• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Mega Charizard: X vs. Y

I prefer Y, I like the shape of the wings a lot better, only thing i would change is make it purple or pink.

PS, I've noticed that most of the people who like Y Charizard are girls

Charizard Y all the way. Zard X looks like its trying waaay too hard to be cool and edgy and just ends up looking ugly, and I never cared about Charizard not having the Dragon typing anyway. Zard Y fixes all the problems I had with Charizard's original design, it looks sleek and aerodynamic; a vast improvement on Charizard's previously awkward body proportions.

Definitely Y. X has too many spikes, and I'm not a fan of the color scheme. I do like its typing better, but Y's ability and design take the cake.

Mega Charizard Y.

Design: To be honest, I never liked the actual Charizard. It looks like a Fat Giraffe with Dragon add-ons to me (and because I'm so shallow, that makes me not have it :p). Mega Charizard X is OK but still keeps some of the stuff that makes be not like Charizard. Mega Charizard Y gives me a new light on it, it looks a lot more like does cool dragons (mainly due to its more skinny body) I see and its head doesn't look like a Giraffe.

Battle: Charizard X is useful being part Dragon and having Tough Claws but I see Charizard Y as the better package; With Drought it can deal more fire damage and can take Water hits better than Charizard X (because Charizard X doesn't increase Sp. Def). Keeping Flying helps it from Ground types and can learn Solarbeam to do against Rock types (especially with Drought where you don't need charging) making Electric, Drizzle and Rain Dance the only main threat. Also if you can breed one to know Dragon Pulse it can take down Charizard X with ease if it is faster.

Typing: I never cared for Charizard to be Dragon but I'm glad it was put on a Mega Evolution so it didn't interrupt the "Triangle Balance".

Y by far. MUCH better design, great ability and stats. The only thing better about X is the Dragon typing but even then it's not much of a plus in my opinion other than something fans wanted.

I would say Y, it suits my battle style better. Plus I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme on X, anybody know what it looks like Shiny?

Charizard Y is better.This was the cool part at Charizard.He is a motherfucking dragon without being dragon =))

X for me. Y just looks retarded compared to him. I think the X Mega Evos are just completely better than the Y evos.

Don't get me wrong they're both cool, but I used Y in my Y play through and he kicked serious ass, plus he actually looks like Charizard. X is just... Meh...

Mega Charizard Y.

Design: To be honest, I never liked the actual Charizard. It looks like a Fat Giraffe with Dragon add-ons to me (and because I'm so shallow, that makes me not have it :p). Mega Charizard X is OK but still keeps some of the stuff that makes be not like Charizard. Mega Charizard Y gives me a new light on it, it looks a lot more like does cool dragons (mainly due to its more skinny body) I see and its head doesn't look like a Giraffe.

You got something against giraffes bro?

I definitely prefer Y. Mega charizard Y looks how a mega should look in my opinion - like the regular, but with extra snazzy details added. Also I feel its more true to charizard's traditional stats and battle role, as a special attacker, and drought makes it all the more awesome. Don't get me wrong - X is great too, but to me, its not charizard.

Can't decide which is cooler. Maybe X, cause a Dragon-type Charizard, that's the dream! I don't think either one should be described as "meh".

WHY. Whyyy did I pick Bulbasaur. Lol

X, because it looks cool and actually changes its type. when i heard that you could mega evolve at any time during the battle, and use it strategically, i expected there to be some actual strategy to it, such as a change in typing or a few stats increasing to the detriment of another. but as it stands there are very few mega evolutions that change types, very few (if any, i'm not quite sure) pokemon who have one or two stats that drop from mega evolution. so mega evolving basically equates to 'press this button to pump your pokemon full of steroids at the start of every battle, and make it look cooler'. it takes the concept of regular evolution, makes it impermanent, and gives you the 'choice' to mega evolve every match (in inverted commas because i take it most people would mega evolve at the beginning of every match, there is hardly a reason not to).

so at least with mega gyarados and mega charizard x, there's some element of strategy involved because you actually change type. you actually consider whether or not you SHOULD mega evolve, rather than it just being a mandatory precursor to selecting your first attack. that, and mega charizard x looks cooler imo.

Both made Charizard infinitely cooler, since Y has a sleek and aerodynamic design, while X is more menacing and edgy. I'd definitely have to go with X, since I've been in love with that design ever since it was first revealed.

Going with MCY - looks awesome, MCX looks so strange and ugly with black coloring.
and what @Sakuraa; mentioned is also true for me
I'm going with Y. It actually looks like a Mega Evolved Charizard to me. Not too many changes and closely resembles the original, but with a few additions to make it look more powerful. Mega Charizard X in my opinion looks too overdesigned. The black body, blue flames, weird as hell wings, and weird spikes on the arms are just too much for me. If I looked at it from afar, I probably wouldn't even recognize that it's related to Charizard. Not to mention that it did what I never wanted to happen to Chaizard and made it a dragon-type. While I still like Mega Charizard X and think it's totally awesome (it killed in Origins), Mega Charizard Y just looks more natural to me.

another reason I prefer MCY - @waterlubber; and my Pikazard plush
DSCN0956_zpszghs8met.jpg

waterlubber approves on the results of this poll.

As for my reasoning, aesthetically, in my opinion MCY has a better design in general. It actually seems like something Charizard would evolve to. Also, MCX is doing a constant air guitar and the flames and shoulder spikes look stupid.

Also, don't post in this anymore, I've already made a post but stop the necromancy before its too late!
(I only checked one post back, because I'm stoopid.)

Last edited:
Y easily. X looks straight up garbage and a mess.

Charizard Y so damn hard. The fact X is more marketed literally makes me sick; it did not deserve to be a Final Smash.

I like how Charizard Y isn't TOO dramatically different from the original but manages to be unique in its own way, which I like. It looks an actual dragon, which X fails at hard. I think X tried TOO hard to be edgy, which fails spectacularly. Also, it doesn't have flame whiskers. Also, Charizard Y is far better from a combat perspective in my experience; Drought + High Sp. Attack = Painful Fire Blast/Flamethrower. Charizard X tries too hard to be a mixed attacker but just remains average.

Even if Charizard Y didn't exist, I would still hate X. That's one of the very few Pokemon I downright hate.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom