• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How should/will the Harry Potter series end? (pure speculation)

How do you think/want HP to end?

• Harry defeats Voldemort once and for all, almost everybody is happy

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Harry defeats Voldemort, who swears to be back

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Voldemort defeats Harry, evil rules supreme

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Harry defeats Voldemort, takes over as the new dark lord

• Harry and Voldemort kill each other

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Harry and Voldemort remain locked in conflict, neither killing the other yet

• The entire world ends

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dagoth Ur

Reaction score
Well, now we're just two books away from Harry Potter's finale. Just to take a poll, I've thought up of several ways JK Rowling could conceivably end (or not) the conflict between Harry and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. I personally think that she'd take the Disney approach, despite how many eyebrows that would raise...

Harry and Voldemort are locked in deadly combat, throwing curses at each other and occasionally hitting.

Neville Longbottom, who is fighting nearby, trips over his own shoelaces and stumbles against Lord Voldemort, accidentally driving his wand through the Dark Lord's heart in the process.

Despite all the ways he has protected himself from death, and all his magic, Voldemort still can't survive a wooden stake through the heart.

And thus ends Book 7, Neville Longbottom and Voldemort's Big Mistake.

I'd think it be cool if they didn't defeat each other and had to go in a stalemate.
Where they can never end up killing each other, but Valdemont realizes this and gives up vanishing forever to reflect upon is his life... or goes crazy and distroys himself trying to get more power.

(that's never gonna happen though, plus the way I'm picturing it has a Final Fantasy feel... ^_^;; and as on a side note... I'm not really a Harry Potter fan...(meaning I don't like or dislike it))

I don't think there's any way JKR could create a satisfying ending if she leaves Voldemort alive. That guy has to die, man. Otherwise, how is the wizarding world any better off than it was at the end of the last war?

And personally, I'm of the opinion that Harry will live and get to start his own family with Ginny. Awww.

I see it ending in one of two ways:

A) Harry sacrifices himself to kill Voldemort.

B) Harry doesn't KILL Voldemort in a literal sense, just the Voldemort persona (who is somehow the undead spirit of Salazar Slytherin), leaving a repenting Tom Riddle behind.

Or both.

I really, really don't see Harry outliving the books. He's one of those characters with a single purpose - to kill Voldemort and save the world. Even if he survived, he problably wouldn't know what to do himself. Problably better to kill him off than end in anti-climax.

But to make it up to us, JRK has Hermione and Ron live happily ever after. :p Not that I'm especially fond of the pairing, it's just that Hermione and Ron's relationship mirrors that of Ron's parents to T. C'ept Hermione and Ron ain't married - yet.

On a similar note, Harry and Voldemort are looking at the Prophescy the wrong way. The HAVE to kill eachother, right? What happens if they refuse to fight? If one has to die at the other's hands, and they never try to kill eachother, they'd problably be immortal.

Even if they don't declair a truce, they're basically free to do anything they want (as long as it doesn't involve eachother) safe in the knowledge that they can't be killed unless the other is involved.

Harry might not be a sad when he realizes he can go up to a dragon and kick it in the genitals without a care in the world.

Last edited:
NeoKuwa said:
I see it ending in one of two ways:

A) Harry sacrifices himself to kill Voldemort.

B) Harry doesn't KILL Voldemort in a literal sense, just the Voldemort persona (who is somehow the undead spirit of Salazar Slytherin), leaving a repenting Tom Riddle behind.

Or both.

I really, really don't see Harry outliving the books. He's one of those characters with a single purpose - to kill Voldemort and save the world. Even if he survived, he problably wouldn't know what to do himself. Problably better to kill him off than end in anti-climax.

But to make it up to us, JRK has Hermione and Ron live happily ever after. :p Not that I'm especially fond of the pairing, it's just that Hermione and Ron's relationship mirrors that of Ron's parents to T. C'ept Hermione and Ron ain't married - yet.

On a similar note, Harry and Voldemort are looking at the Prophescy the wrong way. The HAVE to kill eachother, right? What happens if they refuse to fight? If one has to die at the other's hands, and they never try to kill eachother, they'd problably be immortal.

Even if they don't declair a truce, they're basically free to do anything they want (as long as it doesn't involve eachother) safe in the knowledge that they can't be killed unless the other is involved.

Harry might not be a sad when he realizes he can go up to a dragon and kick it in the genitals without a care in the world.

Oh, and I don't think Voldemort could bring the world to an end. The only reason he isn't a smoking, radioactive crater is because the muggles don't know about the Wizarding World.

The Wizard may think they're better, but let's be frank - science has advanced far past wizardry at this point. Even Voldemort wouldn't be able to withstand advanced weaponry such as nuclear bombs.

Sure, Voldemort might be able to exterminate the wizarding world, but when he comes up against 6 billion ticked-off muggles - he'd never survive open war against 'em. Especially since all the Death Eaters tend to never treat Muggles as a serious threat, so they problably haven't studied what modern muggles really are capable of.

If Harry looses, worse case scinerio - the wizards get wiped out and a couple thousand muggles die before Voldemort is turned into a bunch of atoms floating in the wind.

If Harry looses, worse case scinerio - the wizards get wiped out and a couple thousand muggles die before Voldemort is turned into a bunch of atoms floating in the wind.

Let's just hope Harry doesn't lose, then! ^_^

The reason I think Harry needs to survive the series is because, besides being an epic of good vs. evil, HP is also a coming-of-age story. One of the major themes of the books is Harry's search for a family, which is made explicit in the Mirror of Erised scene, and in his relationship with the Weasleys. One of the most interesting things about Erised is in Ron and Harry's respective visions: each of them wants what the other already has. Harry longs for a big, loving family (there were a lot of people in that mirror, it wasn't just his parents), which Ron has. And Ron wants recognition and fame, as personified by the mirror showing him as headboy and quidditch captain, and Harry has that in spades. The ironic thing is that Ron tends to take his family for granted, and Harry sees his fame as a burden rather than a positive thing, so neither can really appreciate the other's desire.

Of course, the sad thing about Harry's vision is that he cannot ever get his family back - they're dead. And the sad thing about Ron's vision is that he's looking for the things that don't matter - what does a headboy badge say about the person Ron is? Very little.

My prediction is that both Harry and Ron are going to acheive their Erised visions - just not in the way that they thought they wanted. Harry won't get Lily and James back, but he will come to accept the Weasleys as his new family, and also start one of his own with Ginny. And Ron will get to become headboy and quidditch captain -
He's already partway there, through being a prefect and Keeper on the Gryffindor team
- but he will realise that acheivements like these don't mean a thing when compared to "bravery and friendship" (to paraphrase Hermione). His true 'claim to fame' will come from being a loyal friend to Harry and helping to bring down Voldemort. And I think that Hermione is going to play an important role in helping him realise this.

Interestingly, my prediction for Ron doesn't require him to outlive the series (although I think he will, all the same), though my prediction for Harry does. A lot of people find the idea of such a happy ending rather nauseating - but hell, if any fictional character ever deserved a sickeningly happy ending, it's Harry Potter. ^_^

Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom