been holding it up for a few episodes. I didn't the scene to have accidental hug and blushing on her part, complete with soft music playing in the background. It's interesting how they initially made her hesistant of what her goal should be, so I'm expecting more development from this.

As for the rest, I really like how Bonnie's reaction to Serena joining the group and shopping could be compared to that of child in front of a table full of desserts. I also find it amusing that Clemont would rush in and use a rock to crush TR's device. It's also nice to see Bunnelby singlehandedly stop the entire train from moving.

Rockin that straw hat!
attachment.php
Why does that remind me of a certain scene from Arlong Park arc...

Last edited:
I understand how you feel, but the thread is not about your feelings on how fans are viewing Serena or how people shouldn't bash her. You can clarify what actually happened in the ep and say what you thought about things, but complaining about complainers is not something that should return to the anime section.

And this goes for everyone: If you're annoyed by the complainers, don't come to threads to complain about them. That's just breeding more negativity.

Serena is by far one of the most likable characters I've seen on the main cast and this episode did her a lot of justice. Everything from her knowledge of Rhyhorn racing to her determination and eagerness to help out was pretty great; I felt as if I could relate myself to her too, in a way.

The actual Rhyhorn race could've been done better but as far as character development and interaction I'd say this one was pretty great. And d'awww, Fennekin!

So far, it is the highest rated XY episode on TV Tokyo, with an average HH rating of 5.8.

Looks like XY is gaining more viewers over time. I don't believe ratings equal popularity... but it sure is nice to see the numbers increasing :D

Maybe it has to do with Serena's interaction with Ash.

Woah, did they change the writers for this show? Everything is SO good so far, it is almost hard to believe in the quality of this series.

The characters are so likable and the romance hints are so obvious!

I admit that at first I was against romance and "canon" pairings, but I don't mind it anymore. I mean, Serena is a likable character and Satoshi isn't annoying as he was in B&W.

The flashback of Satoshi and Serena in Oak's camp was really cute.

Also, I wonder if Satoshi chansing a Nyoromo was a reference to PokéSpe!Red having one as his first Pokémon?

Lastly, Serena's Fokko is extremely adorable :D I couldn't have a chosen a better Pokémon to be my favorite. Can't wait for it to evolve.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom