• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you use the GTS?

I sometimes use GTS to find Egg Moves'ed mons, but some people use it to get lots (and lots) of shinies. Lucky for them.

Actually, I assume the negotiations still exist in XY as an obscure feature. A few times I've accidentally "flung" a Pokémon upwards instead of plain tapping on it and it was displayed in a special spot above the boxes; as all of my trades have been fixed ones, I haven't really had time to play around with that and verify if it's the same as in Gen V. (If you choose "Summary" after both parties have selected their Pokémon, I'd remember it shows a 6-slot grid, too.)
You're thinking of Gen V. XY's trade system doesn't respond to clicking and dragging Pokemon onscreen.

No, I'm definitely thinking of XY, I'm not that confused :p I'll need to arrange a test run with someone sometime later to verify my beliefs.

I really only use GTS to find Pokes with Egg moves, but other than that, I'll like wonder trade more.

Since you can leave a message when you put something on the GTS, I keep making generous offers (Chespin for Caterpie or something) and asking for a specific nickname with the message. Thus far, nobody has nicknamed any Pokemon like I asked ;_;

You really, really need to be able to rename traded Pokemon so long as they don't already have nicknames. I can understand not being able to rename a Pokemon if they already have a nickname, but if they just have their species name, why not?

Since you can leave a message when you put something on the GTS, I keep making generous offers (Chespin for Caterpie or something) and asking for a specific nickname with the message. Thus far, nobody has nicknamed any Pokemon like I asked ;_;
I keep asking for a Riolu in a Great Ball and nobody's given me that either :( I found a male in a Great Ball with hidden ability, but apparently when you breed with Ditto you can pass down abilities but not ball. Which means I absolutely need a female....

Oh, and I recently acquired Jungle Vivillon. That makes 14!

We need to make a topic on the GTS board specifically for "I want X in Y Ball" trades.

It's funny, in past generations, nobody seemed to care about Pokeballs. When I'd ask for Pokemon in specific balls, people would usually act like it was weird, or tell me "luxury ball's best it has an actual effect, just use those."

Now that X and Y introduced ball-passing, though, everyone seems to care.

I always keep asking for specific Vivillon when I trade them or Scatterbug on the GTS and no one ever listens. I kept getting Elegant so I made the message "no elegant" in all caps and I still get them constantly >.> The message feature of it is kind of a waste because no one reads them.

I give up on Vivillon hunting on the GTS.

Unfortunately, that's true. When I first played X, and first logged onto the GTS and saw the messages thing, I was so excited. Aside from my Star Six (the six main Pokemon I use in a given game, which I take to the Elite Four), and some old favorites, I like to have all my Pokemon have different OTIDs than mine, but I also like them to be nicknamed.

So in Gens IV and V, the GTS was useless to me, since you can't rename traded Pokemon and there was no way for me to tell people what names I wanted. Now, there's a way, but as you said, nobody reads them T_T

I'll keep trying, though. At the very least, it gets me Pokemiles.

EDIT: Oh, but I do sometimes successfully use the GTS to get utility Pokemon. Like, I want a high-level Pokemon that knows Pickup, just to get lots of items as I go through the game. In Gen V I was able to get a Level 50 Zigzagoon that way by offering a Charmander.

Or oh, another good example -- I wanna get a Level 40ish male Gyrados so I can breed Ice Fang and Dragon Dance onto a Tyrantrum. I haven't seen Magikarp or Gyrados in Gen VI yet, but as soon as I do, I'll put something good up for a Level 40 Magikarp. And someone will probably make the trade.

Mostly, though, I use the GTS for generosity. In Gen IV, I'd put starters up for Shinxes and other super-early mons. Figure I might make the day of some kids who don't use forums and don't know any other way to get starters.

Last edited:
GTS allowed me to get all the non-Event Legendaries (except Darkrai, who I just can't find!! I've had a Cresselia up for days for one... thought I'd get something) in the course of the weekend. Now I don't really need it. I don't even bother looking for Events on there and I'm tired of when I want a regular pokemon (even if it is Transfer only for X/Y) often having people ask for Mews and other Legends. I mean, WTF?! So for the most part, I'll probably rely on the forum's GTS to fill out my dex from here on out.

I'd like an added feature where I can pick something I want to trade and then see everything people are asking for it. That way, rather than got pokemon by pokemon I need I can just start with what I have to offer and see what's out there to get for it.

Last edited:
That'd be a great addition. I also want them to add the ability to specify Ability, Moves and Nickname in addition to just Level and Gender.

GTS allowed me to get all the non-Event Legendaries (except Darkrai, who I just can't find!! I've had a Cresselia up for days for one... thought I'd get something) in the course of the weekend. Now I don't really need it. I don't even bother looking for Events on there and I'm tired of when I want a regular pokemon (even if it is Transfer only for X/Y) often having people ask for Mews and other Legends. I mean, WTF?! So for the most part, I'll probably rely on the forum's GTS to fill out my dex from here on out.

I'd like an added feature where I can pick something I want to trade and then see everything people are asking for it. That way, rather than got pokemon by pokemon I need I can just start with what I have to offer and see what's out there to get for it.
darkrai is an event pokemon

Ah, well that explains that as well as why I don't remember him. I've never gotten an Event due to never havin decent wifi for ds or able to go to a location giving them. Don't know why I thought he was in game. Thanks for the info.

Sort of. It's like Victini in a way: you need an event item to get there, but once you're there you get to fight the Pokemon and catch it regularly (non-event style).

As for me...

Still looking for a Riolu lass in a Great Ball, I tweaked my GTS message to "in GreatBall plz" (yes, I had to CamelCase it to make it fit but whatever). It's been 12 24 hours and no takers. Compared to getting trades within 1-4 hours all the previous times I asked for a Lv.30 female Riolu (with message of "Great Ball plz").

Also: Archipelago Vivillon GET! They wanted a Chinchou in return. Seriously, the prevo for my favorite fish Pokemon? OF COURSE I HAVE ONE.

Last edited:
The Larvestas I'm placing on the GTS are so popular that they're being traded off every few hours. It won't be long before I fill up the entire Kalos dex minus the legendary birds simply by trading.

The demand for Larvestas is incredible.

That seems weird to me considering it's a Safari pokemon :/

Then again back when I was searching for bank mons Castform was very popular. I guess the trends change every so often.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom