• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(READ FIRST POST) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I would really love it if they show which trainer is online while selecting a Friend Safari, for example having the not online ones avatar faded or something.

The design for Quilladin. Chespin looks okay, Chesnaught's pretty nifty, but in the middle it turns into this sort of vapid-looking beachball. Big letdown, especially racked up against the Gen 1 starters, whose middle evolutions are all pretty neat-looking.

Similarly, the design for Geninja irritates me. I knew from the beginning that the Froakie line wasn't to my taste, but I could sort of respect it from a distance until I realised its final form had its tongue wrapped around its neck as a scarf. A lot of people seem to get past that and think Geninja is cool-looking, but I just can't understand how you can think like that about a creature which is constantly licking itself as part of an attempt to mimick human clothing.

The design for Quilladin. Chespin looks okay, Chesnaught's pretty nifty, but in the middle it turns into this sort of vapid-looking beachball. Big letdown, especially racked up against the Gen 1 starters, whose middle evolutions are all pretty neat-looking.

Similarly, the design for Geninja irritates me. I knew from the beginning that the Froakie line wasn't to my taste, but I could sort of respect it from a distance until I realised its final form had its tongue wrapped around its neck as a scarf. A lot of people seem to get past that and think Geninja is cool-looking, but I just can't understand how you can think like that about a creature which is constantly licking itself as part of an attempt to mimick human clothing.

I actually ended up ditching Quilladin because of this, and I don't usually box my starter so early on, especially not because of looks, but I just couldn't get past how ridiculous it looked.

I actually ended up ditching Quilladin because of this, and I don't usually box my starter so early on, especially not because of looks, but I just couldn't get past how ridiculous it looked.
I feel your pain. When I first started Y I picked Fennekin, it was male but no big. Then it evolved into Braixen and ... I ... just ... couldn't ....

I started completely over and this time, the Fennekin I chose turned out to be female.

The major irony is that I'd played far enough that Braixen almost evolved to Delphox, and had I seen that through I'd probably have kept it (I view Delphox's design as vaguely masculine). Man, the fire starter line sure has gender issues this Gen....

The main thing about Quilladin that I don't like is it's eyes...there's something kind of creepy about them, but I can't place my finger on what it is. o_o

I'm still pretty disappointed by my inability to make good use of Delphox... That ones whole line is so neat to me. Maybe I should try breeding one (my starter has a +atk nature which certainly didn't help things much with it).

I feel your pain. When I first started Y I picked Fennekin, it was male but no big. Then it evolved into Braixen and ... I ... just ... couldn't ....

I started completely over and this time, the Fennekin I chose turned out to be female.

The major irony is that I'd played far enough that Braixen almost evolved to Delphox, and had I seen that through I'd probably have kept it (I view Delphox's design as vaguely masculine). Man, the fire starter line sure has gender issues this Gen....

I'm not a fan of Braxien either, but her animations at least made that part up to me. I thought it was pretty cool and unique how she uses that stick in her tail as a magic wand for some of her special moves.

I've been enjoying this gen for the most part, but a few complaints with the internet stuff...

1) My connection can get spotty, so sometimes when the "Connecting to the Internet... Please wait." bubble pops up, it won't go away. Even closing and opening the 3DS, which usually cuts the link doesn't always work. I wouldn't mind having a "stop connection attempt" option or something.
2) The lack of some sort of text-based communication in trade rooms. It's pretty hard to determine what the heck most passerby want in a trade; with the exception of some Vivillon trades. Preset text options would be nice.

I'm not a fan of Braxien either, but her animations at least made that part up to me. I thought it was pretty cool and unique how she uses that stick in her tail as a magic wand for some of her special moves.
Definitely a redeeming quality -- the animation looks absolutely the best when using Ember.

The lack of some sort of text-based communication in trade rooms. It's pretty hard to determine what the heck most passerby want in a trade; with the exception of some Vivillon trades. Preset text options would be nice.
Inorite? Voice chat is awesome if you have it enabled, but without it Gen 6 has less communication with the other player than Gen 5 did.

They arent glorifying kanto at all. A matter of fact gf sort of just forgets about one gen when they create a new one. If they were glorifying anto they wouldnt have made 600 more pokemon with 75% having better stats and movepools than the original. A matter of fact they try to make sure only pokemon gen 4 and up are usable competitively

I feel the Fairy type is too strong. As it stands, Fairies are strong against 2 of this gen's starters and several starters from previous gens.

They should have not made them 2X strong against dark, dragon and fighting types. For one thing it throws off the whole bloody match up chart that was held sacred for so many generations. I mean it use to be a Machamp could use a Jigglypuff as a punching bag because it was a normal type. Now the Jigglypuff just has to use Moonblast and the Machamp is mince meat. Plus a Dragonite use to be able to hit a Jigglypuff with dragon rage, now its immune and It makes no sense.

They should have made it where Fairy-types resists Dragon type moves, not make them completely immune. They should have also made it where they resist Fighting-types, but not 2x strong against them. As for the dark type thing, I guess its ok, but they should have made it where Psychic types are immune to fairies, and also be 2x effective against them. And because most of the Pokémon who were re-conned, and fairies in legend usually have some kind of wings, I think they should have 2x weakness to Electric types like flying-types. Also Steel types should have had full immunity to the little devils as well. I don't believe this would have made Steel-types too strong, since most of them have a double weakness to fire/ground types as it is.

After all a Lucario is Fighting-Steel, but even though Steel is 2x Strong against Fairies, and resists their moves, Lucario stands no chance against a Moonblast attack. I hardly even see where its steel-typing is resisting anything, it might as well be pure fighting type.

As for Fairies having immunity, If anything, Fairies should have had immunity to ghost and grass types. At the very least they should resist Ghost types. Also Grass should be have been immune to fairies unless a move makes it otherwise. I feel Grass and Fairy types should be to each other the same way Normal and Ghost types are.

They arent glorifying kanto at all. A matter of fact gf sort of just forgets about one gen when they create a new one. If they were glorifying anto they wouldnt have made 600 more pokemon with 75% having better stats and movepools than the original. A matter of fact they try to make sure only pokemon gen 4 and up are usable competitively
They aren't glorifying Kanto? Are you kidding me? Mewtwo and Charizard got TWO Mega Evolutions where not a single Gen 5 pokemon got one, most Mega Evos are Kanto pokemon, you get a Kanto starter near the beggining of the game, you catch a freaking Kanto Bird and Mewtwo in the post-game, if this is not over glorifying Kanto i don't know what it is.

They aren't glorifying Kanto? Are you kidding me? Mewtwo and Charizard got TWO Mega Evolutions where not a single Gen 5 pokemon got one, most Mega Evos are Kanto pokemon, you get a Kanto starter near the beggining of the game, you catch a freaking Kanto Bird and Mewtwo in the post-game, if this is not over glorifying Kanto i don't know what it is.

1. if it was it is long over due. Kanto and johto were pretty much abandoned though they started the series. And 2. they needed mega evolutions just to be able to compete with newer pokemon. Plus the reason they used more kanto pokemon for mega evos was to try to link the new with the old which they finally learned how to do. I was kind of getting tired of the stories not having any relation except for johto and kanto. And going with your logic, who was the first mega evo? Oh yeah, lucario. Must be glorifying gen 4.

In short, gen 1 and 2 never got the kind of recognition they deserved so im glad they are finally getting something but the second they do someone who started playing in gen 4 has to complain that we didnt leave old pokemon behind and just get rid of them entirely

I feel the Fairy type is too strong. As it stands, Fairies are strong against 2 of this gen's starters and several starters from previous gens.

They should have not made them 2X strong against dark, dragon and fighting types. For one thing it throws off the whole bloody match up chart that was held sacred for so many generations. I mean it use to be a Machamp could use a Jigglypuff as a punching bag because it was a normal type. Now the Jigglypuff just has to use Moonblast and the Machamp is mince meat. Plus a Dragonite use to be able to hit a Jigglypuff with dragon rage, now its immune and It makes no sense.

They should have made it where Fairy-types resists Dragon type moves, not make them completely immune. They should have also made it where they resist Fighting-types, but not 2x strong against them. As for the dark type thing, I guess its ok, but they should have made it where Psychic types are immune to fairies, and also be 2x effective against them. And because most of the Pokémon who were re-conned, and fairies in legend usually have some kind of wings, I think they should have 2x weakness to Electric types like flying-types. Also Steel types should have had full immunity to the little devils as well. I don't believe this would have made Steel-types too strong, since most of them have a double weakness to fire/ground types as it is.

After all a Lucario is Fighting-Steel, but even though Steel is 2x Strong against Fairies, and resists their moves, Lucario stands no chance against a Moonblast attack. I hardly even see where its steel-typing is resisting anything, it might as well be pure fighting type.

As for Fairies having immunity, If anything, Fairies should have had immunity to ghost and grass types. At the very least they should resist Ghost types. Also Grass should be have been immune to fairies unless a move makes it otherwise. I feel Grass and Fairy types should be to each other the same way Normal and Ghost types are.

yeah, nintendo really dropped the ball on that. And they are the only type you cant determine just by looking at them. i mean mr.mime a fairy? really? I never would have known that without looking it up

Last edited by a moderator:

1. if it was it is long over due. Kanto and johto were pretty much abandoned though they started the series. And 2. they needed mega evolutions just to be able to compete with newer pokemon. Plus the reason they used more kanto pokemon for mega evos was to try to link the new with the old which they finally learned how to do. I was kind of getting tired of the stories not having any relation except for johto and kanto. And going with your logic, who was the first mega evo? Oh yeah, lucario. Must be glorifying gen 4.

In short, gen 1 and 2 never got the kind of recognition they deserved so im glad they are finally getting something but the second they do someone who started playing in gen 4 has to complain that we didnt leave old pokemon behind and just get rid of them entirely
FYI first mega evo was Mega Mewtwo Y wich is a freaking Kanto pokemon, your logic is really flawed because they gave mega evos to Gen 1 pokemon that didn't needed them like Alakazam, Gengar, Gyarados, Mewtwo (it got two to make matters even worse) and why did Charizard get two while Blastoise and Venusaur got one ? The answer: GF pandering to the nostalgia blinded Gen 1 fans to try to win them back. Also they gave mega evolutions based around popularity and not because some pokemon needed them, oh because Tyranitar, Scizor, Lucario and Garchomp desperately needed a mega evo...not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fairies needed more than Dragons to be SE against, otherwise they basically become dragons by another name (since Dragon is the only element SE against just one thing). The added SE against Dark and Fighting is manageable. Fairy's resistance to Dark also helps separate Dark and Ghost attacks from each other (which are otherwise pretty similar considering they are both SE against the exact same elements).

And I don't know about you but my Lucario actually took a full-on Moonblast from the Champ's Mega Gardevoir (who was actually FASTER due to being higher levelled) and lived to tell about it (and score a winning blow). Whereas my Absol never even got off a shot.

FYI first mega evo was Mega Mewtwo Y wich is a freaking Kanto pokemon, your logic is really flawed because they gave mega evos to Gen 1 pokemon that didn't needed them like Alakazam, Gengar, Gyarados, Mewtwo (it got two to make matters even worse) and why did Charizard get two while Blastoise and Venusaur got one ? The answer: GF pandering to the nostalgia blinded Gen 1 fans to try to win them back. Also they gave mega evolutions based around popularity and not because some pokemon needed them, oh because Tyranitar, Scizor, Lucario and Garchomp desperately needed a mega evo...not.[/QUOTE]

No the first mega evo was lucario if you took 5 seconds to look up the mega evo article on here you would know that. And it seems to me you are just upset because you use the most overused pokemon in the game and now that others can compete you have no idea what to do because you have no true skill. So I think you should be off practicing instead of complaining about how kanto pokemon are relevant again. Granted not all pokemon needed it but they are here to stay so QQ somewhere else ;D

No the first mega evo was lucario if you took 5 seconds to look up the mega evo article on here you would know that. And it seems to me you are just upset because you use the most overused pokemon in the game and now that others can compete you have no idea what to do because you have no true skill. So I think you should be off practicing instead of complaining about how kanto pokemon are relevant again. Granted not all pokemon needed it but they are here to stay so QQ somewhere else ;D
You don't understand sarcasm, do you? I was being sarcastic when i said Garchomp, Tyranitar, Scizor and Lucario because they defintely didn't need a mega evo. FYI i been plaing since Gen 1 and i don't hate Gen 1 but it really pisses me off that GF is over glorifying Kanto in hope of gaining the Gen 1 crowd back. And you basically lost the argument by making blind assumptions that i use overused pokemon and i have no skill, i couldn't care less if they gave mega evos to Gen 1 pokemon if it meant they were giving mega evos to Gen 5 pokemon too but they didn't and basically means they over glorifying Kanto by giving it the most mega evos. And i did some research and Mega Mewtwo Y was the first mega evolution to be revealed. And since you are making blind assumptions i'm gonna stop the argument here and not waste my time.

Last edited:
Mega-evos aside. I'm going to have to disagree with the argument that early-gen Pokemon are useless. I built my Black 2 team as a high-aggression team and it has 3 Gen 1 Pokemon (Gengar, Jolteon, and Gyarados) and a gen 2 Pokemon (Scizor) on it. Even with gen 6 and the fairy type, I see little reason why those four aren't still useful.

If anything, I'm a bit more upset at how my favorite gen 5 pokemon (Zoroark), got a bit shafted by the Fairy-type this gen.

Something that really dawns on me now;

music.

There are tracks I like, but there's an incredible amount of tracks I absolutely HATE.

The Gym leader and E4 battle theme, for example. I don't want to rave, I want to battle!
And also that REALLY ear-grating theme that plays every other route (like Route 7). Especially since I only hear the first bit over and over again!

FYI first mega evo was Mega Mewtwo Y wich is a freaking Kanto pokemon, your logic is really flawed because they gave mega evos to Gen 1 pokemon that didn't needed them like Alakazam, Gengar, Gyarados, Mewtwo (it got two to make matters even worse) and why did Charizard get two while Blastoise and Venusaur got one ? The answer: GF pandering to the nostalgia blinded Gen 1 fans to try to win them back. Also they gave mega evolutions based around popularity and not because some pokemon needed them, oh because Tyranitar, Scizor, Lucario and Garchomp desperately needed a mega evo...not.

No the first mega evo was lucario if you took 5 seconds to look up the mega evo article on here you would know that. And it seems to me you are just upset because you use the most overused pokemon in the game and now that others can compete you have no idea what to do because you have no true skill. So I think you should be off practicing instead of complaining about how kanto pokemon are relevant again. Granted not all pokemon needed it but they are here to stay so QQ somewhere else ;D[/QUOTE]

Wow. Rude much? Not to mention making assumptions based on *sarcasm*. Especially since GF/Nintendo *did* pander to the Gen 1ers in X/Y with Mega Evos. Learn some manners, hun; maybe then we can have a well-articulated debate over the validity of Kanto/Johto Pokémon being glorified/overused.

[no offense meant towards you, Norzan!]

Wow. Rude much? Not to mention making assumptions based on *sarcasm*. Especially since GF/Nintendo *did* pander to the Gen 1ers in X/Y with Mega Evos. Learn some manners, hun; maybe then we can have a well-articulated debate over the validity of Kanto/Johto Pokémon being glorified/overused.

[no offense meant towards you, Norzan!][/QUOTE]

Hey, sorry you guys are so upset over this and feel the need to cry at every sign of criticism. But hey I like the changes so I will just enjoy them while you guys cry on the forums ;D

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom