• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
French is the second best language. Most because I am almost fluent. It annoyed me how in the credits of X and Y thy put in tacked on English lyrics to the song. The French lyrics flowed with the music.

It wasn't even a direct translation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Russian is nice because there are a lot of words that have multiple definitions. Now, that language also has a lot of rules, but WORDS CAN GO IN ANY ORDER. :D Huge bonus.

Russian is nice because there are a lot of words that have multiple definitions. Now, that language also has a lot of rules, but WORDS CAN GO IN ANY ORDER. :D Huge bonus.
You can talk when you get fluent.

This topic again. I know next to nothing about other languages, but I still don't get how English could be so relatively horrible, it seems like a bunch of nitpicking.

You know there's something wrong with a language when people misspell a lot of common words.

You know there's something wrong with a language when people misspell a lot of common words.
That totally indicates something is wrong with the language itself. Makes perfect sense. I swear the only reason you hate on it is because it's associated with America.

Meh, I guess it would be an indication of something being wrong with the language. Generally even if you misspell something people know what you mean, though. For example, I can't spell restaurant for so--wait, that's right, isn't it? Holy shit, I finally did it. After 18 years. ;w;

But yeah...also, how many languages can you say (at least to a decent level of certainty) don't suffer from the same issue, Zima? Because if you can only name a few, I'm going to have to dismiss your argument. I may not be able to defend English much with my level of knowledge, but it's certainly possible to figure out which arguments I should be listening to.

That totally indicates something is wrong with the language itself. Makes perfect sense. I swear the only reason you hate on it is because it's associated with America.
I was going to make that argument, but it could be an issue with the language as well as the people speaking it. And I get that feeling too, for a lot of the English haters, but since I can't disprove their argument...I do think they're at least exaggerating how bad it is, though, even if it is inferior to some degree.

It's fucking annoying, in my humble opinion, how people can just be so ungreatful. So what if English is difficult to spell or has shaky rules? You can't change it. You just around bitching about how bad the language is, in the same language. The spelling argument is ridiculous. Have you even studied French @Zima;? Now that's a language that's near impossible to spell considering how it's spoken.

For a language that is as horrible, if not atrocious, as some people have described, it has done remakably well.

It's fucking annoying, in my humble opinion, how people can just be so ungreatful. So what if English is difficult to spell or has shaky rules? You can't change it. You just around bitching about how bad the language is, in the same language. The spelling argument is ridiculous. Have you even studied French @Zima;? Now that's a language that's near impossible to spell considering how it's spoken.

For a language that is as horrible, if not atrocious, as some people have described, it has done remakably well.
*coughs a thousand times*

There's a difference between a typo due to typing haste and not knowing how to spell a word. Nice try Zeemer.

This argument doesn't mean anything until you reply to my post... ._.

What about the other English speaking countries? The U.K, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India... I think I'm missing one.

What about the other English speaking countries? The U.K, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India... I think I'm missing one.
You're not wrong about them speaking English, but she did say "because it's associated with America", which is true to some extent. Pretty sure America and Britain are the ones most associated with it, for obvious reasons.

v also I have fairies now, see. aren't they cute. bb code wouldn't fit sylveon but no big deal.

You're not wrong about them speaking English, but she did say "because it's associated with America", which is true to some extent. Pretty sure America and Britain are the ones most associated with it, for obvious reasons.

v also I have fairies now, see. aren't they cute. bb code wouldn't fit sylveon but no big deal.

So? German is mainly associated with Germany, even though it's also spoken in Austria, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. That doesn't stop people from learning it. Heck, if English is associated with America why do so many people learn it? Last time I checked, your not very popular overseas.

Yes, I can see.

So? German is mainly associated with Germany, even though it's also spoken in Austria, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. That doesn't stop people from learning it. Heck, if English is associated with America why do so many people learn it? Last time I checked, your not very popular overseas.
That's not what she was trying to say. :/ She meant that since it's often associated with America, it might be why some people hate on the language. Because they hate America.

It's kinda upsetting how many people hate America...I admit, I'm rather naive on the subject so I can't form much of an opinion myself, but since I've lived here my whole life I can't help but get pissed off when people jab at us. Sigh.

But dude, we have 50 fucking states. What other country has that many states?

We have 51 prefectures. As well as Mount Athos.

That's not what she was trying to say. :/ She meant that since it's often associated with America, it might be why some people hate on the language. Because they hate America.

It's kinda upsetting how many people hate America...I admit, I'm rather naive on the subject so I can't form much of an opinion myself, but since I've lived here my whole life I can't help but get pissed off when people jab at us. Sigh.

Well they're dumb. America has nothing to do with the language. This reminds me of the situation in France: They hate the British, so they demand you don't speak English there; They expect you to speak French.

Take a language without association to any set cultural group; Esperanto, for example. Some may like it. If however, there is once a nation of Esperanto-speaking people, this shouldn't change your opinion about the language. A language isn't defined by its speakers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom